When will Brendan Rodgers be sacked? Watch

Bubzeh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Get a grip. Rafa constantly worked on a shoe string. Do you really think Babel was chosen over Silva? Next you'll be telling me it was Bellamy over Villa.

If you're given little to no cash you're obviously going to end up with the N'Gog's and the Voronins.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Bubzeh)
Get a grip. Rafa constantly worked on a shoe string. Do you really think Babel was chosen over Silva? Next you'll be telling me it was Bellamy over Villa.

If you're given little to no cash you're obviously going to end up with the N'Gog's and the Voronins.
Rafa had plenty of cash, especially from player sales, it was just spent poorly. E.g he got £35m for Alonso/Arbeloa in his last season and wasted most of it on Aquilani and Kyrgiakos, plus Glen Johnson's expensive contract. Previous year he spent big on Dossena, Keane & Riera, all of whom were sold after 12 months.

Not denying that Liverpool's Cowboy owners tightened their purse strings, but to say he was working on ''little to no cash'' is far from the truth. Plus, half of Liverpool's rivals were in the same position (e.g United with Glazernomics and Arsenal needing to pay off their stadium). Rafa had a higher net spend than Manchester United in every season he was at Liverpool.
Bubzeh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Rafa had plenty of cash, especially from player sales, it was just spent poorly. E.g he got £35m for Alonso/Arbeloa in his last season and wasted most of it on Aquilani and Kyrgiakos, plus Glen Johnson's expensive contract. Previous year he spent big on Dossena, Keane & Riera, all of whom were sold after 12 months.

Not denying that Liverpool's Cowboy owners tightened their purse strings, but to say he was working on ''little to no cash'' is far from the truth. Plus, half of Liverpool's rivals were in the same position (e.g United with Glazernomics and Arsenal needing to pay off their stadium). Rafa had a higher net spend than Manchester United in every season he was at Liverpool.
Is 7-8 million on Dossena and similar figure on Riera really spending big? That's my issue, it's not. It's not spending 80-120 million in one season. Riera, for his fee, was a brilliant signing and was arguably Liverpool's best left sided player in god knows how long. He was a part of the side that finished 2nd and beat the Madrid's 4-0 in the CL etc.

Aquilani and Kyrigiakos was for a combined fee of around 6 million. 20 million is just lazy media writing. Aquilani arrived injured, the fee for his transfer was to be made up 18-24 months down the line and with appearance fees, hence them selling him 12 months later so they didn't have to pay those. Making 35 million from 2 players and getting 6 million back isn't on.

Keane was a disgrace that's fine, I'll never defend that. But he was sold after 6 months for 15 million. Minor loss.

ANYHOW I'm boring myself now. At the end of the day, Rafa would spend the cash he has like a boss. Look at Napoli now.

Last season. Cavani out for 65 million.

In comes Mertens, Callejon, Albiol, Higuain, all of which Napoli will make profit on down the line, with the exception of Higuain maybe.

This season, Koulibaly, remember him because in January or June he'll be off to a City or PSG.
fajita.and.friends
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not gonna lie, I clicked on this because I thought Brendan Rogers was the presenter of Coach Trip
PillsIV
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a Liverpool fan I can say about 5% of the fans are starting to think that maybe he should be.

I am starting to think he should too, I mean I think he should be given until the end of the season, but then if he does fail. It just mean when the new manager comes in he will need a season of transition. If the manager came in now, he would have this seasons January transfer window and the rest of this season to embed his philosophies.

He sort of gets a head start if you know what I mean.

Sigh... seriously can't be ****ed with this season... Just disappointing as hell
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
This. Don't forget the influx of dreadful Spanish players in his early days, either.
MHenton11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PillsIV)
As a Liverpool fan I can say about 5% of the fans are starting to think that maybe he should be.

I am starting to think he should too, I mean I think he should be given until the end of the season, but then if he does fail. It just mean when the new manager comes in he will need a season of transition. If the manager came in now, he would have this seasons January transfer window and the rest of this season to embed his philosophies.

He sort of gets a head start if you know what I mean.

