Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Alcoholic)
    Like I said if you eat nandos everyday but still stick within your daily intake of salt by keeping all other meals low in salt or indeed as you suggest moderate the size of your nandos meal, you'll stay healthy, but that doesn't make nandos healthy.
    But as I said, it is (with the right choices made). It can be 1.8g of salt (30% of RDA) which is surely within the bounds of healthy however you look at it.

Unless there's other aspects that you think are particularly unhealthy, Nandos can definitely be a healthy meal, which you categorically denied.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Nandos is overrated.:^_^:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything really wrong with Nando's - just that it's become far too expensive.

When it first opened, it was really good value. Then, the prices just went through the roof and it was no longer a cheap outing.

ReputationRep:
    My friends love Nandos and being a vegetarian I hate going there because the vegetarian option suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    But as I said, it does (with the right choices made). It can be 1.8g of salt (30% of RDA) which is surely within the bounds of healthy however you look at it.

Unless there's other aspects that you think are particularly unhealthy, Nandos can definitely be a healthy meal, which you categorically denied.

Yes but you're still misunderstanding my point. What you are doing here is a version of macros adjusting. You're eating indulgence food, but in a way that you moderate how much you eat so you don't go over your macros limit.

A nandos meal per calorie contains a lot of salt (I would imagine amongst other things). A single dinner as was suggested earlier contains 3.4 grams of salt. As you say most people eat 3 meals a day with the most amount of calories coming from their dinner so for a dinner of 800-900 calories which is not unreasonable for someone eating 2k to 2.5k calories a day contains, as stated, 3.4 grams of salt.

On the other hand a healthy meal of plain veg, lean meat and complex carbs will contain far less salt than that, that's even with far more calories.

If a food contains a high amount of salt and/or any other unhealthy food additive per calorie, it cannot be considered healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Chipotle beats Nando's hands down.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but you're still misunderstanding my point. What you are doing here is a version of macros adjusting. You're eating indulgence food, but in a way that you moderate how much you eat so you don't go over your macros limit.

A nandos meal per calorie contains a lot of salt (I would imagine amongst other things). A single dinner as was suggested earlier contains 3.4 grams of salt. As you say most people eat 3 meals a day with the most amount of calories coming from their dinner so for a dinner of 800-900 calories which is not unreasonable for someone eating 2k to 2.5k calories a day contains, as stated, 3.4 grams of salt.

On the other hand a healthy meal of plain veg, lean mean and complex carbs will contain far less salt than that, that's even with far more calories.

If a food contains a high amount of salt and/or any other unhealthy food additive per calorie, it cannot be considered healthy.
    That particular dinner.

So 800-900 calories, but an acceptable amount of salt? The 1/2 chicken leg with luso beans would be 870 cals and 2.5g salt. Yes, not as healthy as some things, but we're not talking an athlete's meal, we're talking "reasonably healthy".

It would be 43.5% of your calories and 42% of your salt.

ReputationRep:
    That particular dinner.

So 800-900 calories, but an acceptable amount of salt? The 1/2 chicken leg with luso beans would be 870 cals and 2.5g salt. Yes, not as healthy as some things, but we're not talking an athlete's meal, we're talking "reasonably healthy".

It would be 43.5% of your calories and 42% of your salt.
    Well ok, again if you can fit it in your daily limits then fine. Again I think you seem to think I'm disagreeing that you can be healthy and eat nandos, which I'm not. I'm suggesting in general nandos isn't that healthy, but if you moderate it like you are doing then you can be healthy.

I would consider the chicken with luso healthier, but it's still not necessarily healthy. In that meal for the amount of calories you get, you're not getting much nutrition. You're getting protein and one source of vegies for still quite a considerable amount of salt. Remember just because you have a recommended daily amount of salt, doesn't mean you should try to meet that target. If anything you should try to not meet that target. The daily allowance is just a limit of how much salt you can eat without many negative consequences. The less salt, the healthier it is.

For the equivalent calories a meal of plain chicken breast, far more plain and varied veggies and a source of unprocessed carbs, you'll be getting far more nutrition, with far less sodium.

So again in my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily call it healthy but it isn't bad then. However, I equally wouldn't call eating mcdonalds everyday bad if you stayed within your daily intake of bad nutrition. However I wouldn't call a mcdonalds meal healthy either.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't even a Nando's in Cornwall

ReputationRep:
    Well ok, again if you can fit it in your daily limits then fine. Again I think you seem to think I'm disagreeing that you can be healthy and eat nandos, which I'm not. I'm suggesting in general nandos isn't that healthy, but if you moderate it like you are doing then you can be healthy.
    No, I know what you're saying and the difference between the two.

