Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Islam being shown enough Respect in Britain? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Proud of that Muslim man. He showed the middle finger to the haters like all Muslims should and followed his religion.
    Every Muslim should do the same.
    Yawn. Can global atheism hurry up please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    If you saw someone else on the other end I would understand. But I have never come across it in Britain and I really don't care about places outside the EU. They are too far away to actually effect me.
    It's actually closer than you think. For me, I live in East London, and its not frequent, but I have on occasions witnessed things like this.

ReputationRep:
    I'll respect Islam when most of the community doesn't actively call for my death.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Yawn. Can global atheism hurry up please
    Is that the best response you could come up with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Is that the best response you could come up with?
    To what? Adherent of religion no. 759494 praising said religion. It's just kind of tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmertic)
    If it covers the face, it should be banned.

It's late, I'm not reading your whole response. I read the health care bit though, yeah but you know who the doctor or medical person is who is operating on you or doing something to you. So it's easy to get a hold of them. When it's a random person on the street, not so easy.

Yeah cos people don't forge medical certificates.... and passports... and id's....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    I'll respect Islam when most of the community doesn't actively call for my death.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what you are saying is that you never will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL704)
    Yeah cos people don't forge medical certificates.... and passports... and id's....
    Someone forging a medical certificate wouldn't be working in a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    Why would you pray on a bus?

How do you know which way Mecca is?
    Lmfao 'Hey stop driver, I had the position then!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    So what you are saying is that you never will
    Seems highly unlikely in my lifetime

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Someone forging a medical certificate wouldn't be working in a hospital.
    It's happened, they forged diplomas, certificates, degrees, masters everything... yet we trust THOSE people with their faces covered... you don't know they are who they say they are.... yet you culturally accept it.

"Yes, you need your spleen removed.... it's vital" (To feed to my Rottweiler Fido.....mwuhahahahaha) "For your own health...." ( I suppose I could sell it on the black market.... hehehehe)

it's such a lame ass copout to say "Oh but I can't see there face! they must be trying to kill me!!!" talk about overreacting....

It is 'ignorance' - which means a lack of knowledge, information or understanding - not stupidity as some people take it to mean - that is what causes all of these hostile reactions to anyone who practices their religion. I understand why some people who are 'ignorant' to the religious practices of muslims would - thanks to tv and films and real life news reports adding to the fearmongering of the Daily mail and the BNP - ASSUME that they were in 'danger' as a muslim prayed in a public space.

If I suddenly started on the Hail mary on a bus, I would merely get looked at strangely, it is only prejudice that makes people assume all muslims are terrorists. It's lack of information that causes fear.

It's the chanting of God is great! God is great! is when you wanna crap yourself - not the prayers, they are much more complex and sound beautiful if you ever listen to them properly - and by that point, it's too late... if you're going down that train of thought.... complete nonsense!!!

Every muslim I have met has been happy to discuss their religion, and are not offended by asking about differences or why or how something is done and they all have condemned the extremists and say how they are as angry and sad about it as everyone else is that they are being labelled because of a nutjob minority.

Islam - Islamic extremists = Christianity - KKK ... yet you don't seem to think every church goer is about to tie you up on a flaming cross now do you?

And alextrg7597 just proved my point being Captain Ignorant....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL704)
    It's happened, they forged diplomas, certificates, degrees, masters everything... yet we trust THOSE people with their faces covered... you don't know they are who they say they are.... yet you culturally accept it.

"Yes, you need your spleen removed.... it's vital" (To feed to my Rottweiler Fido.....mwuhahahahaha) "For your own health...." ( I suppose I could sell it on the black market.... hehehehe)

it's such a lame ass copout to say "Oh but I can't see there face! they must be trying to kill me!!!" talk about overreacting....

It is 'ignorance' - which means a lack of knowledge, information or understanding - not stupidity as some people take it to mean - that is what causes all of these hostile reactions to anyone who practices their religion. I understand why some people who are 'ignorant' to the religious practices of muslims would - thanks to tv and films and real life news reports adding to the fearmongering of the Daily mail and the BNP - ASSUME that they were in 'danger' as a muslim prayed in a public space.

If I suddenly started on the Hail mary on a bus, I would merely get looked at strangely, it is only prejudice that makes people assume all muslims are terrorists. It's lack of information that causes fear.

It's the chanting of God is great! God is great! is when you wanna crap yourself - not the prayers, they are much more complex and sound beautiful if you ever listen to them properly - and by that point, it's too late... if you're going down that train of thought.... complete nonsense!!!

Every muslim I have met has been happy to discuss their religion, and are not offended by asking about differences or why or how something is done and they all have condemned the extremists and say how they are as angry and sad about it as everyone else is that they are being labelled because of a nutjob minority.

Islam - Islamic extremists = Christianity - KKK ... yet you don't seem to think every church goer is about to tie you up on a flaming cross now do you?

And alextrg7597 just proved my point being Captain Ignorant....
    You really are over thinking this.

Lets put it in to a hypothetical for you. You or a member of your family get attacked tomorrow and you want the person to be dealt with by the police because they were covering themselves in these sorts of Islamist clothing. You wouldn't like it would you, and you'd see it as unjust.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is shown plenty of respect; we allow them to barbarically kill animals, take Santa clause's out if shopping centre in case it causes offence and won't be long until we go as far as America and start saying happy holidays and not merry Christmas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just don't think religion in general is shown much respect. We are one of the most secular and irreligious nations in the world, with a population that is largely sceptical of religious belief.

ReputationRep:
    You really are over thinking this.

