Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Squats 3x5 67.5kg... I know I know. I'm still not getting deep enough though so I'm refusing to go higher.

OHP 3x5 22.5kg hallelujah!

Deadlift 1x5 70kg

That chalk is a god send. Sure my hand is ripped to shreds but so worth it! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Squat 3x5 67.5kg (I'm not sure the best course of action here, I feel stuck at this weight. I manage a good depth for the first 2 reps but by the last I am so shallow. Maybe it's a mental block, I don't know)

Bench 3x5 30kg (better with chalk but some pain in my wrists)

Row 3x5 32.5kg (are elbows supposed to point outwards? I noticed mine do. I'm sure when I've seen other people do this lift their elbows point backwards)

Hip thrusts 5x5 20kg (using bench)

Dips and pull ups (assisted) 3x5 of each

No significant improvement but I haven't been to the gym for a week, my life is starting to get a bit hectic as I'm starting a new job soon and have to find a new house etc. I'm going to try and go as much as I can. I also have the daunting task of finding a new gym (so sad, I love my current gym) that has a squat rack that isn't always busy. Booo.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going as much as I should be, so I'm just kind of coasting along not making much progress. I'm hoping after this week things will settle down a bit and I'll have time to go every other day. I'm thinking of perhaps starting a new program too, I feel I've reached as far as I can go on SL5x5 particularly with squats, OHP and deadlifts.

Squat 3x3 67.5kg (I've been deliberating over my form, there's just something not right. Might try and film next time).

OHP 3x5 22.5kg (tried 25kg and couldn't even get one rep without a hop. Managed to hurt my neck too. Silly)

Deadlift 1x5 70kg (I wanted to get to 72...but I noticed my upper back is rounding as I bring the weight up. I don't get any pain but it's probably not a good thing!)

So yeah, pretty stagnant. I might just start afresh next week when I know I can dedicate a bit more time to it.

ReputationRep:
    Upper back rounding is perfectly fine, it's safe and a legitimate deadlift technique, it's lower back rounding that you want to avoid. I wouldn't worry about your upper back and increase the weight

I pull with a rounded upper back, never had even a hint of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    If you're wondering about form, it's definitely worth posting a vid. Other people see stuff so much more easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggsil)
    If you're wondering about form, it's definitely worth posting a vid. Other people see stuff so much more easily.
    Yeah ill try to take one. Just worried I'll get told off for filming in the gym!

ReputationRep:
    Decided to squeeze in another session today as I won't be able to go again till next week. I filmed a set of squats but the angle is crappy and you can only really see the front half of my legs then a front view in the mirror, but if any nice people would like to look at it anyway I'll figure out how to put it on YouTube and PM the link...

Squats 3x5 65kg (purposes of filming!)
    3x5 67.5kg

Bench 3x5 30kg (pain in wrists stopping me going higher atm)

Row 3x5 35kg

ReputationRep:
    Staying with le boyfriend so had to frequent my old gym which is terrible. Felt so strange having an actual routine in there because when I used to go I just used to randomly use whatever pieces of equipment took my fancy.

Squats 3x5 70kg (on a 3D Smith, they didn't have a rack)

OHP 5x5 20kg (no 1.25kg plates, no rack to take the bar from)

Deadlift 1x5 60kg (again, no rack to load the bar, also didn't have my chalk)

I know it's not great but it felt better than nothing and I'd rather do a crappy session than no session!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Okay so I've decided to start this blog due to recently having a 6 week hiatus from training due to working abroad. I'm not looking to loose weight, If anything I'd rather gain. Overall I want to regain strength and start a decent routine, particularly for my upper body. I also think it'll be useful for me to track my progress and might motivate me more.

These are my current stats

Height: 169cm /5ft6.5
    Weight :57kg /9 stone

My 3rd proper gym session since I've been back these are what I managed (so depressing). All are 5x5 unless I say otherwise.

Squat: 45kg
    SL deadlift: 40kg
    Bench : 20kg (3 sets of 5)
    Row : 20kg (3 sets of 5)
    DB curl: 6kg

These are my previous PBs.. Not exact because I didn't use to keep track particularly

Squat : 60kg
    Deadlift: 50-55kg
    Bench : 25kg
    Row: unchanged
    DB curl : 8-10kg

My upper body strength hasn't changed much as I'd never properly trained it anyway. My squats are the biggest loss and I'd be most keen to get those back.

I'll try and keep updating this as I go along so I can see the difference.

Well done! You seem really committed and focused on an end goal which is really positive and uplifting. I wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Man that was depressing. It's crazy how weak I get after a few days off, coupled with eating rubbish for the past week.... Buuut it was my birthday so I have an excuse

Squat 3x5 65kg (whut. Couldn't even finish the last rep. Tried with plates under my heels but felt strange. My foot position is still bizarre... One foot turns out almost 90 degrees)

Bench 3x5 27.5kg

Row 3x5 30kg... Then managed about 3 reps of 35kg

Leg press 3x8 80kg... Thought I may as well.

