Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    People make lies to transfer, i tried to blag that with LSE telling them I wasn't interested in Development Geography. Students are always looking for excuses,LMAO. No the scottish uni have different requirements for alevel students and highers. Its marked differently and comes under a totally different qualifcation, they still have low standards, compared to better unis, im talking about aberdeen, havent see the rest.
    I swear you have an answer for everything.

If I tell you the sky is blue, you will come out with some bull****.

Anyway - your point is ****, because many of my peers ended up doing post grads at these 'top unis' you admire so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    But getting a degree in Computer science was very hard, I spent a lot of time coding in to the late hours whilst my friends from other degrees partied all night
    Just a few things...

-What you find difficult might be very east for the vast majority. Did everyone in your course get 2.2 or lower, if not...then the difficulty of your course is no excuse.
    -A uni degree (especially comp. sci.) does help a lot, but with so many graduates these days, a degree alone obviously isn't enough to distinguish yourself. You need work experience, extracurricular activities, etc. So no, your school didn't lie.
    -How many jobs did you apply each year since you're 16? Whatever your answer is, there's always someone out there who applied more than you. There's always someone your age who found jobs during the recession. Again, no excuse.

There are tons of people with the same problems you have, and there are loads who overcame then...so it's not excuse. However, I do feel for you though, it's insane that they're trying to put you in that internet application course...waste of your time and taxpayer's money. I mean, who the hell doesn't know how to use the internet at our age....

Anyways, there's no point being negative on anything other than yourself, just concentrate on improving and being your best self. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    CS and law are two different subjects.

I am not saying Law is easier, but CS is damn hard and that is coming from someone who obtained a 2.1
    It's not that difficult to get a 2.1 in law, speaking as someone who got a mid-2.1 with little work. Getting a 1st is another matter.

I don't know about Comp Sci, but I'd guess a 2.1 would be harder to get than in law. A 1st might be more easily attainable than in law, though. Just speculation.

ReputationRep:
    I swear you have an answer for everything.

If I tell you the sky is blue, you will come out with some bull****.

Anyway - your point is ****, because many of my peers ended up doing post grads at these 'top units' you admire so much.
    Im an opportunist anyway to improve myself without doing the work or spending money for shortcuts i will. There not that great but there good great is like Harvard, Oxford, MIT. But UCL/KCL and Imperial schools is in another league from somewhere like Aberdeen. The point was non of them went to Harvard, Oxford or MIT afterward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    It's not that difficult to get a 2.1 in law, speaking as someone who got a mid-2.1 with little work. Getting a 1st is another matter.

I don't know about Comp Sci, but I'd guess a 2.1 would be harder to get than in law. A 1st might be more easily attainable than in law, though. Just speculation.
    Yeah I can't say either about law, as I am not a law grad.

If it's anything to go by, the people that I lived with that studied arts based subjects, they literally spent a lot more time dossing around then studying. Like the OP, I did not have a life. Engineering students used to complain about the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    it's the same for everyone. I got a 2:1 and have been applying non-stop. I'm 'lucky' that I already have a part time job in a shop which I've been doing since before uni, and I was told that it would look good to employers that I was working whilst studying but it doesn't seem to have impressed much. Even though I have the experience of customer service, cash handling, team work etc, so does everyone else out there.

Every job has dozens of applicants so you have to stand out. I'm probably going to have to pay yet more money to do some further training

ReputationRep:
    Im an opportunist anyway to improve myself without doing the work or spending money for shortcuts i will. There not that great but there good great is like Harvard, Oxford, MIT. But UCL/KCL and Imperial schools is in another league from somewhere like Aberdeen. The point was non of them went to Harvard, Oxford or MIT afterward.
    Bloody hell , the arrogance.

To be honest for CS Edinburgh is one of the top departments in the UK, it is up there with Imperial for research. I have friends that graduated in my year group doing post grads there.

Finally - and this shows how stupid you are.

Have you actually done statistical research of graduate destinations of every single UoA student before making your wild claims? For someone who studied at KCL, I expect better.

ReputationRep:
    I found graduate work a couple of months after getting a 2.2.

I work as a junior geological engineer and I did this by working for 2 months for free at the company I wanted to work at. If you speak to a company that interests you and say you want to do an unpaid placement for a few weeks, then prove your worth to them, you have experience and a reference to look for other jobs with. You may even be lucky, like I was, and get offered a proper job.

