Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Trust me the universities have it wrong psychology is far from easy probably one of the largest content rich subjects. There were many people in my class who looked like they were about to fail.

For me the easiest was religious studies but again that's only my opinion. Research each subject online before choosing.

ReputationRep:
    For something like medicine many universities like to see either maths or physics, they're not easy subjects, but they will make you more desirable.

ReputationRep:
    The one you find most interesting although apparently business studies is on another level of easy.

ReputationRep:
    RS was my hardest A-level with my others being business studies (piss easy), geography and maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleenaa)
    Hi guys. I am doing Bio and Chem next year. My original plan was to do RS and Psychology with it, however researching what you need for medicine which are 3 A's at A Level I have decided to do 3. Now I don't know which A Level to do as a 3rd option..

RS - if I'm quite honest I was very unconfident at GCSE but I always got good grades - B/ or above
    Psychology - I've never done before but I found it really interesting at the tasters. However - some universities like Cambridge and Oxford class this as a soft subject and don't accept it when doing medicine.

I'm now considering doing History - it is something that I enjoyed doing at GCSE but I don't know if I will be able to to get an A in..

I just want to do an 'easy' A Level.. Something that with no doubt I will definitely I can get an A in..

Please let me know

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied for medicine this year, so hopefully you'll find my advice helpful. I would definitely do 4 AS subjects. Even though the websites say they only need three. Medicine is such a competitive course, that you need much more that the minimal requirements to get in. I did biology, chemistry, maths and art as well as extended project. I got As at AS in all and kept all of them for A2 as well. I was predicted 5 A* in them and yet it wasn't enough for some unis- I got straight rejection from Bristol eg.

I would definitely choose Maths as your third A level, as it is quite easy; and then another A level that you would enjoy, not necessarily related to medicine (some unis like UCL prefer applicants to have a contrasting subject). It always looks better if you apply with 4 AS subjects and then drop one in year 13.

A levels are not everything though. You need volunteering and work experience and it's the best to get asap. Try applying to local hospitals, ask your GP or your relatives if they know someone who could help you.

Also, check on websites whether you need BMAT or UKCAT. I only did BMAT, which was a silly mistake- I started preparing too late and I panicked during the actual test, which cost me a place at Cambridge (ended up in winter pool). Start preparing for those well in advance, as some unis have cut off scores.

I won't lie to you, there are two stressful and tough years ahead, but if you truly want to do medicine, you will manage.

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Health and social care

ReputationRep:
    Surely you'll get the best grades with the subject you enjoy most? So do whichever one that is?

However from what I've heard and read, don't med schools tend to like 3 science subjects? So if I were you, I'd probably consider maths/physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifyouseelaura)
    However from what I've heard and read, don't med schools tend to like 3 science subjects?
    No. Of the 30 something med schools, only Cambridge states any preference for this. Common myth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifyouseelaura)
    Surely you'll get the best grades with the subject you enjoy most? So do whichever one that is?

However from what I've heard and read, don't med schools tend to like 3 science subjects? So if I were you, I'd probably consider maths/physics.
    The majority of med schools like you to do biology up to A2 (but it isn't compulsory) and they don't mind what the third subject is as long as you have valid reasons for choosing it (not for example it's an 'easy A' obviously).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In honesty, I don't think there is such a thing as an easy alevel! However, you should definitely do 4 AS if you're thinking about applying for medicine. As for your fourth option, maths would possibly be a good choice if it's a subject you are strong at. For my a levels I did psychology, history and RS and they're all really difficult and challenging subjects. They're all essay based, so if you're strong at essay writing they would be good choices for you. However if you want to get into medicine and you were sometimes achieving grade Bs in RS at GCSE level, that might not be the best choice for you. You need to pick subjects that you're guaranteed 4 As in so when it comes to applying to uni next year, your application looks impressive. Now is also the time to get loads of work experience as that's what medicine applications really need. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    I did Psychology, Sociology , History and English Lit. I think Sociology was the easiest.
    Really? I did the CIE board, and I found Sociology the most difficult! English Lit was OK and History was a breeze, as they tend to repeat the questions from year to year.

ReputationRep:
    i also want to do medicine at uni , and at a-level i am going to do biology chemistry maths and either english lit or lit and lang combined or economics

ReputationRep:
    somehow i got the highest business studies grade in europe and i have no clue how.... definitely must be up there in the easiest

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I am doing Bio and Chem next year. My original plan was to do RS and Psychology with it, however researching what you need for medicine which are 3 A's at A Level I have decided to do 3. Now I don't know which A Level to do as a 3rd option..

RS - if I'm quite honest I was very unconfident at GCSE but I always got good grades - B/ or above
    Psychology - I've never done before but I found it really interesting at the tasters. However - some universities like Cambridge and Oxford class this as a soft subject and don't accept it when doing medicine.

I'm now considering doing History - it is something that I enjoyed doing at GCSE but I don't know if I will be able to to get an A in..

I just want to do an 'easy' A Level.. Something that with no doubt I will definitely I can get an A in..

Please let me know

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a silly question.

What subjects are "easy" depends on your personal strengths. Asking on a forum is pointless, since the answers people give you will be based on their strengths and weaknesses, not yours.

ReputationRep:
    PHYSICS! Physics is the most relatable. And one of the physics tests in AQA is medical physics! which is a bonus over maths!

ReputationRep:
    I'm good at maths but I'm not good remembering how to do things.. And what do you mean I have no chance with 3?
    Honestly, you will be competing with people who have achieved 4 A's at A level in traditional subjects like Maths, and the Sciences. Even potentially a few A*s. You stand no chance with three A levels, because medicine is VERY VERY competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benl63)
    PHYSICS! Physics is the most relatable. And one of the physics tests in AQA is medical physics! which is a bonus over maths!
    I'm with Edexcel and we only touch on medical physics, it all depends on the exam board. As far as I know and from experience Edexcel goes into more application of Physics than ANY other exam board. So if your exam board is Edexcel and you want to do medicine, I wouldn't recommend it.

As a fourth A level however, it will be seen as quite a strong subject to have.

ReputationRep:
    Applied ICT!!!!!

Back in my school Biology and AICT were parallel, i.e. Bio and AICT periods run together at the same time and I wanted to sit for both a-levs so I basically ditched every single ICT period for bio.

A week or so before the practical exams started (AS and A2) I started reading and performing the tasks in the book on Microsoft office (Access and Excel only) on my pc at home (didn't care much about word processing and I was very glad no HTML was in the syllabus).

Exactly 4 days before the theory exams were due I went over the theory topics and found them extremely similar to what I already learnt in IGCSE, read each chapter, summarized it into keypoints, ended up with an A in Applied ICT A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I studied A Level Maths in a single year and got B overall. studying it all in a month is bull**** dont listen to that guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straw-man666)
    Maths is a joke. You can do C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1 easily in under a month. ****ing joke

I strongly recommend doing a 4th AS. You stand no chance with 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck if u think thats possible you prick

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.