Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guns are 'moronic', would you agree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Biathalon rifes must be a bit different to use, are they really light?

It was a shame handguns were banned from regular citizens in the UK, I know someone who had dozens of really nice ones (I've only seen pictures), a load of Walthers IIRC, all different platings, worth a hell of a lot of money. Of course he had to go hand them in down the police station to be destroyed
    Ridiculously light. But also uncomfortable. They make compromises for the 'backpack'-like straps and for it being as light as possible that do make them a little awkward to use. And I was never a fan of the standing stance with a .22 anyway. But the way you can use them is brilliant. Middle finger on the trigger, index on the bolt lever and thumb on the back of the bolt, one swift move and you've fired, reloaded and readied in about a third of a second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Guns are not moronic or ridiculous. They're inanimate objects.
    This. Some people that use them are moronic just like some people who use knives and drive are moronic.

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    I'd feel very nervous if I knew people could carry guns around.

(Original post by karmacrunch)
    Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why? I legally own a Glock 19 (not in the UK) and would never think of doing such terrible things with it. I also own air rifles and once I settle in the UK will join a shooting club and purchase my own guns. The weapons will be kept in a bolted down cabinet out of the way of children as required by law and in a location only I'm aware of. The problem is with stupid and evil people and not the guns.

(Original post by vickidc18)
    I watched a stacey dooley documentary last week about guns in Detroit, it was awful a young girl being shot just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Little kids all knew someone who had been shot and were too scared to go play basketball in case they were shot. I'm thankful every single day that I can go outside my house and not be scared of people having guns.
    People get stabbed and run over for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

(Original post by Sanctimonious)

Why? I legally own a Glock 19 (not in the UK) and would never think of doing such terrible things with it. I also own air rifles and once I settle in the UK will join a shooting club and purchase my own guns. The weapons will be kept in a bolted down cabinet out of the way of children as required by law and in a location only I'm aware of. The problem is with stupid and evil people and not the guns.
      Not everyone will use them responsibly. :no:

ReputationRep:
      Surely a liberal would be more likely to be in favour of gun rights?

My personal opinion is that anybody who is qualified to own a gun should be allowed to own one, and by "qualified", I mean sane, calm, and fully trained in its operation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
      I know I would, I'm STRONGLY against them for many reasons - the main one being citizens simply do not need them, they should be in the hands of servicemen/women ...

Would you really want to leave your house knowing almost everyone you meet owns or is carrying a gun? Your neighbour could easily lose his temper, just like Oscar Pistorius did, and shoot you ...

Guns are ridiculous, call me a liberal all you want because I don't care.
      if we lived in a world where guns did not exist that would be cool.

but we don't. they do exist.

the army have them. criminals have them.

in my area growing up there were quite a few guys who had guns.

the police would also regularly stop and search people yet somehow the guys with the guns never got caught.

instead i'd just be searched a lot.

so i was afraid of even having a gun incase the police would catch me with it.

i would much prefer to be in america where i could have a gun legally.

you say citizens don't need guns.
      why not?

what is the point in the government having guns?

protection and security.

as long as you have humans willing to be violent towards other humans then there will be humans using weapons to defend themselves.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maid Marian)
      I'd feel very nervous if I knew people could carry guns around.
      I don't understand comments like this. People can carry guns if they have a license. There are limits in place for public places but lots of people go out shooting with them. And the contribution legal gun owners make to gun crime is pretty much nothing in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...s-certificates

England and Wales (2009/10):
      141,775 firearms certificates
      580,653 shotgun certificates

Many people will have both shotgun and firearms certificates, but together this accounts for over 722,000 gun licenses, in England and Wales. In England and Wales, this has actually risen and is probably a bit higher now in 2014.

Then you have Scotland, with roughly 50,000 licenses there. Then you have low power airguns, which don't need licenses due to their low power and are therefore not included in these figures.

A lot of people seem to think that in the UK hardly anyone has guns, but this is inaccurate. Lots of people have them and go shooting.

ReputationRep:
      Yes I agree, if guns were common I would feel very unsafe

ReputationRep:
      Guns are like guys..they're good at shooting loads

Really powerful weapons :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yo radical one)
      That's even more pathetic than claiming to be "Alpha" :rolleyes:
      I know..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      guns are terrible, but if we banned them there would just be black markets for guns emerging everywhere....which would be harder to control and license

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bertstare)
      Of course, no one, even those who live in areas full of crime and burglaries, should have the right to defend themselves! How dare someone desire to protect themselves and their families to the best of their ability! They should just bend over and take it up the ass willingly from anyone wishing to harm them!
      Yes, because when someone shoots you, you can dodge it like neo anderson the matrix style and then fire back at him and hit him accurately 100% no collateral damage.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GnomeMage)
      Yes, because when someone shoots you, you can dodge it like neo anderson the matrix style and then fire back at him and hit him accurately 100% no collateral damage.
      So if you're at home and you are unlucky enough to have someone break in, you would rather be unarmed than have a weapon? If your wife was at home alone you'd gamble with her chances against multiple male attackers rather than giving her a legit means to protect herself?

ReputationRep:
      So if you're at home and you are unlucky enough to have someone break in, you would rather be unarmed than have a weapon? If your wife was at home alone you'd gamble with her chances against multiple male attackers rather than giving her a legit means to protect herself?
      gamble on chances that she can dodge bullets? I know my chances mate.

ReputationRep:
      gamble on chances that she can dodge bullets? I know my chances mate.
      So you'd rather she have no guns to defend herself against people who may or may not have guns, rather than have a gun to defend herself?

ReputationRep:
      So you'd rather she have no guns to defend herself against people who may or may not have guns, rather than have a gun to defend herself?
      I rather the people who break in has a lesser chance of having a gun, than having to gamble that he misses me when he shoots.

ReputationRep:
      I rather the people who break in has a lesser chance of having a gun, than having to gamble that he misses me when he shoots.
      Why would letting citizens have guns automatically mean criminals have guns? Doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in Europe where gun ownership is quite high? Did you just invent a scenario?

ReputationRep:
      Guns aren't 'moronic', it's the people that desire the use of them that are.

ReputationRep:
      Why would letting citizens have guns automatically mean criminals have guns? Doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in Europe where gun ownership is quite high? Did you just invent a scenario?
      Why would not letting citizens have guns automatically means criminals are going to have it one way or another?

ReputationRep:
      Why would not letting citizens have guns automatically means criminals are going to have it one way or another?
      So then criminals will carry and be prepared to use knives, whereas citizens remain unarmed?

You seem to really get off on the idea of making people defenseless, it's very strange I must say

ReputationRep:
      I misread the title as "guys". Made the passage about them "not being needed by citizens" quite amusing

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.