Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best condiment? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which is the champion Condiment?
    Ketchup
    32.76%
    Brown Sauce
    1.72%
    Mayonaise
    15.52%
    Mustard
    3.45%
    Soy Sauce
    3.45%
    Tartare Sauce
    2.59%
    Sweet Chilli
    9.48%
    Cranberry Sauce
    0.86%
    Hot Sauce
    4.31%
    Worcestershire Sauce
    4.31%
    Other(I will specify with reasons in the thread)
    6.03%
    BBQ Sauce
    15.52%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Mayonnaise. I hate it being called mayo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's wrong with calling it mayo?

(Original post by TSA)
    I like to cause havoc. I mix ketchup and mayo to create the greatest condiment ever made, only other condiment that comes close is the southwest chipotle sauce.
    that is a nice condiment actually. do enjoy that mixture. Mixing it Ketchup/mustard is very common as well.

southwest is lovely, on an Italian BMT especially.

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    From scratch with spices & fresh ginger, garlic, cloves etc. Pork vindaloo is my favourite so far. This is the next one I'll do, haven't done it yet but it looks excellent.

Agree about the mayonnaise, same with butter, cheese etc. Just buy the real thing.
    Ooo, Fancy, i'm too lazy/cheap to get all the raw fresh ingredients.

Exactly, If you're going to have cheese then have proper cheese. Even the healthy cheese i bad so it may as well taste nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    that is a nice condiment actually. do enjoy that mixture. Mixing it Ketchup/mustard is very common as well.

southwest is lovely, on an Italian BMT especially.
    I've never had mustard on its own surprisingly but have visited Colemans Mustard museum.

I'm more of chicken tikka kinda guy, and southwest on that is amazing.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I voted Soy sauce...it's one of my favourites! I put it on my crackers to make an awesome sandwich and eat away like it's some delight from a French delicatassen! :drools:

ReputationRep:
    BBQ Sauce - but the sweet and smoky kind, not the spicy one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I've never had mustard on its own surprisingly but have visited Colemans Mustard museum.

I'm more of chicken tikka kinda guy, and southwest on that is amazing.
    Is the Mustard mueseum interesting?

(Original post by Fashion Girl)
    I voted Soy sauce...it's one of my favourites! I put it on my crackers to make an awesome sandwich and eat away like it's some delight from a French delicatassen! :drools:

Crackers + soy sauce = a sandwich?

ReputationRep:
    It's like a yearly thing for me to switch between ketchup and BBQ sauce so one year I'll only ever feel like using ketchup then the next I'll only prefer the taste of BBQ sauce so it's hard for me to vote on a favourite. At the moment, I'm in one of my ketchup phases.

I love soy sauce though and use it a lot when I'm cooking and I also like McDonald's sweet and sour sauce

ReputationRep:
    Ketchup. All Day. Every Day

I go through 1 1/2 big bottles a week.

ReputationRep:
    Madras curry sauce for my chips.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't that interesting had the history of the company and mustard but what amazed me was the vast array of all things Mustard.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Crackers + soy sauce = a sandwich?
    If you place two of them together with a soy sauce filling yes...tastes better than veggies and is (cheaper and) healthier than hard cheese :lolwut: !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaolin Punk)
    My favorite condiments

Eww my mum loves that first pepper sauce

ReputationRep:
    BBQ sauce.

You missed out Salad Cream, that stuff is nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoatsInATree)
    Eww my mum loves that first pepper sauce
    that's cause your mom's a badass
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That actually sounds like a reallly really nice condiment! I may see if there's a lazy version i can just buy off the shelf first though since i lack a food processor. #

Any ready-made versions that don't suck?

Uhm no... not in the UK at least. I wouldn't buy the bottled stuff as it goes watery and splits if kept for more than 3 days. I have tried near equivalents and to be honest, after trying the recipe i gave, there is nothing you would want afterwards; it has to be freshly made!

Instead of a food processor; just put all the ingredients into a large bowl; but finely chop the red pepper and the basil; really thinly etc. Just be sure to really mix up the ingredients. I have had it this way and it is just as good (if not better as it turns into a kinda pulpy sauce; like a chutney i guess) and so can go well with a burger but won't go so well with chips as a food processor version would for example.

Or it might - depends on your tastes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Uhm no... not in the UK at least. I wouldn't buy the bottled stuff as it goes watery and splits if kept for more than 3 days. I have tried near equivalents and to be honest, after trying the recipe i gave, there is nothing you would want afterwards; it has to be freshly made!

Instead of a food processor; just put all the ingredients into a large bowl; but finely chop the red pepper and the basil; really thinly etc. Just be sure to really mix up the ingredients. I have had it this way and it is just as good (if not better as it turns into a kinda pulpy sauce; like a chutney i guess) and so can go well with a burger but won't go so well with chips as a food processor version would for example.

Or it might - depends on your tastes
    Thanks for the awesome reply. Will check it out. May even reply in the thread with terrible pictures of my poor attempt.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the awesome reply. Will check it out. May even reply in the thread with terrible pictures of my poor attempt.
    No problemo buddy - happy to share this delectable sauce! Please do put pics up! Honestly it is so nice! It looks wierd but tastes so good!

ReputationRep:
    It always, has to be Heinz.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with calling it mayo?
    Everything :huff: I just have an irrational hatred of the "word"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ketchup. It's the only thing I can happily eat in large amounts with nearly everything

ReputationRep:
    You can't beat pesto - best sauce ever!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.