Just because you got a 2.2 doesn't mean your a failure... But standard grad job applications are not be best route to getting work as they often get so many applications they can choose to be fussy!

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen was good to be honest. I am really fond of that department.

As I said, we had guys on the course that decided against going to places like York , or transferred from the other top scottish unis.

But if you want prestige, I would say go to one of the top ones. Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick etc.
    Any others in London apart from Imperial? Imperial has such an air of world-classiness that merely sending an application over there sends chills down my spine.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell , the arrogance.

To be honest for CS Edinburgh is one of the top departments in the UK, it is up there with Imperial for research. I have friends that graduated in my year group doing post grads there.

Finally - and this shows how stupid you are.

Have you actually done statistical research of graduate destinations of every single UoA student before making your wild claims? For someone who studied at KCL, I expect better.
    Yeah i looked at Aberdeen as an option for medicine before deciding not to apply at all. I was looking for a shortcut, looked at their international program to see if i could blag that. You need to be thorough when applying to uni's even with pharmacy, i looked all the variables. Even postgrad options for IVY, its called ambition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Any others in London apart from Imperial? Imperial has such an air of world-classiness that merely sending an application over there sends chills down my spine.
    Hes trying to put Aberdeen up there, the only person he has got believe is himself.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect uni for sloane tbh.

If you want to stay in London.

Try and get into UCL, KCL, Queen Mary. Have a look at their syllabuses before deciding which one to go for. If you see a lot more math than programming - it is basically more theoretical.

Imperial and Edinburgh are these type of unis, but where they excel at is post grad/research etc. That is why they are high up the league tables! They typically have 5* research if you look closely.

I knew a guy who was a lecturer at Imperial for physics. That's is exactly what he said. I also knew a CSer who *****ed about student neglect and too much theory at imperial.

Stay away from East London - you know the ex ploys. They are just ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    I'll be studying psych soon. I hope I don't become unemployed after uni too as that must suck but then again, I want to go into teaching afterwards and there is generally a high demand for teachers I think..
    Why not go straight into teaching then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Work on acquiring employable skills. Why should the company hire you? How are you different to all the other graduates coming out of uni with zero experience and skills?

Has everybody with whom I've worked with have 2:1s ? Of course not, many don't even have degrees. But they've been picking up skills in their spare time and just self learning. Heck, some of my seniors only achieved 2:2. It's not an excuse.

When I'm hiring people, I don't care which uni you graduated from, what your grade is, what your family background is or what you eat for breakfast. All I want to know is whether or not you have the skills to do the job and whether or not you'll fit into the team. I know and have seen grads with 1:1s who couldn't code their way out of a paperbag and I've seen BTEC holders pass interviews with flying colours.

As an IT graduate, you should be well aware you can learn most the skills you need from your own home. Be it, Software engineering, network administration, software testing, etc. Time to upgrade yourself

(If you're interested in Software Engineering, I've written some tips to successfully getting an entry level job in the industry in this thread. If that's the case, there should be plenty for you to get cracking on with to improve your employability).
    Thanks for the tips.

ReputationRep:
    Hes trying to put Aberdeen up there, the only person he has got believe is himself.
    You are entitled to your opinion, I was happy with the department and quality of teaching.

I am not forcing anyone to apply, actually I told that poster if he wanted prestige he shouldn't apply there.

ReputationRep:
    Why not go straight into teaching then?
    You need a degree to get on the pgce course

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to your opinion, I was happy with the department and quality of teaching.

I am not forcing anyone to apply, actually I told that guy if he wanted prestige he shouldn't apply there.
    Its funny your trying to put Aberdeen next to Imperial/UCL/KCL. I hope you do Aberdeens alumini or open days, they need people like you. Its not opinion its fact, find me one league table Aberdeen is better then them in other than student satisafaction LMAO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You need a degree to get on the pgce course
    You don't necessarily need to do a pgce to teach. I have seen BSc's in teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Stay away from East London - you know the ex ploys. They are just ****.
    I hear this a lot. What's so bad about East London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    I hear this a lot. What's so bad about East London?
    Bad research, poor quality students and probably a very watered down syllabus.

There is a reason why it is at the bottom of the league table.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.