The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hazard17

Cambridge, UCL and Imperial achieved higher scores than Oxford this year. The only reason LSE aren't there is because they don't cover all subjects, only the Social sciences and Maths. Whereas Warwick would be up there but they're fairly new and don't have that International prestige yet. However Id say the top 6 in the UK (Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Warwick) are all in the Top 12 in the world.

I think Warwick is 64? Which isn't that bad. But I agree I think it's top.
Well considering the vast majority of graduates that go work abroad aren't from these unis, then no.

TBH I reckon the uk and the USA are the two worst countries that put so much emphasis on things like uni ranking etc. Uni ranking is a relatively new thing, before that it was more about the ability of the individual than what uni they went to.
Original post by PythianLegume
Hmm, I'm guessing you applied for Maths, Economics, or related fields? That's the only reason I could think for you placing Warwick alongside the other 5 in terms of international ranking.

Haha spot on! Economics and statistics, someone clearly knows what they're talking about :biggrin:

Warwick are unreal when it comes to Maths, many see them only to be second only to cambridge. Whereas they consistently dominate the league tables for economics. Honestly it'd be hard to choose between the 2 for me.
Haha spot on! Economics and statistics, someone clearly knows what they're talking about :biggrin:

Warwick are unreal when it comes to Maths, many see them only to be second only to cambridge. Whereas they consistently dominate the league tables for economics. Honestly it'd be hard to choose between the 2 for me.

:rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anonymouspie227
I think Warwick is 64? Which isn't that bad. But I agree I think it's top.

International rankings are weird. Warwick is clearly a class above Kings College London but KCL seem to consistently rank among the top 20 even though they have fallen dramatically in the UK rankings over the past 10 years or so. They seem to be living off their past when it comes to international rankings. Still a good uni, but stronger than Warwick, thats craaazy
Original post by TheGuyReturns
x

Loool what? do you not think Warwick are as good as UCL? if not better
Reply 86

The many you're referring to are mostly Warwick maths students :lol:
Loool what? do you not think Warwick are as good as UCL? if not better

What? You compared Warwick to Cambridge not UCL... but while we're here, no. Near enough all tables, studies, statistics (some of which I have posted on this very thread) that I've seen point to UCL ranking above Warwick.
Only on internet forums with an overabundance of keyboard egomaniacs and pseudo-intellectuals.

If we are to take the opinions of some of the posters to their logical conclusion, the majority of the United Kingdom's population may as well kill themselves. Really, how can they possibly achieve anything without going to Oxford or Cambridge. The sheer arrogance of these plebs! *Sips his wine, while listening to Mozart's 9th symphony*
International rankings are weird. Warwick is clearly a class above Kings College London but KCL seem to consistently rank among the top 20 even though they have fallen dramatically in the UK rankings over the past 10 years or so. They seem to be living off their past when it comes to international rankings. Still a good uni, but stronger than Warwick, thats craaazy

They are not living off their past. They are living off their research base in the sciences and the quality of their academics. I have posted elsewhere the metrics for one of the international league tables. It has virtually no connection with the undergraduate experience

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372&page=83&p=49001730&highlight=thes#post49001730
Original post by TheGuyReturns
What? You compared Warwick to Cambridge not UCL... but while we're here, no. Near enough all tables, studies, statistics (some of which I have posted on this very thread) that I've seen point to UCL ranking above Warwick.

Haha sorry, i only compared them for Maths and Economics which they aren't far apart at all. But i agree with UCL being higher for majority of the subjects taken.
Nearly everyone I know chose other universities over oxbridge choosing Manchester, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Southampton etc, instead. (And all of them had offers)
Oxbridge is massively overrated and is really only mazing for a few subject e.g. Maths, Physics, Classics etc.

However this something you only tend to realise once you've been round and seen other universities.
Original post by EdmundBurke
Only on internet forums with an overabundance of keyboard egomaniacs and pseudo-intellectuals.

If we are to take the opinions of some of the posters to their logical conclusion, the majority of the United Kingdom's population may as well kill themselves. Really, how can they possibly achieve anything without going to Oxford or Cambridge. The sheer arrogance of these plebs! *Sips his wine, while listening to Mozart's 9th symphony*

I should point out that Mozart ought to have been starting his GCSEs when he wrote his 9th symphony. :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Doomquest
Nearly everyone I know chose other universities over oxbridge choosing Manchester, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Southampton etc, instead. (And all of them had offers)
Oxbridge is massively overrated and is really only mazing for a few subject e.g. Maths, Physics, Classics etc.

However this something you only tend to realise once you've been round and seen other universities.

Not to discredit you, but it's rather odd that nearly everyone you know chose a different university even with Oxford/Cambridge offers, when you consider that such a tiny fraction of people who get an offer from Oxford/Cambridge end up firming somewhere else.
Reply 94
Original post by godd
Reason being Imperial is not University of London.

But still yeah, Imperial is a top institution.

Imperial is top 5 in UK for sure but not in world's eyes.
In the UK, LSE and UCL are old with prestigious names which is why they are more favoured outside of UK.
Original post by ETRC
In the UK, LSE and UCL are old with prestigious names which is why they are more favoured outside of UK.

Really? What makes you think that?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799003&page=2&p=49485909#post49485909
Reply 96
Original post by ETRC

I would say KCL is probably as well known as LSE and UCL worldwide. Imperial although top notch, has this problem that not everyone has heard of it outside of the UK. Though it's probably just behind of KCL in terms of recognition worldwide.
Kind of like saying the only football teams that matter are Manchester City and Manchester United or something. Obviously not everyone can go to Oxford or Cambridge, so there must be more universities than just those two that are highly regarded.
Reply 98

One or two articles does not prove anything.
it is known that Imperial is not as big outside of UK.
Original post by ETRC
One or two articles does not prove anything.
it is known that Imperial is not as big outside of UK.

It's a pretty solid study, from the NYTimes at that. One or two articles is more than you have provided.

Latest

Trending

Trending