Lets put it in to a hypothetical for you. You or a member of your family get attacked tomorrow and you want the person to be dealt with by the police because they were covering themselves in these sorts of Islamist clothing. You wouldn't like it would you, and you'd see it as unjust.
    It's the same level of blind rejection as blind acceptance - the only difference is that because you disagree with the religious aspect, due to a minority of people who have abused that religion, creating fear and hatred of a peaceful people.

Violence is abhorred by muslims - only the extremists would use it - such as neo nazis would use it, there are violent people of all races and religions.

No, I would not demand someone removes a part of their religious dress to satisfy ignorant phobias of 'what if' mentality. I'm more likely to be attacked - statistically - by the white kid in a trackie from a council estate who smokes, drinks and takes drugs - who would be covering his face ONLY to hide his identity.

The niqaab is not a way of 'hiding from committing crime' - it is used by a subset within Sunni muslims (hanafi, shafi and hanbali) - specifically in front of non muslims - long story short, it is a whole lot easier than trying to educate non muslims to understand how eye contact and looking at women you are not married to is taken completely differently in muslim countries.

If you want to ban a religious veil, ban the one at weddings because they are purely sexist and have no religious function whatsoever as they symbolise the patriarchy of the woman being handed over as property to her husband and he 'unwraps' his new gift...

The niqaab should be allowed - providing there is cooperation for security measures which all real muslims actually are more than happy to, providing they are seen by another woman - which is not an unreasonable request. The veil shows conservative dress - as much as uber christians will wear long skirts and long sleeved clothes... thinking about it.... ban nuns and monks and priests clothes too.... considering more priests and vicars have been guilty of violent crime than any muslim woman in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    I just don't think religion in general is shown much respect. We are one of the most secular and irreligious nations in the world, with a population that is largely sceptical of religious belief.
    Really doesn't help that the Anglican (C of E) religion was only created because Henry VIII wanted a divorce.... yeah... build a religion to suit your own personal demands... I will create the religion of chocolate... you will all bring me chocolate when I ask... but it must be lacto free... or I will smite you with the big dairymilk in the sky!

But completely agree, there is a lack of understanding where it is not a compulsory subject in schools and it just breeds hatred of the unknown. My family are Irish - Welsh Catholics on the one side, Protestant on the other. I've always grown up respecting others religions, and right to practice those. At the end of the day, to me religion is about believing in God - no matter the name that you use to address them - and being kind and generous to all people, despite differences.

The problem is, there are people who thrive off hatred and enjoy fighting, causing trouble and segregation is their aim - only to hide their own true inferiority complexes. It's sad really, that people with no belief system feel the need to mock or despise those that do have faith, purely because they don't understand. A bit of education would go a long way.... but the likes of the BNP / daily mail etc really don't help matters as they prey on the bigotry of the uneducated. Sad but unfortunately true.

ReputationRep:
    Again on the issue of "respect" where there is somehow a generation of people who "demand respect" without doing anything to gain it. The mini gangster wannabes with their knives and guns, the kids who shout at their teachers, the ones with the real attitude problems... maybe they've had a hard life, parents who didn't really look after them, or whatever, but if you are respectful to others, you get respect back. It is horrible to think about how the UK is slowly becoming so damn hateful - considering most of England are immigrants - if you are not from a Celtic background, you are an immigrant.... surprise! You're either Roman (Italian), Anglo-Saxon (Germanic/ Scandinavian), Viking (more Scandinavian!), Norman (French) or Danish.... which highlights the bigotry of the uneducated even further when they ***** on about immigration... especially when they bang on about the Queen - whose family are from all over- being quintessentially British.

Britain has always been multicultural and integrated, but apparently people are no longer dying off of stupidity... I blame the NHS for that.... Seriously, some people have no leg to stand on when they know nothing about other cultures or even the history of their own country. I personally love the different cultures that we have all throughout the UK, if other people were as open to learning about the diversity that we have, then maybe there would be better integration and less hostility towards the unknown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL704)
    It's the same level of blind rejection as blind acceptance - the only difference is that because you disagree with the religious aspect, due to a minority of people who have abused that religion, creating fear and hatred of a peaceful people.

Violence is abhorred by muslims - only the extremists would use it - such as neo nazis would use it, there are violent people of all races and religions.

No, I would not demand someone removes a part of their religious dress to satisfy ignorant phobias of 'what if' mentality. I'm more likely to be attacked - statistically - by the white kid in a trackie from a council estate who smokes, drinks and takes drugs - who would be covering his face ONLY to hide his identity.

The niqaab is not a way of 'hiding from committing crime' - it is used by a subset within Sunni muslims (hanafi, shafi and hanbali) - specifically in front of non muslims - long story short, it is a whole lot easier than trying to educate non muslims to understand how eye contact and looking at women you are not married to is taken completely differently in muslim countries.

If you want to ban a religious veil, ban the one at weddings because they are purely sexist and have no religious function whatsoever as they symbolise the patriarchy of the woman being handed over as property to her husband and he 'unwraps' his new gift...

The niqaab should be allowed - providing there is cooperation for security measures which all real muslims actually are more than happy to, providing they are seen by another woman - which is not an unreasonable request. The veil shows conservative dress - as much as uber christians will wear long skirts and long sleeved clothes... thinking about it.... ban nuns and monks and priests clothes too.... considering more priests and vicars have been guilty of violent crime than any muslim woman in the uk.
    Shh, nobody cares anymore about what I have to say

ReputationRep:
    I will accept that people do follow religions and I will tolerate those who are religious.
    Whether I respect them or not depends on who they are as a person and what they have done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shh, nobody cares anymore about what I have to say
    That's precisely what I am getting at - everyone is entitled to have an opinion - but you need to have the full information before you start to judge people purely on how they look or appear to you.

Misunderstanding is always a cause of conflict.... I just want people to get along goddammit! :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.