Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it anti semetic to think that jews have too much power? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    If somebody has too much power, that would be the case regardless of whether or not they are Jewish.
    oh brother, there's no getting through to you, is there...so basically you're saying there is absolutely no circumstance whereby individual jewish people, in unison, have relatively too much power...

ReputationRep:
    arabs are more 'semetic' than European invading jews that call themselves israeli

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    oh brother, there's no getting through to you, is there...so basically you're saying there is absolutely no circumstance whereby individual jewish people, in unison, have relatively too much power...
    That's not what I'm saying at all. It's perfectly possible for a Jew to have too much power as it is possible with a non-Jew - but the power is not made better or worse by their status as a Jew or non-Jew. The canard that Jews control the world is just an ancient anti-Semitic lie perpetuated by the fascist far right of the Catholic church, and Islamists.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I'm saying at all. It's perfectly possible for a Jew to have too much power as it is possible with a non-Jew - but the power is not made better or worse by their status as a Jew or non-Jew. The canard that Jews control the world is just an ancient anti-Semitic lie perpetrated by the fascist far right of the Catholic church, and Islamists.
    once again, I never said that jews have too much power, I just think you're being silly in saying that we can't categorise groups of people in society when it is very straight forward to do so - it's not an insult to group people by their religion when we're talking about their acts aggregated as a group in line with who they are

ReputationRep:
    once again, I never said that jews have too much power, I just think you're being silly in saying that we can't categorise groups of people in society when it is very straight forward to do so - it's not an insult to group people by their religion when we're talking about their acts aggregated as a group in line with who they are
    It is fine to talk about how religious ideas affect people's behaviour, and then attack those ideas and the people who subscribe to them most strongly, but when people talk about Jews having too much power, what possible connection is there with Jewish theology? Jewish atheists are included anyway. I think you are being disingenuous.

For example, it would be fine to say that you believe a certain passage in the Torah, say, encourages a megalomaniacal attitude or greed. I wouldn't be convinced by it, much as I despise a lot of what is written in the Torah, but it wouldn't be anti-Semitic. It would be anti-Semitic to accuse the Jews as a group of being megalomanical or greedy.

ReputationRep:
    It is fine to talk about how religious ideas affect people's behaviour, and then attack those ideas and the people who subscribe to them most strongly, but when people talk about Jews having too much power, what possible connection is there with Jewish theology? Jewish atheists are included anyway. I think you are being disingenuous.
    it's not a claim that jews are acting together consciously, it's a claim that individual jews have power. it's like as if you'd be saying that claiming that "rich white men had too much power" in the 1700/1800s and you'd be telling me "uh-uh-uh! they're individuals, not men!"

ReputationRep:
    it's not a claim that jews are acting together consciously, it's a claim that individual jews have power. it's like as if you'd be saying that claiming that "rich white men had too much power" in the 1700/1800s and you'd be telling me "uh-uh-uh! they're individuals, not men!"
    If I had been around then, I would not have raised my objections in terms of race, since (a) I would not be targeting all white people and (b) white people did not have a monopoly on atrocities or bad ideas (though they did have a virtual monopoly on wealth).

I would have raised my objections in terms of illegitimate power, tyranny, slavery, colonialism and lack of democracy.

(Disclaimer: I probably wouldn't, because I wouldn't have been educated enough. But if I were to go into a time machine, I would.)

ReputationRep:
    Not really Jews having power around the world like some sort of conspiracy but due to emigration during the war the US has a sizable Jewish population who happen, more or less by chance, to be a concentrated ethnic group which has historically done above average for itself rather than below average like black or Muslim people. That would actually be an expected statistical effect of being a small community, that you would be further away in whichever direction than larger groups from the average.

"Jewish" power in the Middle East is fairly accidental, it is much better thought of as Israeli power, Israel is a secular state to boot. They were always going to have a state set up for them post-war and since the US happened to be both the most powerful country and have a sizable Jewish political constituency confidence and supply was instituted, not to mention permission to develop nukes. That's all just politics and it could have happened to anyone, had the Jewish state been somewhere with no natural resources at stake the US would have ignored them and found some other way to project its power in the OPEC countries' back yard. And other than the US and Israel there are no significant concentrations of Jewish people in the world that I know of. (We did sort of ruin Europe for them to be fair.)

During the Egyptian, Roman, Nazi and many other periods we would rightly have said that the Jews were an oppressed minority. Nothing about their religion or culture predestines them to be successful, except maybe the fact that they focus a lot on their Jewish descent and thus I think they do look out for each other. Other than that it's just the ebbing and flowing tides of power that have always been at work in this world. In the 600s white British people would have felt like Vikings were the guys who had it all, in the 100s the Roman administrator class, and in the 1100s the Norman aristocracy.

You might as well say that because Asian students in the West do the best in education Asians have power around the world and there is a big Asian conspiracy where they all give each other good grades and solid professional jobs. Not so, there is simply a strong element within Asian culture of maximising one's economic potential for the sake of one's spouse and family's future security, and this couples with the natural self-selection of immigrants as risk-takers who have had to learn to put the work in to survive in a new culture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.