Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any real reason to be a vegetarian? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyYYYY)
    I wouldn't call it a ncessity.
    If that deer in front of you is the only reasonable source of a sufficiently large amount of protein it is. We need protein, and while there are other sources meat has stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But we also kill through necessity, again, like a large number of other life forms.
    Necessity is a relative term. I understand the biological imperative to stay alive but it does not mean that you "need" to stay alive but then again perhaps we should define "need". Hitler killed out of necessity as did other emperors, kings and lords. If understood at a biological level, one could say that rapists rape out of "necessity", that molesters molest out of "necessity", etc. But the trillion dollar question is: does the goal justify the "necessity"?

ReputationRep:
    If that deer in front of you is the only reasonable source of a sufficiently large amount of protein it is. We need protein, and while there are other sources meat has stuck.
    Do you "need" to be alive? Also, define "need". Btw, insects are a more accessible and cheaper source of protein.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Do you "need" to be alive? Also, define "need". Btw, insects are a more accessible and cheaper source of protein.
    Good luck collecting sufficient insects

ReputationRep:
    You'd be correct if the time period was some millenia ago where alternative sources of protein were scarce. I'd agree with you if other sources of protein weren't so easily accessible.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from but as an environmental veggie I can't help but focus on the the future of our pale blue dot. We've evolved brains that give us astounding reasoning abilities. Meat may be stuck but we still have the ability to reason. As we have a choice; one of which is more beneificial to the planet than the other then as humans I'd like to think we should take that option.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck collecting sufficient insects
    Is that supposed to be a joke? Collecting insects is far more efficient than collecting animals. The future is not meat-eater friendly. But that is not a future that we will live in. We most likely reject it in the same way our ancestors rejected the social norms that we uphold today (discrimination on the basis of gender, ethnicity, social class, etc).

ReputationRep:
    I would say rabbits or pigeons would more accessible. And you would get a larger quantity of protein.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Is that supposed to be a joke? Collecting insects is far more efficient than collecting animals. The future is not meat-eater friendly. But that is not a future that we will live in. We most likely reject it in the same way our ancestors rejected the social norms that we uphold today (discrimination on the basis of gender, ethnicity, social class, etc).
    (Original post by DannyYYYY)
    You'd be correct if the time period was some millenia ago where alternative sources of protein were scarce. I'd agree with you if other sources of protein weren't so easily accessible.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from but as an environmental veggie I can't help but focus on the the future of our pale blue dot. We've evolved brains that give us astounding reasoning abilities. Meat may be stuck but we still have the ability to reason. As we have a choice; one of which is more beneificial to the planet than the other then as humans I'd like to think we should take that option.
    Given we have already proven that we can artificially grow the meat we eat I don't see the issue with meat surviving time, it will just change things up slightly in that, initially at least (and I'm talking well in the future where the lab option is cheap, accessible and a major source) the artificial meat will be cheaper and the "real" meat for the wealthy, of course, as it develops we may see animals being raised for food may stop being a widespread thing if/when we reach a point where the artificially grown meat can be as good as, or better than, natural meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I would say rabbits or pigeons would more accessible. And you would get a larger quantity of protein.
    More accessible than insects? Insects consume far less than rabbits/pidgeons and you could easily escalate the population size.

ReputationRep:
    Given we have already proven that we can artificially grow the meat we eat I don't see the issue with meat surviving time, it will just change things up slightly in that, initially at least (and I'm talking well in the future where the lab option is cheap, accessible and a major source) the artificial meat will be cheaper and the "real" meat for the wealthy, of course, as it develops we may see animals being raised for food may stop being a widespread thing if/when we reach a point where the artificially grown meat can be as good as, or better than, natural meat.
    While we can grow meat, it is going to take a while to get people eat it. And besides, this only makes "real" meat more desirable. The ethical argument is that using/killing others for your own pleasure is unacceptable. There is no logical way around it. So coming back to the thread subject, there is no ethical reason not to be a vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    More accessible than insects? Insects consume far less than rabbits/pidgeons and you could easily escalate the population size.
    There are plenty of rabbits and pigeons around the place and they are a pest to arable land, which is the vegetarian option. Both wild rabbits and pigeons are easy enough to catch with very little expertise. We already have millions of them why not use them?

Insects are needed for pollination and already have a dwindling population due to some poor farming practices. We should not be using insects as food ever, they are too valuable to our entire way of life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    While we can grow meat, it is going to take a while to get people eat it. And besides, this only makes "real" meat more desirable. The ethical argument is that using/killing others for your own pleasure is unacceptable. There is no logical way around it. So coming back to the thread subject, there is no ethical reason not to be a vegetarian.
    Clearly, you didn't watch the Mitchell and Webb sketch.

It only makes meat more desirable to those who can afford it, to most it would be prohibitively expensive. In effect, it just adds an extra tier or set of tiers to the current system where better meats are more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    It never fails to raise a smile reading the various new and inventive justifications people make for eating meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonion)
    It never fails to raise a smile reading the various new and inventive justifications people make for eating meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What more of a reason do I need than I like it.

ReputationRep:
    What more of a reason do I need than I like it.
    You've restated my point; if it were really that simple, why the elaborate justifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonion)
    You've restated my point; if it were really that simple, why the elaborate justifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the first time in this thread that I have justified why I eat meat.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited an abattoir recently?

They are incredibly humane and stress free. Don't take your opinions of the subject from Youtube and anti meat protesters. Actually look in to it. It someone was going to kill me I would be quite happy to be killed in the manner our livestock are.
    This is a matter of opinion - they are by no means stress free in any way - they know they are going to die... I don't think it is particularly humane either.

You'll never convince me otherwise really but I respect your opinion.

Take care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    This is a matter of opinion - they are by no means stress free in any way - they know they are going to die... I don't think it is particularly humane either.

You'll never convince me otherwise really but I respect your opinion.

Take care
    Fair enough, we all have a right to our own opinions and I respect your choice. It is a choice I could never make myself.

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time in this thread that I have justified why I eat meat.
    Strong fallacy of composition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No ****ing reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.