Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll: What's the PROPER way to brew a cup of tea? Watch

• View Poll Results: Correct way to make tea in a mug?
    Tea bag in first then add water, remove teabag then add milk.
    57.29%
    Tea bag in first then add water, add milk then remove teabag.
    28.13%
    Water in first then add Teabag, remove teabag then add milk.
    5.56%
    Water in first then add Teabag, add milk then remove teabag.
    2.78%
    Milk first then adding water/teabag.
    6.25%

ReputationRep:
    i cant believe people put the milk in BEFORE the tea bag and water, that makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason

ReputationRep:
    Teabag ==> Sugar ===> Milk ===> Water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadySmythe)
    I do :-p

Most teas brew best at approx 80 deg centigrade so brewing without milk is best. There's some sort of reaction that milk stops IIRC but can't find the link now. Leaving to steep rather than stirring is also better.

I do however put milk in before the hot water and leave to steep for 2 minutes if I make other people cups of tea (or steep in a teapot first). I don't drink tea with milk, I find it ruins the taste personally

Oh and different teas step best at different temperatures and at different times. Black tea takes longest and requires higher temperatures than green or white teas
    very nice analysis! Clearly a fellow scientist.

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    All their GCSE Science books.

Their A-Level Maths books have a page on Cows. :lol:
    That's in all of their books nowadays? It wasn't when i was in GCSE...

I rmemeber they had random jokes etc and chunks in but not a whole page on tea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    Go on, I dare ya.

Well... That was dissappointing. Not sure what i was expecting but an overly creamy very weak flavoured tea is not what i wanted...

Maybe it need even hotter milk(it was pretty damn hot) or much longer brew time but then the milk would cool so i dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    We've all watched in horrer as we watch someone make us a cup of tea the wrong way before and then listened to their lame excuses afterwards.

We're here now to get the definitive student opinion on the correct way to produce a cup of tea to put this to bed once and for all.

Often the debate comes in the do you add milk before or after removing the teabag?

Then you get the people who insist on adding the teabag after the water to the mug.

I've also heard there are maniacs that want the milk in first to stop it denaturing as it gets added to the hot tea.
    What I do is:

1. Start boiling water
    2. Put sugar into mug
    3. Put teabag into mug
    4. Pour water into mug
    5. Squeeze and remove teabag
    6. Add milk
    7. Stir and serve

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's in all of their books nowadays? It wasn't when i was in GCSE...

I rmemeber they had random jokes etc and chunks in but not a whole page on tea...
    Not all, just those two. The rest just have those random small jokes and little pictures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)
    What I do is:

1. Start boiling water
    2. Put sugar into mug
    3. Put teabag into mug
    4. Pour water into mug
    5. Squeeze and remove teabag
    6. Add milk
    7. Stir and serve
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty darn good. I still disagree with the sugar but the rest was in the perfect order imo.

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    Not all, just those two. The rest just have those random small jokes and little pictures.
    Is there anywhere i can find all the jokes/snippets from the books? Or do i have to go hunting them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Damn right. Gotta think outside the box
    Cool, just dont ever come to my house and make tea for me.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty darn good. I still disagree with the sugar but the rest was in the perfect order imo.

Is there anywhere i can find all the jokes/snippets from the books? Or do i have to go hunting them?
    Well there's this Twitter https://twitter.com/CGPjokes

But I usually just type in Google Images CGP Jokes and you can find a ton of pictures.

Yeah I type in CGP Jokes in Google, I get bored.

ReputationRep:
    Put tea bags in pot. Add boiling water. While that is brewing add milk to cup, then pour tea over the milk. No stirring or superfluous cutlery required.

ReputationRep:
    Black Loose tea in tea pot
    90C filtered water in with black tea
    Leave for 6 minutes
    Pour into tea cups with strainer
    Drink.

Tea elitist

ReputationRep:
    My method if it's not done my way I always know and do not drink it!

Boiling water Into a mug which has a spoon of brown sugar & a tea bag. Pour the water and leave the bag in for a few seconds then using spoon squeeze against the side. Then a splash of milk and stir.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I make mine in the microwave and its the best way to make it, I've tried making it in a saucepan and in a kettle and its not better,
    Firstly add half a cup of water, sugar and teabag and put it in the microwave for 1 and a half minute,
    Take out, stir, add half a cup of milk, put it back in and microwave till it starts to boil and when it looks its about to topple over, stop (usually another minute or so) and mix and its like drinking happiness in a cup

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Add teabag
    Add water
    Stir
    Remove teabag
    Add recently deceased elk
    Remove elk
    Pour tea away
    Make coffee
    Give it to the elk
    Drink lots of vodka

Standard Saturday night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually drink tea and I haven't had it in years, but what I do is:

- Teabag in
    - Water in
    - Teabag out
    - Milk in
    - Sugar in
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Clearly, nobody on this forum knows how to make a cup of tea.
    First, get your finest porcelain teapot and cup while you bring the kettle to the boil, making sure to use fresh water.
    Add one tea spoon of tea leaves to the teapot for each cup of tea you intend to brew.
    Once the kettle comes to the boil, pour the necessary amount of water into the teapot, and also some into the cups to bring them to the appropriate temperature.
    After letting the tea brew for the appropriate amount of time, which can be as few as two, but as many as seven minutes, pour the tea into the cup. If you are too uncivilised to know how long to brew the tea for, most teas require between three and four minutes.
    Never add sugar, and only add milk for some teas.
    After consuming the all the tea, swill out the teapot and place it back into the appropriate storage location.

Alternatively, if you are to truly do it properly, you will instruct your butler to bring you some tea.

P.s. What are these "teabags" you people keep talking about? They sound ghastly.

ReputationRep:
    For all the people hating on the milk-then-remove-teabag method, it's the best way to assess whether your tea is fully brewed.
    It's the post-milk colour that allows you to tell if you have to wait another minute or it's okay to drink. Without that measure, who could tell it wasn't a pale, flavourless disaster?
    Milk first 2k14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    For all the people hating on the milk-then-remove-teabag method, it's the best way to assess whether your tea is fully brewed.
    It's the post-milk colour that allows you to tell if you have to wait another minute or it's okay to drink. Without that measure, who could tell it wasn't a pale, flavourless disaster?
    Milk first 2k14.

You can tell by the darkness of the colour before you remove the bag or just from timings or we're just pros at making tea...

ReputationRep:
    If I'm making for myself it's usually:

Teabag in.
    Water in.
    Drink.

ReputationRep:
    You can tell by the darkness of the colour before you remove the bag or just from timings or we're just pros at making tea...
    Way too easy to accidentally over/underbrew imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.