The Student Room Group

Is Being a Vegan/Vegetarian Healthier?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jaquele
i kno its a bit late, but i don't really see the point of vegetarianism. Not to be mean, but the animals you pick up at the supermarket are dead, and you not eating them is not going to sop them from being produced. By eating them at least you don't put their life to waste, because they will be disposed of otherwise.

Plus protein is essential, and the form it is in when it is found from an animal is natural and pure. Lack of natural protein can cause many problems including improper growth of your baby in the womb. Tofu products contain hydrogenated vegetable fats, which are byproducts of monosodium glutamate, this can cause brain damage.

Well we can all tell you know nothing..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
I don't get how you meat eaters can account for people like myself while been vegetarians for generations upon generations and we are healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I don't get how you meat eaters can account for people like myself while been vegetarians for generations upon generations and we are healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think anybody with half a brain really believes that vegetarianism/veganism is inherently unhealthy.

That post above yours is why we need neg rep back
Reply 83
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

we are not saying its unhealthy, to be honest its slightly better for the economy in terms of biomass ( the amount of produce gained from vegetable matter is higher that the amount of meat sourced from a cow considering how much food it has to consume for a pound of meat), but that will never stop farmers and you still need your protein.
Reply 84
Original post by e aí rapaz
I don't think anybody with half a brain really believes that vegetarianism/veganism is inherently unhealthy.

That post above yours is why we need neg rep back

Read this thread and tell me people don't have this idea. People get this idea that a lack of animal protein or supplements results in weedy growth or something. Or that the kid is gonna have some kind of illness as a result.

Just because you may not be saying it, doesn't mean lots of other people are. You're just being dishonest if you don't see that's people's general view.

They still can't seem to explain generations of people, even entire communities who are vegetarian and don't appear to have these defects on an abnormal scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by jaquele
we are not saying its unhealthy, to be honest its slightly better for the economy in terms of biomass ( the amount of produce gained from vegetable matter is higher that the amount of meat sourced from a cow considering how much food it has to consume for a pound of meat), but that will never stop farmers and you still need your protein.

I'm not asking to stop or change anything, just don't see how it's a default attitude that a vegetarian diet has all these inadequacies and they are virtually bound to produce some health defects. It's not an accurate image to build.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Ggmu!
I'm not asking to stop or change anything, just don't see how it's a default attitude that a vegetarian diet has all these inadequacies and they are virtually bound to produce some health defects. It's not an accurate image to build.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, vegetarianism can be healthy, but all the nutrients you have in meat will most likely be presented artificially. I know it sounds studio, but do you eat insects? They contain a large amount of essential nutrients including being rich in iron and protein. They don't taste that bad if you prepare them well.( you probably think I'm crazy lol)
Original post by jaquele

Plus protein is essential, and the form it is in when it is found from an animal is natural and pure. Lack of natural protein can cause many problems including improper growth of your baby in the womb. Tofu products contain hydrogenated vegetable fats, which are byproducts of monosodium glutamate, this can cause brain damage.

Have you ever seen a person with protein deficiency?
Fruits and vegetables on their own can supply enough protein, not to mention grains, nuts and beans.
Tofu and soy are one of the least healthy products and are recommended to be avoided in a healthy vegan diet.
Original post by Ggmu!
Read this thread and tell me people don't have this idea. People get this idea that a lack of animal protein or supplements results in weedy growth or something. Or that the kid is gonna have some kind of illness as a result.

Just because you may not be saying it, doesn't mean lots of other people are. You're just being dishonest if you don't see that's people's general view.

They still can't seem to explain generations of people, even entire communities who are vegetarian and don't appear to have these defects on an abnormal scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read it. Only a few idiots have said that it's unhealthy.

Although I agree with you that people have this general view that vegetarians are weedy and anaemic, that's true. If you challenge people about it though it all boils down to ignorance on the subject.
Original post by jaquele
To be fair, vegetarianism can be healthy, but all the nutrients you have in meat will most likely be presented artificially. I know it sounds studio, but do you eat insects? They contain a large amount of essential nutrients including being rich in iron and protein. They don't taste that bad if you prepare them well.( you probably think I'm crazy lol)

Actually you are right. Most of the vegetarian animals do eat insects to gain more nutrients.
Personally I prefer adding chlorela to my diet and eat more fresh organic fruits without washing them to get enough B12.
As for iron and protein, grains and beans have a lot of it.
Reply 90
I read it. Only a few idiots have said that it's unhealthy.

Although I agree with you that people have this general view that vegetarians are weedy and anaemic, that's true. If you challenge people about it though it all boils down to ignorance on the subject.

its not an ignorant view on the subject, its a developed opinion. I chose to consume meat because i know that if i didn't eat the chicken it would either be eaten by another person or be disposed of. Why are you guys vegetarians?
Reply 91
Original post by Kathy89
Actually you are right. Most of the vegetarian animals do eat insects to gain more nutrients.
Personally I prefer adding chlorela to my diet and eat more fresh organic fruits without washing them to get enough B12.
As for iron and protein, grains and beans have a lot of it.

Yup. My friend is a vegan, but he eats mealworms and crickets. He is a great cook and can prepear them and make them very delicious.

To be hoesnt, vegetarianism isn't that bad its being a vegan that can cause many deficiencies. You lose most of your essential nutrients and will most likely consume an artificial alternative.

What made you a vegetarian?
Reply 92
It depends.

