Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to read the entire thread because it appears to be mainly one person saying "bloody Muslims" and another then saying "everybody has rights y'know".

My position is that the employee should've notified the employer of the problems. The employer should've then taken steps to ensure that a conflict between duties and the beliefs/comfort of the employee did not take place. The employee should've then taken the steps suggested. This should not have resulted in a refusal to serve produce.

The original onus would be on the employee. An employer cannot go around guessing who is likely to have this sort of issue. And not all Muslims fast.

ReputationRep:
    The person has every right not to handle pork or alcohol.

He can just do it in another job.

ReputationRep:
    Shocking they should not have the job if that is the case their contract is to carry out the duties of their job- in this instance the checkout person to scan peoples food- the person at fault must integrate into societal norms, and if he refuses, should be fired for gross misconduct

ReputationRep:
    What a load of crap

ReputationRep:
    To anyone saying that Tesco or the customer were in the wrong,
    Could I get away with not selling Halal meat?
    Can non-smokers refuse to sell cigarettes?
    Can vegetarians refuse to sell any kind of meat?

Of course not. Stop defending him because he's a Muslim.
    He was wrong and deserves to be sacked if he wont do his job.

6.6% (Mar 2014, Eurostat) of the United Kingdom are unemployed. I'm sure someone else who won't be a little ***** about selling meat and wine will take his job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSuicide)
    It's a bit different when you believe there's consequences for serving the items. If he feels strongly, then yeah, perhaps he should find a different job. I agree with that, but i personally wouldnt bother complaining, i'll just respect his beliefs and move on.

I don't know if serving ham and wine breaks a fast but it definitely is a sin since you're helping a person consume such items

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And that sin is only recognised during the month of Ramadan? I'd postulate that he's come across and served such items before.

To be fair, she had every right to complain. When you're spending time shopping and then waiting in the queue, the last thing you want to hear whilst being served is "I won't put these items through, you will have to go to the self checkout". It is frustrating.

Fair enough the checkout worker has his beliefs, but they shouldn't impede or impact upon anyone else. That's when it becomes self-entitled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Why?

Not sure what your point is?
    The point is that there's a very slightly brief history throughout Great Britain's existence in which we abused, segregated and killed ethnic minorities outright and dealt similar hands to the homosexual community, with added castration all the way up until very recently. All according to our harbouring of Homophobic and Racist attitudes. Or "Beliefs", as you'd attribute it. To compare those attitudes, with one of not wishing to directly handle meat is quite simply ludicrous at best, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people even commenting on this no issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece Sure)
    The point is that there's a very slightly brief history throughout Great Britain's existence in which we abused, segregated and killed ethnic minorities outright and dealt similar hands to the homosexual community, with added castration all the way up until very recently. All according to our harbouring of Homophobic and Racist attitudes. Or "Beliefs", as you'd attribute it. To compare those attitudes, with one of not wishing to directly handle meat is quite simply ludicrous at best, my friend.
    So why are you then? Because thats certainly not what i was doing, buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSuicide)
    Maybe it has happened before and nobody complained. Perhaps this guy converted to islam after he got the job and was getting by until he finds a job that poses no problems with his religion. We don't know enough to comment.]
    He's got to be unequivocally retarded to not foresee a problem handling wine and pork and a shop which sells wine and pork. He's doing it for attention and is causing trouble for other people selfishly.

(Original post by TheBBQ)
      What a load of crap
      You're crap

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by orange crush)
      My #1 hatred in this world is lowlife idiots that phone "customer service" teams to complain about employees. This guy probably has a wife and kids and you're actively trying to get him punished. Shocking.

She's a disgrace of a human being and I hope that Tesco support the guy.
      That's a bit of a ridiculous viewpoint. People have to have the right to complain about customer service, otherwise how would companies or organisations ever improve what they do? Also, sometimes the complaints are justified.

In this case, I think the focus should be on the store manager, who backed up the member of staff in such an absurd way and on Tesco themselves, if the manager has somehow been informed that it is company policy to allow staff to do this.
      • Section Leader
      • Political Ambassador
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      My sympathy to her for having queued and then having to go to a self-service checkout, but then she says “I was furious.” Is she for real? She needs to chill out.

ReputationRep:
      I don't understand why some people are defending the guy it's part of his job description which is detailed at the start of his employment. If he cannot serve customers who buy ham and wine during Ramadan then he's not suitable for the job and therefore breaking his contract. If we remove religion from this and assume he refused to handle the customers shopping for his own personal reasons we can clearly see it wouldn't be acceptable and he would probably be sacked. Religious beliefs should be considered but when they interfere with providing good customer service and performing the roles outlined in the job description then the employee isn't suitable for the position and shouldn't be working there.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by orange crush)
      I'm assuming you also have a problem with underage members of staff then? After all if you put alcohol through their till then they need to call a supervisor for authorisation
      Selling alcohol in that way is illegal. Last time I checked, serving people whose religion is different to your own is allowed by law.

ReputationRep:
      This is such a non issue.

ReputationRep:
      why did he choose to work there if he knew he was gonna handle this stuff? I would work somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gjaykay)
      To anyone saying that Tesco or the customer were in the wrong,
      Could I get away with not selling Halal meat?
      Can non-smokers refuse to sell cigarettes?
      Can vegetarians refuse to sell any kind of meat?

Of course not. Stop defending him because he's a Muslim.
      He was wrong and deserves to be sacked if he wont do his job.

6.6% (Mar 2014, Eurostat) of the United Kingdom are unemployed. I'm sure someone else who won't be a little ***** about selling meat and wine will take his job.
      I am a Muslim but I kinda agree with you tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      That doesn't make any sense! I mean, ham and wine are forbidden for muslims all the time so why can he specifically not sell them during ramadan?

ReputationRep:
      For God's sake, it's not like they customer was forcing the employee to eat the ham and wine. They should have just got on with the job.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.