Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is the best player in the premier league/who will have the best season next year? Watch

• View Poll Results: Best player in the premier league
    Sanchez
    7.26%
    Ozil
    6.45%
    Hazard
    12.90%
    Mata
    1.61%
    Diego Costa
    2.42%
    Daniel Sturridge
    4.84%
    Raheem Sterling
    3.23%
    Robin Van Persie
    4.03%
    Vincent Kompany
    3.23%
    John Terry
    1.61%
    Fabregas
    4.03%
    Mertesacker
    0.81%
    David Silva
    1.61%
    Sergio Aguero
    8.87%
    Yaya Toure
    34.68%
    Other
    2.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    Very close call between Hazard and Toure but I gave it to Hazard because I think Toure might be able to get out of the BPL this summer, he clearly wants out and there is no way at all he would be allowed to go to a premier league rival.
    Players like Sterling and Sturridge need to have another big season before they can be considered as the best whilst if players like Fabregas, Mata, Ozil, Silva and Aguero perform as well as they can they will be right up there as well.
    I get that it was just a list that you made up but I would say Sterling, Terry and Mertesacker have no right to even be considered. Sterling has only had less than 1 good season whilst Terry and Mertesacker have had fantastic careers but are no longer good enough to be up there.
    Terry is easily good enough to be on that list.

You say nothing about Kompany yet you say Terry isn't good enough to be on the list. Terry is the best CB in the league lets be honest here. Kompany regularly makes defensive errors and I'd like defenders to be able to defend first and foremost. If you can tell me a reason as to why Terry shouldn't be on the list and Kompany should then I won't call you out for hypocrisy.

Sterling fair enough, he waltzed into a title challenge, if I had more options I'd have picked Ramsey as well and potato head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Aguero > Suarez if he wasn't so injury prone

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
    lol :rolleyes:
    If Aguero was fit all season he'd have scored as many as Suarez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Yaya Toure. If he wasn't African/Muslim he would have won the PFA player of the year and ballon d'or by now.
    In which season was he the best player in the world, or even the premier league?

ReputationRep:
    I can guarantee that Toure will not have the best season this year.

Being good at set pieces and taking their penalties don't make you the best player in the league either. He's not even the best player in his team, he's joint second with Silva. How can he be the best player in the league. It's between Hazard and Aguero.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    This list is hilarious. I clicked the thread expecting serious discussion. Sterling? Terry? Ozil? Come on, might as well slap Torres on there.

Aguero gets my vote but will admit considered Hazard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    If Aguero was fit all season he'd have scored as many as Suarez.
    You can't just assume stuff like that ...

This shows Aguero < Suarez:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...010.E2.80.9311

http://talksport.com/poll/poll-who-b...ro-13110667128

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...135614309.html

And this is Pellegrini and his awesome, cool, Chilean bias for Aguero (yes I know Aguero is Argentinian).

ReputationRep:
    You can't just assume stuff like that ...

This shows Aguero < Suarez:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...010.E2.80.9311

http://talksport.com/poll/poll-who-b...ro-13110667128

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...135614309.html

And this is Pellegrini and his awesome, cool, Chilean bias for Aguero (yes I know Aguero is Argentinian).
    I can just assume it, because the whole point of this was to see how Aguero would do if he was fit all season.

Yes, Suarez scored more but as we've seen Aguero was injured a lot.

A poll shows nothing lol, football fans are known for jumping on the bandwagon.

That's from December, when Suarez was having a brilliant season. He dropped off in the second half.

ReputationRep:
    I can just assume it, because the whole point of this was to see how Aguero would do if he was fit all season.

Yes, Suarez scored more but as we've seen Aguero was injured a lot.

A poll shows nothing lol, football fans are known for jumping on the bandwagon.

That's from December, when Suarez was having a brilliant season. He dropped off in the second half.
    OK ..... lol :rolleyes:

Would have expected a manure fan chant "Rooney Rooney Rooney" .... or RVP

ReputationRep:
    OK ..... lol :rolleyes:

Would have expected a manure fan chant "Rooney Rooney Rooney" .... or RVP
    strong argument brah

ReputationRep:
    strong argument brah
    Not much better from you.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    This list is hilarious. I clicked the thread expecting serious discussion. Sterling? Terry? Ozil? Come on, might as well slap Torres on there.

Terry has been the best CB in the league. If you actually watch football you'd realise this. Nobody says a thing about Kompany yet Terry, the best defender in the best defence in the league is suddenly a poor defender.

Also we're talking about the best player in the league. Ozil has shown at Madrid that he's a very good player. He had a turbulent second half to the season because he didn't have the right players around him, he requires fast wingers and midfielders who make runs behind the defence, Walcott got injured, Ramsey got injured. Ozil doesn't perform. It's easy to bash Ozil but honestly if Mata is in the picture, so should Ozil be, who are at the same level and suffered similar problems in the second half of the season.

Sterling was included because he was forefront to Liverpool's title challenge, just as much as Suarez considering Suarez faded after he thrashed as many minnows as possible in the first half of the season.

