Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just done the tests and the competency questionnaire. I found the latter pretty damn weird - found myself second-guessing what they wanted. Certainly the strangest assessment I've ever undergone...

ReputationRep:
    Application form done, now waiting on the assessment... Does anyone recall from previous years' thread how long it could take them to do the sift? Do they wait for a number of candidates to apply first or does it happen on a rolling basis?

ReputationRep:
    The gap between definite pass and definite fail will probably be quite wide at this stage. All you can really do is have a scan through the old thread yourself to get a vague idea (but timetables have changed from year to year).

ReputationRep:
    How quick you get results also depends on the scheme you applied for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilys)
    Application form done, now waiting on the assessment... Does anyone recall from previous years' thread how long it could take them to do the sift? Do they wait for a number of candidates to apply first or does it happen on a rolling basis?
    I still haven't got round to completing the application form, think I'm going to try and get it done today. Last year, it was really quick and I heard the afternoon of the following day! So hopefully you'll hear some good news soon Then you'll have the Economic assessment centre to look forward to!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - I know this has been mentioned before, but about what percentage are you looking to be in on the practice tests to be in with a good chance of passing?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'll be putting in an application for the Analytical Fast Stream (for OR)

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone knows - the website is confusing me a bit - can you apply for both Generalist and the new Government Communications streams? And where would the European stream fit into it? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luccy.)
    Sorry - I know this has been mentioned before, but about what percentage are you looking to be in on the practice tests to be in with a good chance of passing?
    I got 'top 15% of scores' on both practice test and passed the real ones, if that helps. Could be useful to go through previous year's thread, too, if you have some spare time

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    the civil service website seems to have changed in the space of like a week and so I can't find all the information I originally saw can someone please clarify which one out of Generalist and European has to be put first if you want to be considered for it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm looking to apply but I'm very nervous about the verbal reasoning and especially the numerical testing. I've seen things that say two practice rounds and then the real tests so how does this actually work and at what stages are the tests and which do count because I'm slightly confused about it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tegan006)
    Hi all,

I'm looking to apply but I'm very nervous about the verbal reasoning and especially the numerical testing. I've seen things that say two practice rounds and then the real tests so how does this actually work and at what stages are the tests and which do count because I'm slightly confused about it all
    You first select the fast stream scheme(s) you want to apply for and then depending on your stream there is a self-assessed reasoning tests (but apparently these are only for the Generalist fast stream and the Northern Ireland fast stream), then there are practice online tests and then the real tests. Only the real tests count towards your application although you get some feedback for the practice online tests (eg. you are in the top 15%, middle 30% or lower 65%).

You have seven days to complete the first lot of tests after you have selected your schemes, then another seven days after you complete the first lot of tests to complete the second/final depending on scheme.

For example, I've applied to the analytical stream so I just had to do the practice and real test. If I completed the selection of my schemes today, I would have until 16/9/14 to complete the practice tests. If I decided to complete the practice tests tomorrow I would have until 17/9/14 to complete the real online tests but if I waited until the last minute to complete the practice tests I could wait until 24/9/14 to do the real tests. Hope I've explained that okay.

There are some practice tests to do on Cubiks' website and they are the company that provide the online tests for the fast stream. There are also some here: https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fas...m-how-to-apply under open-access tests. It might be a good idea to look at SHLdirect to practice as well although they are a little different to Cubiks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyJane)
    You first select the fast stream scheme(s) you want to apply for and then depending on your stream there is a self-assessed reasoning tests (but apparently these are only for the Generalist fast stream and the Northern Ireland fast stream), then there are practice online tests and then the real tests. Only the real tests count towards your application although you get some feedback for the practice online tests (eg. you are in the top 15%, middle 30% or lower 65%).

You have seven days to complete the first lot of tests after you have selected your schemes, then another seven days after you complete the first lot of tests to complete the second/final depending on scheme.

For example, I've applied to the analytical stream so I just had to do the practice and real test. If I completed the selection of my schemes today, I would have until 16/9/14 to complete the practice tests. If I decided to complete the practice tests tomorrow I would have until 17/9/14 to complete the real online tests but if I waited until the last minute to complete the practice tests I could wait until 24/9/14 to do the real tests. Hope I've explained that okay.

There are some practice tests to do on Cubiks' website and they are the company that provide the online tests for the fast stream. There are also some here: https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fas...m-how-to-apply under open-access tests. It might be a good idea to look at SHLdirect to practice as well although they are a little different to Cubiks.

Yes thanks Lucy that is great and has helped lots.

I was looking at the generalist fast stream; are the verbal and numeracy tests the same as the others and you just have to do them twice? Or as it's self-reasoning does that one not count towards the real thing either?

Thanks for all of the help

ReputationRep:
    Yes thanks Lucy that is great and has helped lots.

I was looking at the generalist fast stream; are the verbal and numeracy tests the same as the others and you just have to do them twice? Or as it's self-reasoning does that one not count towards the real thing either?

Thanks for all of the help
    I'm sure I've read that the self-assessed verbal and numerical tests are exactly the same as the online tests. And its only the online tests (not the self-assessed or practice) that counts, the other two are just so you get some idea of how the real thing will go and as they give you some feedback you can judge whether you need more practice or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyJane)
    I'm sure I've read that the self-assessed verbal and numerical tests are exactly the same as the online tests. And its only the online tests (not the self-assessed or practice) that counts, the other two are just so you get some idea of how the real thing will go and as they give you some feedback you can judge whether you need more practice or not
    This is absolutely correct. The self-assessed practice step is simply another practice round.

(Original post by SparksInTheSky)
    Wondering if anyone knows - the website is confusing me a bit - can you apply for both Generalist and the new Government Communications streams? And where would the European stream fit into it? Thanks
    Hi there, to the best of my knowledge looking at the site, the only ones you can combine are Generalist, European and DAT. The Government Communications Stream is not listed in that group, so it appears to me you cannot combine it. However, I do recommend you check with Parity (the ones who run the application process - there is a 'Contact Us' tab once you are logged in) before committing in case I am wrong!

If you prefer, The Civil Service Fast Stream has a Facebook page - you could message them there instead if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Application submitted for the analytical fast stream (economist)... So it begins, eek!

ReputationRep:
    Please someone tell me that I'm not the only person who gets annoyed with the practice tests when they show you the right answer but not how they get to it!

ReputationRep:
    Please someone tell me that I'm not the only person who gets annoyed with the practice tests when they show you the right answer but not how they get to it!
    Employers are supposed to teach you to pass their assessment criteria are they?

This is the first of a 3-5 stage application process, its just a filter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Employers are supposed to teach you to pass their assessment criteria are they?

This is the first of a 3-5 stage application process, its just a filter...
    I wasn't saying that they should. I was just highlighting it's annoying when you have the correct answer for something but can't seem to work out how to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking I might be jinxed already as there is some bug on the registration pages meaning it constantly takes me back and forth between the In-service application y/n page and the password select..

Looking forward to joining in anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.