Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ye I'm pretty easy to find online because my surname is Scandinavian.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who gets the awkward experience in school when the substitute has no idea how to pronounce your name and take they take a random stab at it XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatherdougal)
    Am I the only one who gets the awkward experience in school when the substitute has no idea how to pronounce your name and take they take a random stab at it XD
    Haha. Back in the days I'd just loudly shout "present" as soon as she starts trying to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elohssa)
    Haha. Back in the days I'd just loudly shout "present" as soon as she starts trying to read it.
    XD some days the whole class would just shout out the correct pronunciation at the teacher it happened that often

ReputationRep:
    My name is quite common but i'm one of 3 people on facebook(other two being my mother and my cousin) who have my surname so....

ReputationRep:
    My first name used to be one of a kind, and then a crap ton of people from Nigeria actually changed their names to mine a few years after I was born. I shoulda copyrighted that freaking....

Anywhoo, I'm probably the only person in the UK with this name, I hate the idea of people being able to find me easily, so I use aliases everywhere, one of which has stuck around for years. (Even on the rare occasion that I tell people my name online, they don't believe me, so hey.)

ReputationRep:
    My name is the same as Stevie Wonder's bass guitarist so a simple Google search and you're not finding me. If you did you'd have waded through 11.8M search results at which point I'd say fair play. Narrowing that down to the UK I think there are about 7 people with my name so I am sort of identifiable through Google with a bit of background. I still don't believe I could be found on TSR through Google given the amount of people with my name and the amount of other results that come up. If someone finds me on Twitter then I don't even care, my employer can see how commercially aware my Twitter followings are making me and when I go fully in on the job hunt I'd probably hit private anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeMills77)
    Hi people,

I picked my username 'Lee Mills' because many people have that name. I can't use my real name because I have an usual first name and my surname is rare and French in origin. What I don't like is I am very easy to find online because nobody else shares my name combination.

Do you have a unique name and how do you feel about sharing your real name online? Do you use pseudonym instead?
    I'm the only person with my first name and surname. It's great for SEO, but it means I always have to be really careful with anything I post publicly. Generally, on forums that aren't directly related to work, I use my school nickname "Ash".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatherdougal)
    I still get that at university, with my regular lecturers! When I was young though, some teachers would actually "correct" me and tell me that I was saying my name wrong.

"What's that young man? Oh, no, I think you'll find it's Neil" or "Nathan."

That used to really **** me off.

ReputationRep:
    Online (other than Facebook) I always act under a username. My surname is probably Germanic in origin and I quite like it, but it can be a pain on the phone where a lot of the time I barely bother saying my surname and instead start to spell it out. Though, if we all have crosses to bear then this is a particularly light one.

ReputationRep:
    my name is probably unique considering nobody has my middle names and the initials spell out MARZ

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.