ReputationRep:
    I can guarantee that Toure will not be the best player in the premier league next season either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)

Exactly my thought with those three especially. Theres someone here (Chelsea fan) arguing that Terry should be there because he plays in the most defensive team in Europe and they don't concede many goals.

Also "Sterling was at the forefront to Liverpool's title challenge, just as much as Suarez." Just Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Terry is easily good enough to be on that list.

You say nothing about Kompany yet you say Terry isn't good enough to be on the list. Terry is the best CB in the league lets be honest here. Kompany regularly makes defensive errors and I'd like defenders to be able to defend first and foremost. If you can tell me a reason as to why Terry shouldn't be on the list and Kompany should then I won't call you out for hypocrisy.

Sterling fair enough, he waltzed into a title challenge, if I had more options I'd have picked Ramsey as well and potato head.
    Completely agree with potato head (assuming you mean Rooney, can't think who else) but for Ramsey I would use the same argument as Sterling, he has only had 1 good season and maybe after next season he should be considered.
    I also agree that Terry is a very good player and does regularly appear to be the best defender in the league but I do not think he actually is.
    Firstly Chelsea's philosophy and many recent managers has been relatively defensive (compared to City) and with normally 2 holding midfielders who don't really go forward such as Matic, Ramires and even Luiz at times. This means that Terry has a lot of cover and this makes him seem better than I think he is. Terry has an obvious weakness in a lack of pace but he often makes up for it positionally. Because he has the cover he does, it is not often that a fast player gets to run directly at him and uncover that weakness. In contrast Kompany has been in very attacking teams where Fernandinho is considered the holding midfielder whilst Toure runs around doing what he wants (very, very effectively.) He has also had players such as Javi Garcia who is defensive, but not very good and also Milner who works hard but doesn't provide much cover.
    Secondly Terry has mostly been partnered with Cahill who I think is a fantastic defender (despite a poor world cup) and he is exceptionally good at covering for other defenders (he covered for 3 crap defenders in world cup) and I think another reason that Terry's lack of pace is rarely exposed is that Cahill covers for him well. Terry is very good tactically and often deals with things himself and he did relatively well when partnered with Luiz who provided no cover but individually, I think Kompany is actually a better defender.
    Kompany does make defensive errors but I think that is because he is partnered with very average centre backs a lot for City and he has relatively attacking full backs who often bomb forward whereas for Chelsea, Azpilicuta rarely goes forwards (largely because he is right footed) and Ivanovic does wander occasionally but never both at the same time.
    To sum up (I imagine most people can't be bothered reading it all,) Terry is very good but he is made to look even better by a solid system, defensive full backs and a top quality centre back partner whereas Kompany has almost no protection from midfield, no cover from other defenders and City's full backs are more like wing backs which allows his mistakes to be exposed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    Completely agree with potato head (assuming you mean Rooney, can't think who else) but for Ramsey I would use the same argument as Sterling, he has only had 1 good season and maybe after next season he should be considered.
    I also agree that Terry is a very good player and does regularly appear to be the best defender in the league but I do not think he actually is.
    Firstly Chelsea's philosophy and many recent managers has been relatively defensive (compared to City) and with normally 2 holding midfielders who don't really go forward such as Matic, Ramires and even Luiz at times. This means that Terry has a lot of cover and this makes him seem better than I think he is. Terry has an obvious weakness in a lack of pace but he often makes up for it positionally. Because he has the cover he does, it is not often that a fast player gets to run directly at him and uncover that weakness. In contrast Kompany has been in very attacking teams where Fernandinho is considered the holding midfielder whilst Toure runs around doing what he wants (very, very effectively.) He has also had players such as Javi Garcia who is defensive, but not very good and also Milner who works hard but doesn't provide much cover.
    Secondly Terry has mostly been partnered with Cahill who I think is a fantastic defender (despite a poor world cup) and he is exceptionally good at covering for other defenders (he covered for 3 crap defenders in world cup) and I think another reason that Terry's lack of pace is rarely exposed is that Cahill covers for him well. Terry is very good tactically and often deals with things himself and he did relatively well when partnered with Luiz who provided no cover but individually, I think Kompany is actually a better defender.
    Kompany does make defensive errors but I think that is because he is partnered with very average centre backs a lot for City and he has relatively attacking full backs who often bomb forward whereas for Chelsea, Azpilicuta rarely goes forwards (largely because he is right footed) and Ivanovic does wander occasionally but never both at the same time.
    To sum up (I imagine most people can't be bothered reading it all,) Terry is very good but he is made to look even better by a solid system, defensive full backs and a top quality centre back partner whereas Kompany has almost no protection from midfield, no cover from other defenders and City's full backs are more like wing backs which allows his mistakes to be exposed.
    The system helps Terry, but the system City play should also help Kompany, he relies on his pace to cover in one on one situations. There are times where he struggles, which is when the CMs have left a gap between midfield and defence but then Kompany goes and dives in challenges to close down that space. City play a relatively high line to congest the space as well.

Ivanovic goes forward quite a bit. Ramires is a box to box midfielder so bombs forward quite often, not as often as he did under Villas Boas and Ancelotti I admit though.

