Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Digital Spy Forums - another bash! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Wowee, how on earth did that even happen?

In that case, how easy would it be for me to get my original Spotify95 account back on the forum?

Thanks
    This may surprise you but no chance. You and Pinkteddy kinda put a nail in that when you both decided to keep making up new accounts with the sole purpose of causing mild provocation by bumping many year old threads.

The ship has sailed old boy. It'll be best to get over it.

Though if you're both a fan of big disappointments and long waits then by all means keep messaging the moderators.

Hope that helps.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan O'Akber)
    This may surprise you but no chance. You and Pinkteddy kinda put a nail in that when you both decided to keep making up new accounts with the sole purpose of causing mild provocation by bumping many year old threads.

The ship has sailed old boy. It'll be best to get over it.

Though if you're both a fan of big disappointments and long waits then by all means keep messaging the moderators.

Hope that helps.
    Hi there,

Thanks for the advice there. I must say though, I wasn't aiming to bump old threads; it was Pinkteddy who was bumping the old threads. He did this long before I got banned on my first account.

All I wanted to do, with my dupe accounts, was to continue posting in CTAM and in Music forums. Not to cause havoc on the board.

Even when I just kept to CTAM they still wouldn't let me post on any account, as they kept banning me - how unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    DS use Vbulletin, the same software as TSR. Assuming their admin tools are the same as ours, discerning a dupe from just two people on the same IP is very easy. Not mention you mentioned trying dozens of times to get back onto the site in your previous threads, odds are it was the successive attempts that led to the perm if they hadn't just decided to on the first go.
    It is also VERY easy on the likes of phpBB as well, which my personal forum uses, and has had problems with dupes posting meaningless trash.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkteddyx64)
    It is also VERY easy on the likes of phpBB as well, which my personal forum uses, and has had problems with dupes posting meaningless trash.
    But on your forum, I have found the dupes very easily and booted them out of there.

On another forum I have used, the owners twigged that I have 2 active accounts (it is phbpp based) but have surprisingly, let both of them stay active - so long as I am not a nuisance.

DS are a total different story though. Not activating any of my accounts, plus the mods posting messages that are bordering bullying/rude. Some of the posts certainly break paragraph 2.18 of their terms and conditions. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed a new member replied to a thread from 2004 last night, and the reply was very thoughtful and valid, but just before noon today, the thread got returned to it's pre-bumped state and the said member made inactive? Why? Because although some people made proper contributions to the thread after the bump, the usual inner circle guys derailed the thread with discussion about me! :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, I guess they should add to the forum rules: "New members may not reply to old threads, or else they can expect an instant ban"! :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed a new member replied to a thread from 2004 last night, and the reply was very thoughtful and valid, but just before noon today, the thread got returned to it's pre-bumped state and the said member made inactive? Why? Because although some people made proper contributions to the thread after the bump, the usual inner circle guys derailed the thread with discussion about me! :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, I guess they should add to the forum rules: "New members may not reply to old threads, or else they can expect an instant ban"! :rolleyes:
    So what you are saying, is that, because the new member bumped a thread from 2004 (rather than making a new thread or sticking to newer threads), the other FM's the accused the newbie of being yourself, and the fascists went on that decision only?!

How very fascist! Surely they should be using other methods to check, eg IP's, posting history etc?!

Have you a link to the member, or the thread?

ReputationRep:
    This is why you just permaban people and don't delete all of their posts.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    This is why you just permaban people and don't delete all of their posts.
    Or, even better, make sure you've got reasons to permaban someone, rather than just going on the other members say so!

And don't delete anyone's posts unless they actually break a rule.

This is why TSR is so much better than the fascists at DS.

ReputationRep:
    So what you are saying, is that, because the new member bumped a thread from 2004 (rather than making a new thread or sticking to newer threads), the other FM's the accused the newbie of being yourself, and the fascists went on that decision only?!

How very fascist! Surely they should be using other methods to check, eg IP's, posting history etc?!

Have you a link to the member, or the thread?
    Yup.

The user was GooseHoney, which now has no posts to it, and if you search for "chavs" in General Discussion, then click the first result you see, (naturally now without any of the newer replies)! :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Seen the thread, and yes they've deleted the post. :mad:

Apparently he is also an "inactive member".
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=spotify95;49185209On another forum I have used, the owners twigged that I have 2 active accounts (it is phbpp based) but have surprisingly, let both of them stay active - so long as I am not a nuisance. [/quote]

It's the same on TSR and most forums I'm aware of, you can have multiple accounts of you want to provided they aren't misused. If they are used for rule breaking then they'll be banned and the "primary" account warned for misuse of the dupe system.

DS are a total different story though. Not activating any of my accounts, plus the mods posting messages that are bordering bullying/rude. Some of the posts certainly break paragraph 2.18 of their terms and conditions. :yep:
    You're banned, and whether it's justified or not to you, in their eyes every further account you make is being used to circumvent that ban. Agin, it is standard policy for most forums to ban such accounts.