Vegans and vegetarians lack in many essential minerals such as zinc and magnesium as they do not eat meat, they also lack in healthy fats most of the time. Therefore you will have to supplement these vitamins and minerals and eat plenty of nuts/olive oil to replace the meat.

Vegetarians and vegans have been shown to have lower levels of testosterone in general, id say eating a bit of meat everyday will not be harmful. Just eat chicken or turkey and limit red meat.
Doesnt matter if you are veggie or non veggie. If you have right food in right amount, you'll be healthy and fine. Meat can always be substituted for vegetarian alternative.

Just eat something in small amount after every two hours. Thats the suggestion I got from my doctor.
Original post by jaquele
Yup. My friend is a vegan, but he eats mealworms and crickets. He is a great cook and can prepear them and make them very delicious.

To be hoesnt, vegetarianism isn't that bad its being a vegan that can cause many deficiencies. You lose most of your essential nutrients and will most likely consume an artificial alternative.

What made you a vegetarian?

Actually it is the opposite. Being vegetarian causes much more health issues than being vegan. Milk and diary products are the cause of many issues including anemia, cataracts, problems with calcium and iron absorption and of course digestion problems.

I am vegan because it is healthier.
Original post by jaquele
its not an ignorant view on the subject, its a developed opinion. I chose to consume meat because i know that if i didn't eat the chicken it would either be eaten by another person or be disposed of. Why are you guys vegetarians?

Firstly, that's not the case. The more people who choose not to eat animals, the less animals the industry will produce. That may be a tiny change individually, but as a group (one which is growing in size) it makes a difference. There are many things in this world that have little effect individually, but you do because as one of many, you can change or decide things.

Secondly, I am taking personal moral responsibility, which allows me to sleep better at night.

Anyway, you absolutely 100% can live a healthy life without animal product protein, so you're totally wrong on that front. And if your friend eats insects and worms, he's not a vegan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 96
Firstly, that's not the case. The more people who choose not to eat animals, the less animals the industry will produce. That may be a tiny change individually, but as a group (one which is growing in size) it makes a difference. There are many things in this world that have little effect individually, but you do because as one of many, you can change or decide things.

Secondly, I am taking personal moral responsibility, which allows me to sleep better at night.

Anyway, you absolutely 100% can live a healthy life without animal product protein, so you're totally wrong on that front. And if your friend eats insects and worms, he's not a vegan.

sorry but you will never convince them to decrease the slaughter of animals. I hate how they treat them, but at the moment they have high demand so they will supply highly. You might as well make use of the last thing to their legacy :frown:
Original post by LTG
It depends.

Vegans and vegetarians lack in many essential minerals such as zinc and magnesium as they do not eat meat, they also lack in healthy fats most of the time. Therefore you will have to supplement these vitamins and minerals and eat plenty of nuts/olive oil to replace the meat.

Vegetarians and vegans have been shown to have lower levels of testosterone in general, id say eating a bit of meat everyday will not be harmful. Just eat chicken or turkey and limit red meat.

Most of the nuts contain enough zinc. raw tehina contains a lot of zinc.
Green leaved plants contain enough magnesium.
Fats are produced in our own bodies, we need only those found in plants as we cant produce them.
You dont meed to eat a lot of nuts and olive oil, you need to eat a verity of foods.

Meat is a good replacement for plant based foods when you cant get enough verity of it (which is not possible today, there are so many verity of different plant based food in the supermarket or even raw plant based food that you dont need meat and of course diary to supply all the nutrients).
Original post by jaquele
sorry but you will never convince them to decrease the slaughter of animals. I hate how they treat them, but at the moment they have high demand so they will supply highly. You might as well make use of the last thing to their legacy :frown:

Yeah, you're wrong. Even if that were true, eating them to "give them a legacy" is one the most absurd things I've heard in a while. But anyway...

Let's take the US for example, since their data is easily available. Roughly 5% of their population is estimated to be vegetarian or vegan. That's about 15 million people. If you think that doesn't reduce the number of animals kept and slaughtered for food, you're wrong. There's really no debate about it so I'm out of the conversation with you now. If that's what you need to tell yourself to justify your behaviour then so be it.
Reply 99
Original post by Kathy89
Most of the nuts contain enough zinc. raw tehina contains a lot of zinc.
Green leaved plants contain enough magnesium.
Fats are produced in our own bodies, we need only those found in plants as we cant produce them.
You dont meed to eat a lot of nuts and olive oil, you need to eat a verity of foods.

Meat is a good replacement for plant based foods when you cant get enough verity of it (which is not possible today, there are so many verity of different plant based food in the supermarket or even raw plant based food that you dont need meat and of course diary to supply all the nutrients).

With all due respect, I dont need to be told about nutrition. I already know what I am talking about. There is no way you will get 15g of zinc a day from a few nuts, you will also not get enough magnesium from green vegetables. You will need a lot of grains to get this in, and even then you may struggle.

It's simple maths, you NEED essential fats that are found in red meat, nuts and oils for your hormones. Fats will not magically be produced in your body, and plants alone will not provide numbers in the 70-80g range. I know this because I do powerlifitng and eat organic, including meats, and it is still a struggle to hit the right numbers therefore I have to eat a lot of peanut butter and olive oil.

This variety is nonsense also, there are no benefits to eating a variety of foods if you are taking in your required macro-nutrients, vitamins and minerals. As for meat, nothing will substitute the nutrition found in meat. The protein content is only matched by eggs gram for gram, you will have to ingest massive amounts of alternatives like beans, grains and vegetables to match the daily needs.

It's that simple.

Quick Reply

Latest