I would consider the chicken with luso healthier, but it's still not necessarily healthy. In that meal for the amount of calories you get, you're not getting much nutrition. You're getting protein and one source of vegies for still quite a considerable amount of salt. Remember just because you have a recommended daily amount of salt, doesn't mean you should try to meet that target. If anything you should try to not meet that target. The daily allowance is just a limit of how much salt you can eat without many negative consequences. The less salt, the healthier it is.
    Indeed, less is better when it comes to salt (unless you get to dangerously low levels). But if you're eating under the RDA, as you would be based on a diet with the salt-per-calorie of that meal, I don't think you can call it unhealthy.

For the equivalent calories a meal of plain chicken breast, far more plain and varied veggies and a source of unprocessed carbs, you'll be getting far more nutrition, with far less sodium.
    Absolutely, that would be healthier. Doesn't mean the Nandos one isn't healthy.

So again in my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily call it healthy but it isn't bad then. However, I equally wouldn't call eating mcdonalds everyday bad if you stayed within your daily intake of bad nutrition. However I wouldn't call a mcdonalds meal healthy either.
    Perhaps we have a different definition of healthy. with your standards for it being higher. If a definition of a healthy meal is it including an optimal ratio of calories to fat to protein to salt to sugar, plus containing all required nutrients, vitamins and minerals, then very few meals will be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    hipsters gonna hipster
    hipsters gonna hipster
    sloots gonans sloot
    tsr gonna tsr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    hipsters gonna hipster
    sloots gonans sloot
    tsr gonna tsr
    das it mane

ReputationRep:
    No, I know what you're saying and the difference between the two.

Indeed, less is better when it comes to salt (unless you get to dangerously low levels). But if you're eating under the RDA, as you would be based on a diet with the salt-per-calorie of that meal, I don't think you can call it unhealthy.

Absolutely, that would be healthier. Doesn't mean the Nandos one isn't healthy.

Perhaps we have a different definition of healthy. with your standards for it being higher. If a definition of a healthy meal is it including an optimal ratio of calories to fat to protein to salt to sugar, plus containing all required nutrients, vitamins and minerals, then very few meals will be healthy.

The thing is though most people including myself, when we go to places like nandos we don't go with the thought of eating in moderation or counting sodium intake etc. For the average nandos meals sold, there will be a lot of salt and other unhealthy stuff in there. That's why eating out most of the time is an indulgence and arguably that's the whole point of these places.

I mean when I go out to eat, I go to town. My salt, fat and sugar intake for the day goes through the roof. If I went everyday with the consideration of my health and only ate the few plain healthy items on the menu then I might as well save money and eat the same at home.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though most people including myself, when we go to places like nandos we don't go with the thought of eating in moderation or counting sodium intake etc. For the average nandos meals sold, there will be a lot of salt and other unhealthy stuff in there. That's why eating out most of the time is an indulgence and arguably that's the whole point of these places.

I mean when I go out to eat, I go to town. My salt, fat and sugar intake for the day goes through the roof. If I went everyday with the consideration of my health and only ate the few plain healthy items on the menu then I might as well save money and eat the same at home.
    I agree, when I go out for a meal I'll have pretty much whatever I feel like. But I was just making the point that if someone was watching their diet carefully and found themselves at Nandos, it'd be possible for them to have a meal without any adjustment to their diet needed.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, when I go out for a meal I'll have pretty much whatever I feel like. But I was just making the point that if someone was watching their diet carefully and found themselves at Nandos, it'd be possible for them to have a meal without any adjustment to their diet needed.
    True, but arguably you could do the same at any restaurant and adjust a meal to meet your diet. Like just have a small kids pizza at pizza hut or only a small chicken nuggets at mcds etc. But that would just be depressing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Nandos is fine, it tastes alright, price is alright, but the hype around it is a bit much

(Original post by SandmanMMA)
    I wonder what hormones are fed to their cheap battery chickens which they sell at ten times the price they're bought for........same goes for kfc, mcdonalds etc.
    None, all hormones are banned in chicken food and have been for years

No such thing as a battery meat chicken either

ReputationRep:
    too expensive, a meal costs me £15 are u having a laugh. could buy my own farm

ReputationRep:
    True, but arguably you could do the same at any restaurant and adjust a meal to meet your diet. Like just have a small kids pizza at pizza hut or only a small chicken nuggets at mcds etc. But that would just be depressing.
    That would probably have a too high salt-per-calorie content

Nandos is definitely healthier than KFC, Dominos etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    I hear lots of people going on about nandos like it's amazing & tastes so good. I tried it for the first time last year and it was like WTF? Chicken & chips that costs £10 per person It doesn't even taste that great, you can buy a bottle of peri peri sauce for like £1 and a chicken for £4 in the supermarket and you can feed 4 people, . Nandos is crap!!

Why are Mc Donald's and KFC overrated ?

1. Effective Marketing and advertising
    2. Word of mouth.

They are portrayed as restaurants for "family and friends time".

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how Nando's is expensive tbh. What kind of restaurants do you guys go to? The price is very decent for a restaurant. Domino's on the other hand is what I call expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.