Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people dislike Windows 8(.1)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    +1. Parallel Coherence mode is pure magic.

My only complaint is it reduces battery life by a few hours. But hey! That's still longer than most Windows laptops!
    What I don't get is it runs windows programs more efficiently than native windows does :confused: (and my desktop has far superior hardware] But I'm not complaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    By only making expensive products, they appeal to people who want other people to know they're rich and successful. If it wasn't obvious at a glance that someone's Macbook was expensive, a lot of people would be put off of buying one. That's why the 5C caused a bit of controversy. It's also how they get away with charging enormous premiums over the cost of manufacture/advertising/wages for things like iPhones when some equal or better Android phones are being sold for less than they cost to make.
    The newer Macbooks are actually quite a bit cheaper now than before.

Many of my friends and I have MacBooks, and I'm PRETTY sure it's not to show off how rich they are. Most of my friends are professional engineers, and we can all afford MacBooks pretty easily, so having one doesn't really mean anything. Most Mac users I know are also not the kind of people to buy computers as status symbols. That could have been the case a few years back, but MacBooks are actually very reasonably priced now for their specs (in the other thread you'll find way many comparisons). They are high end laptops, but pretty good value compared to other high end laptops.

But yes, iPhones are still overpriced (though they are also exploring the cheap route now with 5C).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    What I don't get is it runs windows programs more efficiently than native windows does :confused: (and my desktop has far superior hardware] But I'm not complaining
    Ha! Have you tried playing games? I tried a few older games and they actually worked pretty well in Parallels. Parallels 9 has pretty good 3D acceleration support.

Never thought I would be gaming on a virtual machine on a Mac with integrated graphics... but many games worked a lot better than I imagined.

ReputationRep:
    Hate windows 8
    Hate 8.1
    Idrc if it's faster my computer is pretty fast anyway but the modern UI is cringeworthy and disgusting.

Currently On W7 and sticking with it for the foreseeable future

(Original post by samba)
      You should check out parallels; it's a godsend
      No thank you, not for what I need Windows for it isn't.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      No thank you, not for what I need Windows for it isn't.
      Can't think of anything that doesn't run well on it.

ReputationRep:
      Ha! Have you tried playing games? I tried a few older games and they actually worked pretty well in Parallels. Parallels 9 has pretty good 3D acceleration support.

Never thought I would be gaming on a virtual machine on a Mac with integrated graphics... but many games worked a lot better than I imagined.
      Nope, only just started playing around with a mac so really it's just MT5 and a coupla other little things I run on it so far
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      That's fair enough.

Apple should really make a low end laptop. Not sure why they are totally ignoring that market segment.

I'll revise my annoyance to be for people who buy high end Windows laptops to do what Macs can do, too, then .
      I wouldn't want to see Apple making a low end laptop given how bad their new low end iMacs are, I don't think it would be too good for them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jammy Duel)
      I wouldn't want to see Apple making a low end laptop given how bad their new low end iMacs are, I don't think it would be too good for them.
      They are similar in specs and price to Windows All-in-Ones.

But yes, I wish they would make cheaper standalone computers, too. I don't really get all the AIW hype.

Laptops are totally different though. Both current generation MBAs and MBPs are extremely well reviewed laptops. That's a better indicator of how well they would be able to make low end laptops.

If they just take out the retina screen, use a slower ULV CPU (like most lower end Windows laptops), slightly smaller battery (same battery life due to low voltage CPU), and maybe slower SSD (not everyone need 700MB/s SSDs, and higher density flash chips are cheaper than multiple low density ones), they should be able to offer a laptop for a few hundred £s less. PC laptop makers will be in a lot of trouble then.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      They are similar in specs and price to Windows All-in-Ones.

But yes, I wish they would make cheaper standalone computers, too. I don't really get all the AIW hype.

Laptops are totally different though. Both current generation MBAs and MBPs are extremely well reviewed laptops. That's a better indicator of how well they would be able to make low end laptops.