A couple of potential reasons;
    A) Forums as a whole dislike having ancient content like this dragged back up to the front page. It may not reflect well on the forum if a the first thread a visitor clicks on is over a decade old- it can give the impression of an inactive forum and put people off exploring further.
    B) Bumping old threads with new replies make it less likely for that reply to be replied to, as users will see it's an ancient thread and immediately click away.

In both the above cases on TSR, if it appears that the user is genuine then the thread will be reverted to before it was bumped and either move the post to its own new thread or invite the user to create one. They definitely wouldn't receive anything more than a reminder unless they did it repeatedly in a spammy way. In terms of bans, I expect that's either DS being overzealous again or, as can be the case quite often, it can just be very detailed spam- either copypasta from the internet as a way to boost post count (and then get to post URLs unmoderated), or to distract from the advertising usually done via affiliate links.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's the same on TSR and most forums I'm aware of, you can have multiple accounts of you want to provided they aren't misused. If they are used for rule breaking then they'll be banned and the "primary" account warned for misuse of the dupe system.

You're banned, and whether it's justified or not to you, in their eyes every further account you make is being used to circumvent that ban. Agin, it is standard policy for most forums to ban such accounts.

A) Forums as a whole dislike having ancient content like this dragged back up to the front page. It may not reflect well on the forum if a the first thread a visitor clicks on is over a decade old- it can give the impression of an inactive forum and put people off exploring further.
    B) Bumping old threads with new replies make it less likely for that reply to be replied to, as users will see it's an ancient thread and immediately click away.

In both the above cases on TSR, if it appears that the user is genuine then the thread will be reverted to before it was bumped and either move the post to its own new thread or invite the user to create one. They definitely wouldn't receive anything more than a reminder unless they did it repeatedly in a spammy way. In terms of bans, I expect that's either DS being overzealous again or, as can be the case quite often, it can just be very detailed spam- either copypasta from the internet as a way to boost post count (and then get to post URLs unmoderated), or to distract from the advertising usually done via affiliate links.
    I've even seen it in the past where a similar thing has happened, then after the moderators have done their cleanup, the inner circle fellas will start another thread, discussing me in exactly the same way as they did in the bumped thread, and in one such thread, even one of the mods joined in the discussion! Think what you will about it, but people starting a thread about me, putting comments like "I bet he has never had sex before" or "I bet he is <some other bad thing?" is bang out order. What's it to them what I have or haven't done in my life before? Contrary to their opinions about me, I have a well paid job and a family, and a few hobbies I enjoy.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Thanks for the information. I was PM'd (on another forum) about a user getting a warning for mis-use of duplicate accounts.

I now have 2 accounts on TSR, this one and another one. I'm going to be making sure that I stick to the rules on both accounts, as I don't like being banned from anywhere.

I don't usually break forum guidelines anyway (apart from signing up with dupes on DS )

You're banned, and whether it's justified or not to you, in their eyes every further account you make is being used to circumvent that ban. Again, it is standard policy for most forums to ban such accounts.
    I've decided that I'm not going to pursue the matter with DS anymore, as they really aren't worth it, IMO. Having said that, some of the posts the mods have made on their account are pretty disruptive. A prime example being what I quoted in on the CTAM saga.

It seems like one rule for users, and a totally different rule for the mods (on DS). It shouldn't be like that.

I think it's DS again being ridiculous. I've personally seen it happen before, when a new member bumps a thread, and the moderators go on the say so of the other members - that being, the new member being a PBU (when they weren't).

In this case, I agree with you there in that the moderators should have split the thread into two parts, an old part and a new part. But they shouldn't be banning members out of nowhere, or deleting their posts. Unless they are actually a PBU, which in this case, the user wasn't.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've even seen it in the past where a similar thing has happened, then after the moderators have done their cleanup, the inner circle fellas will start another thread, discussing me in exactly the same way as they did in the bumped thread, and in one such thread, even one of the mods joined in the discussion! Think what you will about it, but people starting a thread about me, putting comments like "I bet he has never had sex before" or "I bet he is <some other bad thing?" is bang out order. What's it to them what I have or haven't done in my life before? Contrary to their opinions about me, I have a well paid job and a family, and a few hobbies I enjoy.
    If you are correct in what the mods were doing, that is bang out of order. Those type of threads shouldn't be allowed on the forum.

I think we need to get on our plan prompto.

ReputationRep:
    If you are correct in what the mods were doing, that is bang out of order. Those type of threads shouldn't be allowed on the forum.

I think we need to get on our plan prompto.
    What plan would that be?

It just seems a little pathetic to keep signing up to and occasionally spamming a forum that obviously doesn't want you two there and a forum you both seem to one minute despise and the next minute idolise.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan O'Akber)
    What plan would that be?

It just seems a little pathetic to keep signing up to and occasionally spamming a forum that obviously doesn't want you two there and a forum you both seem to one minute despise and the next minute idolise.
    Pink teddy knows what I am talking about - that's who I was talking to wrt the plan.

I'm not bothering with the forum any more as I am much better off here. Certainly wrt signing for more accounts, that is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.