Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    You are nit picking though. Imtelling forgot to mention south Asians, who invented loads. We still need to explain why Africans and Americans and Australians invented relatively little. But I suspect imtelling is cynically trying to push a racist agenda.
    If it makes you feel any better, i think other Asians are in 3rd place of worlds greatest inventors.

ReputationRep:
    You are nit picking though. Imtelling forgot to mention south Asians, who invented loads. We still need to explain why Africans and Americans and Australians invented relatively little. But I suspect imtelling is cynically trying to push a racist agenda.
    its not nitpicking its pointing out a complete falsehood. he named two groups as some farcical attempt to suggest they were responsible for most advancements, he missed out prob mankinds most important one- maths.

what about ancient egypt - were they white or east-asian? i could run of a list of important egyptian inventions . i do not tolerate ignorance on a thread about genius, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yes, 'hate facts', as they are called. Telling a 'hate fact' means you have some sort of insidious agenda to push.....

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    If it makes you feel any better, i think other Asians are in 3rd place of worlds greatest inventors.
    im sure everyone holds your chart positioning in high esteem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    its not nitpicking its pointing out a complete falsehood. he named two groups as some farcical attempt to suggest they were responsible for most advancements, he missed out prob mankinds most important one- maths.

what about ancient egypt - were they white or east-asian? i could run of a list of important egyptian inventions . i do not tolerate ignorance on a thread about genius, sorry.

No one invented maths. Its like saying a particular group invented language.

ReputationRep:

He pointed out that some groups of people have invented the lion's share, which is true.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone on tsr who thinks they're a genius is just LOOOOOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im sure everyone holds your chart positioning in high esteem
    In the next few centuries i am sure East Asians, maybe even south Asians, will overtake in inventions. Who knows. It should be seen as a friendly rivalry for the betterment of civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    No one invented maths. Its like saying a particular group invented language.
    the system of mathematics the entire world uses today (including the numerals btw) was invented actually, yes in India. keep it up your ignorance is proving boundless

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yes, 'hate facts', as they are called. Telling a 'hate fact' means you have some sort of insidious agenda to push.....

No.
    Actually, the reason I suspect that is based on the content of some of your previous posts.

ReputationRep:
    In the next few centuries i am sure East Asians, maybe even south Asians, will overtake in inventions. Who knows. It should be seen as a friendly rivalry for the betterment of civilisation.
    We should be celebrating the contribution of ideas and individuals to civilisation, not races.

ReputationRep:
    He pointed out that some groups of people have invented the lion's share, which is true.
    how do establish what is the lions share to humanity - the invention of the ipod is not that impressive to me. the importance is more relevant than volume

ReputationRep:
    We should be celebrating the contribution of ideas and individuals to civilisation, not races.

Go move to Africa and see how far your individuality gets you. Without collective support, individuals cannot rise to their flu potential.

Isaac Newton for example, needed the collective genius of British and Western society to fulfil his potential of the greatest scientist who ever lived. He couldn't have done it as an individual.

ReputationRep:
    just to expand on what you are saying - there is actually no such thing as the 'white race' - so i didnt even know what he/you meant - caucasian people, people that 'look white' (if so we could discount some of the ancient greeks who were quite tanned)

ReputationRep:
    how do establish what is the lions share to humanity - the invention of the ipod is not that impressive to me. the importance is more relevant than volume
    Well Europeans and Asians invented almost everything, so unless you don't value inventions he does have a point. My take on it is that celebrating races is fundamentally a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    just to expand on what you are saying - there is actually no such thing as the 'white race' - so i didnt even know what he/you meant - caucasian people, people that 'look white' (if so we could discount some of the ancient greeks who were quite tanned)
    I never mentioned white people, just European / Asian people.

ReputationRep:
    the system of mathematics we use to day (including the numerals btw) was invented actually, yes. keep it up your ignorance is proving boundless

The first caveman who counted his fish invented maths. But, yes, you are correct. The numerals we use today came from India, and this is great. India gave numerals to Mathematics. Great contribution.

But, Mathematics is a universal evolving language. Lots of people have contributed to it. Most of its contributions come from Western civilisation.

The Greeks for example laid the foundations for our modern understanding of mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Go move to Africa and see how far your individuality gets you. Without collective support, individuals cannot rise to their flu potential.

Isaac Newton for example, needed the collective genius of British and Western society to fulfil his potential of the greatest scientist who ever lived. He couldn't have done it as an individual.
    Africa is held back by bad ideas, dictators and a lack of scepticism and belief in the Western Enlightenment. You are conflating ideas with race.

ReputationRep:
    Well Europeans and Asians invented almost everything, so unless you don't value inventions he does have a point. My take on it is that celebrating races is fundamentally a bad idea.
    well europe and asia are two of the three earliest populated continents. i dont really what point that is , its hardly a remarkable fact.

inventions came about for a variety of reasons, more to do with migrations of people, wealth of civilisations, even spoils of war and conquest/colony

you could argue women werent as involved in technological advancemnt becuase they didnt travel as much as men , or go to war as readily for anything up to the last 200 years

ReputationRep:
    Well I mean while there is a obvious domination, For example Babara Liskov won a Turing Award which is an example I can think of the top of my head, I am sure there are other examples as well. So it not like they never reach the tops of there fields.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.