If they just take out the retina screen, use a slower ULV CPU (like most lower end Windows laptops), slightly smaller battery (same battery life due to low voltage CPU), and maybe slower SSD (not everyone need 700MB/s SSDs, and higher density flash chips are cheaper than multiple low density ones), they should be able to offer a laptop for a few hundred £s less. PC laptop makers will be in a lot of trouble then.
      The thing about their new "budget" desktops is it's basically a laptop being sold as a desktop, so I really would worry about what they would do for a budget laptop.

ReputationRep:
      The thing about their new "budget" desktops is it's basically a laptop being sold as a desktop, so I really would worry about what they would do for a budget laptop.
      Yes, that's how generally AIW "desktops" are constructed. They all use laptop parts, because they need to fit in space that's not much bigger than laptops. It's not really specific to Apple.

I don't think I'll ever get an iMac. I'll either get a PC and run hackintosh, or just use my MacBook with a dock (if I don't need a video card).

The iMacs are definitely not nearly as attractive as the MacBooks. They are really just good old AIWs with good screens (though screen on PC AIWs are now at a point where it doesn't really matter anymore).

ReputationRep:
      because it's trying to be all 'app-y' like an ipad without a touch screen.... I like hacking into my computer and rearranging and seeing all my folders.... I don't like the idea of "click this square and we'll hide whatever you want because we won't let you see.... mwuhahaha" it's like the whole 'cloud' thing of where they don't tell you, as soon as it is uploaded, it is NO LONGER YOUR PROPERTY... yup photos of people's kids now belong to THE CLOUD and then will be used however they like.... or your dissertation... yup, not yours... no book for you!

it's creepy secretive and I like my file and menu bars! I like my desktop and not having "pictures to make it easier...." I swear to god we're all gonna end up like that Idiocracy movie....
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EL704)
      because it's trying to be all 'app-y' like an ipad without a touch screen.... I like hacking into my computer and rearranging and seeing all my folders.... I don't like the idea of "click this square and we'll hide whatever you want because we won't let you see.... mwuhahaha" it's like the whole 'cloud' thing of where they don't tell you, as soon as it is uploaded, it is NO LONGER YOUR PROPERTY... yup photos of people's kids now belong to THE CLOUD and then will be used however they like.... or your dissertation... yup, not yours... no book for you!

it's creepy secretive and I like my file and menu bars! I like my desktop and not having "pictures to make it easier...." I swear to god we're all gonna end up like that Idiocracy movie....
      What are you rambling about?

ReputationRep:
      What are you rambling about?
      The question was why don't people like windows 8... other than "It sucks" I gave my reasons....
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EL704)
      The question was why don't people like windows 8... other than "It sucks" I gave my reasons....
      Simple solution to it: Don't use the modern UI, because it sounds like that is the issue.

ReputationRep:
      Which is faster, a search function that takes less than a second to access and maybe 2 to do the search, or having to spend several seconds trawling through the menus to find it? The search function saves, in the long run, A LOT of time.
      I don't know about you but I only have to press the Windows key to start searching on Win7 as well.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't think this thread would still be going on.

ReputationRep:
      I don't quite understand, there are a few annoying quirks, but the main reasons people seem to complain are:
      1) Modern UI
      2) No start menu

But, are either of these really reasons to hate? If you don't like Modern UI, don't use it, there are a couple of things which force you into the modern UI, but most people will barely touch these things.
      No start menu? Download one And anyway, when they will bring it back in windows 9 I will barely use it (apart from the functionality that remains in 8 via right clicking the windows icon).
      The only other slightly annoying thing is the really derpy default programs, but they're easy enough to change.
      crashes more often , as i type "thestudentroom.co.uk is not responding"

ReputationRep:
      Simple solution to it: Don't use the modern UI, because it sounds like that is the issue.
      So how do you revert it back? to look like windows 7?
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EL704)
      So how do you revert it back? to look like windows 7?
      Press that windows icon in the corner to go to the desktop...
      If you really insist, download a start menu plugin

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.