Assisted pull ups/dips 3x3 (second to lowest weight, woo!)

I'm going to sort out my diet and make sure I go every other day. I want to get back to my peak. Tired of messing around with the same weight every time.

ReputationRep:
    Squats 3x5 65kg, so much better. Managed without my stance being ridiculously wide. Still a struggle but felt a lot more solid than last time.

OHP 3x5 20kg (using dumbells, no bar available)

Deadlift 2x5 70kg (I know, but I feel I hardly do these so added another set. Didn't feel too bad but I definitely have less skin on my legs and hands now!)

Lunges 5x5 40kg
    Assisted pull ups and dips 3x5
    Bicep curl 3x5 9kg

ReputationRep:
    Squat 3x5 67.5kg (reaching a decent depth for most reps now, did sort of get stuck on the last rep and thought I'd have to bail.. But luckily managed to get up and spare myself the humiliation!)

Row 3x5 32.5kg

Bench 3x5 35kg (in a 3D Smith, bunch of bros hanging out on the bench press)

Pretty happy. I can notice a difference after increasing my protein intake. Probably psychological but I just feel a bit stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Squats 3x5 67.5kg
    3x3 70kg
    1 rep 72.5kg (PR)

OHP 3x5 22.5kg

Deadlift 1x5 70kg
    1 rep 75kg (PR)

I know the single reps were pretty pointless but I just wanted to feel like a badass powerlifter today

.... Or, you know... Weedy little wannabe powerlifter..

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with singles at all. Powerlifter status achieved.

Congrats on the PBs. I reckon you've got a lot more in you too, 2plate deadlift shouldn't be too far off, especially if you structured your session around/towards it.

ReputationRep:
    Squat

60 x 5
    67.5 x 5
    70 3x3
    72.5 2x2
    75 x 1 (PB)

Row

35 3x5 (don't even care, couldn't get a bar so stuck using fixed bars. Might try Pendlay rows next time. Not sure)

Bench

20 x 5
    30 x 5
    32.5 x 5
    35 x 2
    37.5 fail

My first proper fail. Tried to look casual about it. Haha. Embarrassing.

Pretty pleased. Might deload a little bit to work on form next time.

ReputationRep:
    Joining in thread.

Looking strong.

Got any recent videos of the 1RM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Joining in thread.

Looking strong.

Got any recent videos of the 1RM?
    Not yet, will try and get one next time!

ReputationRep:
    Today was technically a rest day but I decided to go to the gym to do some mobility/accessory stuff because I was bored.

So basically I thought seeing as it would be pretty low intensity I'd dress like a girl for once (I generally wear baggy mens t shirts etc).. Anyway, the combination of looking female and doing female-ish exercises left me feeling very self conscious. I can kind of understand why the weight section is so intimating to girls! Top tip: dress as unfeminine as possible! Haha.

Anyway, anecdote over.

I've discovered the reason for my inability to get depth in squats. All this time I've assumed it was a flexibility problem. When in actual fact it's due to my disproportionately long femurs. When I sit back in a squat I am a very long way away from my knees meaning I either have to lean, take a wide stance or topple over. I've decided I'm going to invest in a pair of lifting shoes, as standing with my heels on a slightly raised surface makes it so much easier to break parallel.

I'll film my set next time.

ReputationRep:
    Squats

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    72.5 3x3
    75 3x1

Did film by 1RM, which is why I ended up doing it 3 times. I managed to end up out of the frame in every take! There's one I took where you kind sort of see my in a mirror, and I can tell I'm just shy of parallel. Thing is, the bars of the squat rack don't let me go any lower. Might have to change over to the power rack (would have today but there was actually a guy curling an empty bar in there - as if that happens IRL).

Also tried low bar for the first time. It's strange. It hurts like **** but I can squat more. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Deadlifts

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    75 x 2
    80 x 1 (pb)

100kg I'm coming for you.

OHP 20 3x5...what did I expect doing it after deads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Squats

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    72.5 3x3
    75 3x1

Did film by 1RM, which is why I ended up doing it 3 times. I managed to end up out of the frame in every take! There's one I took where you kind sort of see my in a mirror, and I can tell I'm just shy of parallel. Thing is, the bars of the squat rack don't let me go any lower. Might have to change over to the power rack (would have today but there was actually a guy curling an empty bar in there - as if that happens IRL).

Also tried low bar for the first time. It's strange. It hurts like **** but I can squat more. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Deadlifts

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    75 x 2
    80 x 1 (pb)

100kg I'm coming for you.

OHP 20 3x5...what did I expect doing it after deads.
    Post the videos anyway. They'll be useful even if we have to look in mirrors etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.