Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why I, as a Muslim, am launching a campaign to ban the burka in Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    I don't see how him being a Muslim is really relevant. Forcing people to wear or not wear something is just wrong.

Before people label me as PC or whatever... frankly if it were up to me people would be allowed to walk around naked or wear Chewbacca masks in public for all I care.
    This is my view on this as well. I mean how can we call ourselves a democracy, if we don't allow people to wear what they want? (Or not want)

(ie: the wider meaning of the word democracy, and what it incorporates)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimrodstower)
    If you were a lawyer , would you refuse to defend a person who was charged with covering up their face?
    Are you actually joking haha how is that relevant? I'm not a lawyer, I don't intend to be one, and to be frank yes I wouldn't feel comfortable being alone in a room with someone whose identity I could not verify. That goes for someone with a burka, someone who wouldn't take off a balaclava, anything.

FYI I would never defend anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Are you actually joking haha how is that relevant? I'm not a lawyer, I don't intend to be one, and to be frank yes I wouldn't feel comfortable being alone in a room with someone whose identity I could not verify. That goes for someone with a burka, someone who wouldn't take off a balaclava, anything.

FYI I would never defend anyway.
    Oh so you don't believe in defence, are you the type to judge them, before they have been found guilty? Is that why you think Muslim women who wear the veil could have criminal intent?

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you don't believe in defence, are you the type to judge them, before they have been found guilty? Is that why you think Muslim women who wear the veil could have criminal intent?
    I hope you don't do anything that involves arguing. You are just making wild assumptions out of nothing. I never said I don't believe in defence, I said I wouldn't do it. Can you read? I said I also don't want balaclavas allowed in public. Anything involving covering of faces. But Muslim women with a burkha could equally have as much criminal intent as anyone else could, wearing it or being Muslim doesn't mean they won't commit a crime.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't do anything that involves arguing. You are just making wild assumptions out of nothing. I never said I don't believe in defence, I said I wouldn't do it. Can you read? I said I also don't want balaclavas allowed in public. Anything involving covering of faces. But Muslim women with a burkha could equally have as much criminal intent as anyone else could, wearing it or being Muslim doesn't mean they won't commit a crime.
    Yes I can read, I can also debate, (Is arguing the legal word for debate, by the way?) So basically, you don't trust anyone, as everyone is capable of criminal intent. This mentality is what is expected of a broken society, where mistrust is prevalent. Not in my Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben_Dover)
    No you're incredibly rude for not respecting a person's right to freedom.

You have no place in our society
    Should people then be free to walk around naked? Because that's not allowed.

The veil is rude, anachronistic and a danger in banks for instance. You wouldn't be allowed to walk around wearing a balaclava, this is no different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Walk outside your front door and around your local town, naked, for several hours and test that theory.
    No thanks. Don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArabianPhoenix)
    Haha yeah sorry that was a bit over-the-top from me, but regardless, my version of Islam? He has he facts wrong, to say something isn't part of Islam when it's clearly is, it's just ridiculous.

If I want someone representing Islam then I'd want someone who actually adheres to the religious etiquette, e.g beard.
    Lololololol im.sorry but whaaaaa ur sayig a religious person would have beard? Therein where the problem lies u judge a muslim by his/her looks rather than deeds. I know SO many `muslims` part of isoc look the part preach to ppl and yet behind closed door practise in premarital sex, drugs every sin u could think of.

Personally i think forcing someone not to wear something is as bad as forcing someone to wear the burqa but ur arguments are ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

The veil is rude, anachronistic and a danger in banks for instance. You wouldn't be allowed to walk around wearing a balaclava, this is no different.
    If it was such a danger to banks then they would ban people from entering with them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can read, I can also debate, (Is arguing the legal word for debate, by the way?) So basically, you don't trust anyone, as everyone is capable of criminal intent. This mentality is what is expected of a broken society, where mistrust is prevalent. Not in my Britain.
    Debating doesn't involve making unfounded assumptions from nothing, I'm afraid. Every single post you have written involves at least one such assumption. Britain is not 'yours'.

