Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xloisx)
    People actually do this? :bricks:
    Yeah... I'm doing English & History so I'm going to start reading now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    Yeah... I'm doing English & History so I'm going to start reading now
    Okay, I guess I can understand why people would pre-read for subjects like English and History. I'm doing Marketing Management though so I don't think there's really much I could do before uni starts.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I guess I can understand why people would pre-read for subjects like English and History. I'm doing Marketing Management though so I don't think there's really much I could do before uni starts.
    You could look at how products and services are marketed for the consumers in terms of needs and target audience? There's a programme airing on Monday called Dispatches: Battle of the Supermarkets, it's on Channel 4 at 8 which could help but yeah there isn't a lot of research to do pre-Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    You could look at how products and services are marketed for the consumers in terms of needs and target audience? There's a programme airing on Monday called Dispatches: Battle of the Supermarkets, it's on Channel 4 at 8 which could help but yeah there isn't a lot of research to do pre-Uni
    That type of thing I've already done. I did a BTEC course in business so that was pretty much an entire two years full of researching and I think that around 5 of our units were Marketing based. I suppose I could look into it a little further but my course starts out with the units I've already studied anyway. But yeh, that sounds like an interesting programme, I'll definitely watch that. Thanks for letting me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil08)
    You're a rookie, bless.

Kumar & Clark, Harrison's, Davidson ?
    Haha, did a year of biomed which didn't really lend itself to clinical medicine, starting med school in September :P

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I'm sure you're exaggerating
    Oh no believe me, if I was flat I would be perfectly planking all day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamyers1)
    Haha, did a year of biomed which didn't really lend itself to clinical medicine, starting med school in September :P
    Was biomed your first choice? Yes, medicine is definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil08)
    Was biomed your first choice? Yes, medicine is definitely worth it.
    No, I applied through Extra after I didn't get in the first time and reapplied while I was at uni

ReputationRep:
    I kind of want to start studying things before uni since I don't have much else to do. But I haven't been sent a reading list or anything so I wouldn't know where to start.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I did this. It kind of ruined semester 1'S modules for me, I wish I hadn't. Would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't read a book on each module before starting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathiye)
    I kind of want to start studying things before uni since I don't have much else to do. But I haven't been sent a reading list or anything so I wouldn't know where to start.
    I didn't have a reading list I just googled and ordered interesting books on topics I knew I was covering. Your degree will benefit from outside reading anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeceitfulDove)
    I didn't have a reading list I just googled and ordered interesting books on topics I knew I was covering. Your degree will benefit from outside reading anyway
    Yeah, I've already started doing that a bit! I've found that my local library lets you download New Scientist for free so I've been doing that. And I somehow saw that one of the modules I want to take wants you to read The Selfish Gene beforehand, so I may do that too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if all unis have this publicly available or not, but my uni has a website that tells you all of the required modules for each degree and then also gives you quite a detailed intro to what will be covered in that course and who the course co-ordinator is. If you can access that, you can always email them and let them know you're going to be taking their class and want to do some reading on the subject beforehand. Or if you don't want to do that, go onto blackwells and see if they have a reading list for the last academic year for your modules and then buy those books secondhand. They might change the textbook, but you'll still have done some decent background reading and will have another source for your information.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing economics at uni and the thing is, I didn't have A level math or even add math in O levels. So i'll be faaar behind most people anyway. I've been doing a little bit of o level math to brush up on the subject but I still have a long way to go before I catch up to a level math an uni starts 3rd sept!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you been given reading lists by your Uni departments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    I'm not sure if all unis have this publicly available or not, but my uni has a website that tells you all of the required modules for each degree and then also gives you quite a detailed intro to what will be covered in that course and who the course co-ordinator is. If you can access that, you can always email them and let them know you're going to be taking their class and want to do some reading on the subject beforehand. Or if you don't want to do that, go onto blackwells and see if they have a reading list for the last academic year for your modules and then buy those books secondhand. They might change the textbook, but you'll still have done some decent background reading and will have another source for your information.
    Thank you for that! I have actually managed to find reading lists for some of the modules, but the books are so expensive I don't really want to buy them until I know I definitely need them. I think I'll just stick to reading interesting related books.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd be the only one doing this! I bought books for my course last year and only started reading them now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilcrest1)
    I'll be doing economics at uni and the thing is, I didn't have A level math or even add math in O levels. So i'll be faaar behind most people anyway. I've been doing a little bit of o level math to brush up on the subject but I still have a long way to go before I catch up to a level math an uni starts 3rd sept!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Meh dont worry, even A level mathematicians are going to be extremely rusty with their math skills.

I'm also going to uni for econ, whereabouts are ya going?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the states. New york university

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that! I have actually managed to find reading lists for some of the modules, but the books are so expensive I don't really want to buy them until I know I definitely need them. I think I'll just stick to reading interesting related books.
    You're welcome . If you hunt the web you can usually find free pdfs of the first few chapters of most textbooks (can you tell I do this often? hahaha) but yeah, definitely don't buy them unless you know you definitely need them or will at least use them. One of the books I bought for next semester isn't being used for the course this year, but all of the students who took that module last year absolutely raved about the book, so I bought it and have worked my way through it. I know I'll use it for future reference so I don't feel like it was a waste, but I certainly wasted my money on other books last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.