Cahill is overrated imo. For all his last ditch tackles he gets it's mainly down to him not marking his man tightly enough, this makes his last ditch tackles seem great but when Terry is one on one marking a defender he's quite good, if there's space then he's done for pace no doubt but he is very good at the aggressive defending if need be. Cahill has good pace, good in the air, got good build up play and makes a couple decent tackles. That's it for him. Terry is the better defender.

There's also his build up play from the back, which imo is just as good as Kompany's, Only players better in build up play are people in the Ramos/Bonucci/Dante territory.

Also there's things such as
    Can't say that's down to a lack of protection from the CBs. Kompany since the end of the 11/12 season hasn't been himself personally. It's the same with people saying that Joe Hart was the best keeper in England when he was making mistake after mistake for the best part of 18 months... Reputation is basically what is giving him such a name.

Also to make up for the reason I included Sterling. The thread title has been tweaked slightly, which was what I originally meant to say, as in who would be the best player in the league this season?

ReputationRep:
    Hazard will be interesting to watch next year. He's a fine player no doubt but he doesn't have what it takes to reach that next level due to the way his team played last year. Towards the end of Cesc' stay at Arsenal there were times where his team mates would pass to him to create a bit of magic, in other words the creative burden that Hazard had last year. With Cesc at Chelsea you would expect the creative burden to lessen on him which would result in varied attacking play. I still think Schurrle will be one of Chelsea's important players though and should be starting over Willian, gives a more direct option and more of a goal threat.

I don't think there is one player that stands out in the PL now that Suarez has left. I think the likes of Aguero and RVP when fully fit are the best purely because they take their teams to that next level. I would make Alexis the dark horse, his potential is ridiculous.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can guarantee that Toure will not have the best season this year.

Being good at set pieces and taking their penalties don't make you the best player in the league either. He's not even the best player in his team, he's joint second with Silva. How can he be the best player in the league. It's between Hazard and Aguero.
    Goes to show how poor the league is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    Goes to show how poor the league is.
    It is very much accepted that the English league is not the best in terms of quality. There are better players in the Spanish and German leagues and I think the BPL is third in that sense.
    The biggest difference between the leagues is that the English leagues (certainly the top 2) are so much more competitive that those in other countries. Midtable teams in the championship could comfortably survive at the lower end of the Spanish and German leagues because there is no strength in depth there. The top teams are very good but after that, the quality is very poor. That is partly what makes the premier league more exciting, every single game really could go either way. There is always that chance that Crystal Palace will draw to Liverpool, that Cardiff will beat City, that Sunderland will win at Stamford Bridge. The excitement comes from unpredictability rather than sheer quality (which still isn't bad.)

ReputationRep:
    The system helps Terry, but the system City play should also help Kompany, he relies on his pace to cover in one on one situations. There are times where he struggles, which is when the CMs have left a gap between midfield and defence but then Kompany goes and dives in challenges to close down that space. City play a relatively high line to congest the space as well.

Ivanovic goes forward quite a bit. Ramires is a box to box midfielder so bombs forward quite often, not as often as he did under Villas Boas and Ancelotti I admit though.

Cahill is overrated imo. For all his last ditch tackles he gets it's mainly down to him not marking his man tightly enough, this makes his last ditch tackles seem great but when Terry is one on one marking a defender he's quite good, if there's space then he's done for pace no doubt but he is very good at the aggressive defending if need be. Cahill has good pace, good in the air, got good build up play and makes a couple decent tackles. That's it for him. Terry is the better defender.

There's also his build up play from the back, which imo is just as good as Kompany's, Only players better in build up play are people in the Ramos/Bonucci/Dante territory.

Also there's things such as
    Can't say that's down to a lack of protection from the CBs. Kompany since the end of the 11/12 season hasn't been himself personally. It's the same with people saying that Joe Hart was the best keeper in England when he was making mistake after mistake for the best part of 18 months... Reputation is basically what is giving him such a name.

Also to make up for the reason I included Sterling. The thread title has been tweaked slightly, which was what I originally meant to say, as in who would be the best player in the league this season?
    Demichelis finished the season strongly but there were times when Kompany was playing in 3 defensive positions all by himself. Demichelis spent half his time on the half way line, on the floor having just missed a rash challenge and Kompany would have to cover for him and whichever (or both) of the fullbacks went bombing forward. He had to do so with very little cover from midfield as Fernandinho did his best but just isn't defensive enough.
    It is a lot of pressure to be consistently playing in 3 positions and marking 2-3 players and at times it will cause him to make mistakes. Kompany gets isolated on a regular basis whilst Terry almost never does.
    I agree with what you said about Cahill's last ditch tackles making him look good but I was talking more about how well he covers for other defenders. If someone does use pace to get past Terry (which is rare given how often people actually get the chance to run directly at him due to cover) then Cahill will be behind him ready to make a challenge or hold up play.
    In terms of build up play there are relatively even but I don't even consider that usually. I think Liverpool is absolute proof that no matter what else they can do, defenders who can't defend will not help out much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.