ReputationRep:
    Debating doesn't involve making unfounded assumptions from nothing, I'm afraid. Every single post you have written involves at least one such assumption. Britain is not 'yours'.
    If you notice I mainly ask questions, questions do not have to be assumptive.
    When you asked if I could read, and as you said you were studying Law, it gave me the impression that you would have a good idea of comprehension. When I said "Not in my Britain", this does not mean I own it, it means the way I want Britain to be, from my perspective, as opposed to yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    I don't see how him being a Muslim is really relevant. Forcing people to wear or not wear something is just wrong.

Before people label me as PC or whatever... frankly if it were up to me people would be allowed to walk around naked or wear Chewbacca masks in public for all I care.
    I think you're in a minority of extreme libertarians there. I'm liberal, but, walking around naked? Come on. We're not animals. Colloquially speaking, anyway.

Although, I don't think the naked rambler should have been arrested. He wasn't harming anyone. Thing is, I wonder what people's opinions would be if a large number of people started doing that.

ReputationRep:
    If you notice I mainly ask questions, questions do not have to be assumptive.
    When you asked if I could read, and as you said you were studying Law, it gave me the impression that you would have a good idea of comprehension. When I said "Not in my Britain", this does not mean I own it, it means the way I want Britain to be, from my perspective, as opposed to yours.
    They are leading questions as I expect you know full well. I am aware that you do not own Britain - thankfully - and I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. I have clearly stated that I do not believe facial covering to be in line with an adequate level of public safety or security, including not only the burkha, but also with balaclavas and any other stupid 'fashion' statements that would cover someone's face. You have made ridiculous comparisons that no reasonable person would make in an attempt to strength your view. I don't agree with you and your poor arguments hold no weight whatsoever, so I think I will leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    The sort of statement which suggests that you know you have lost the argument.
    What is there to talk about?

As you have stated Public Nudity is legal.

The CPS have made it quite clear:

"In the absence of any sexual context and in relation to nudity where the person has no intention to cause alarm or distress it will normally be appropriate to take no action unless members of the public were actually caused harassment, alarm or distress (as opposed to considering the likelihood of this)"

ReputationRep:
    They are leading questions as I expect you know full well. I am aware that you do not own Britain - thankfully - and I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. I have clearly stated that I do not believe facial covering to be in line with an adequate level of public safety or security, including not only the burkha, but also with balaclavas and any other stupid 'fashion' statements that would cover someone's face. You have made ridiculous comparisons that no reasonable person would make in an attempt to strength your view. I don't agree with you and your poor arguments hold no weight whatsoever, so I think I will leave it there.
    Very subjective. I will make one assumption here, that you are, or that you hope to, join the Police.

ReputationRep:
    Very subjective. I will make one assumption here, that you are, or that you hope to, join the Police.
    No, I am working in human resources in the NHS and I intend to join their graduate scheme if possible or work my way up in this field. Alternatively I might consider medical training contracts but only as a second option. Why the police?

ReputationRep:
    No, I am working in human resources in the NHS and I intend to join their graduate scheme if possible or work my way up in this field. Alternatively I might consider medical training contracts but only as a second option. Why the police?
    Only because you have such concern for security and law, I know the Police employ graduates, not always as officers, so I thought that maybe you would be interested in that area.

ReputationRep:
    What an embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

Too many morons keep making these analogies when in fact the concepts are entirely different. I'm not gona bother explaining to you. The fact that you see the two as the same speaks volume

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateusernames)
    Lololololol im.sorry but whaaaaa ur sayig a religious person would have beard? Therein where the problem lies u judge a muslim by his/her looks rather than deeds. I know SO many `muslims` part of isoc look the part preach to ppl and yet behind closed door practise in premarital sex, drugs every sin u could think of.

Personally i think forcing someone not to wear something is as bad as forcing someone to wear the burqa but ur arguments are ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No no i'm saying that i'd want someone who can represent islam to look like he practises the sunnah :P

Yeah I get what you're saying, the world is, sadly, full of hypocrites that say one thing and act upon another.

Haha I don't think my argument was ridiculous, I just think my opinion/view wasn't exactly understood the way I intended it to be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.