Sigh... seriously can't be ****ed with this season... Just disappointing as hell
"Disappointing as hell". I would of thought being a Liverpool fan you would be used to this by now.
MHenton11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think Brendan is running on borrowed time from last seasons success. It seems that almost everyone but Liverpool fans and the club could see that the 'success' they got last season was a mix of Suarez playing his best football and a whole host of changes amongst the other top teams (Moyes at United, Mourinho getting to grips with Chelsea again, Spurs in a mess again).

Last season a whole host of people were citing BR as a tactical genius but to me at least it was clear that he didn't have to have great tactics but instead just tell Suarez to go out and do his thing and the rest would be taken care of.

Although I think his final undoing will come from his recent buys and the money he has invested in very standard or poor players. Balotelli is a woeful player at the minute and delivers 14 bad games to his 1 great game, and other signings, especially the ones he has made to try and tighten their defence up, have simply been a failure as of yet.

As I think top 4 is out the question for them I think the only thing that can save him from getting the chop before the end of the season is a cup win / final or a run in the champions league but the way they are playing at the minute that looks almost impossible.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MHenton11)
I think Brendan is running on borrowed time from last seasons success. It seems that almost everyone but Liverpool fans and the club could see that the 'success' they got last season was a mix of Suarez playing his best football and a whole host of changes amongst the other top teams (Moyes at United, Mourinho getting to grips with Chelsea again, Spurs in a mess again).

Last season a whole host of people were citing BR as a tactical genius but to me at least it was clear that he didn't have to have great tactics but instead just tell Suarez to go out and do his thing and the rest would be taken care of.

Although I think his final undoing will come from his recent buys and the money he has invested in very standard or poor players. Balotelli is a woeful player at the minute and delivers 14 bad games to his 1 great game, and other signings, especially the ones he has made to try and tighten their defence up, have simply been a failure as of yet.

As I think top 4 is out the question for them I think the only thing that can save him from getting the chop before the end of the season is a cup win / final or a run in the champions league but the way they are playing at the minute that looks almost impossible.
You would of thought Suarez did that for Rodgers first season and Kenny's season but yet they still finished outside the top 4 :rolleyes:. You obvously ignore the fact that Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge all contributed massively too, last time I checked Sturridge was the second top goal scorer in the PL and Liverpool have been missing him badly so far this season, not just Suarez. Why don't you wait until Sturridge is back and see how Liverpool do then, if they still do **** then fine, but it's still early to write them off.
PillsIV
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Disappointing as hell". I would of thought being a Liverpool fan you would be used to this by now.
As of late? Yeah I have been. But last season had renued my optimism...
MHenton11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
You would of thought Suarez did that for Rodgers first season and Kenny's season but yet they still finished outside the top 4 :rolleyes:. You obvously ignore the fact that Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge all contributed massively too, last time I checked Sturridge was the second top goal scorer in the PL and Liverpool have been missing him badly so far this season, not just Suarez. Why don't you wait until Sturridge is back and see how Liverpool do then, if they still do **** then fine, but it's still early to write them off.
Agreed last season players like Sterling and Sturridge played very well however again I think a lot of this was down to Suarez allowing them to play that good by linking up the play and by letting the other players know he could finish any chance they made for him.
Even when Sturridge is back in the frame this season I can't see him helping Liverpool out the mess they're in at the minute and would be surprised to see him top 15 goals even if he stays injury free for the rest of the season.
Just my opinion but they're a million miles off top 4.
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agreed last season players like Sterling and Sturridge played very well however again I think a lot of this was down to Suarez allowing them to play that good by linking up the play and by letting the other players know he could finish any chance they made for him.
Even when Sturridge is back in the frame this season I can't see him helping Liverpool out the mess they're in at the minute and would be surprised to see him top 15 goals even if he stays injury free for the rest of the season.
One of the main reasons we are in the mess in the first place is because of the absence of Sturridge, Suarez of course being the main one but losing Sturridge and replacing him with Balotelli made things even worse, we are toothless in attack and goals are what gets you the 3 points, Sturridge was scoring goals even without Suarez. There are other problems of course but it's no use having a top defence if you can't score goals.

I agree Liverpool look a million miles off top 4 but so do United and Arsenal which is why it is still early, at this rate, West Ham and Southampton are finishing 3rd and 4th.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anybody who thinks Benitez was shrewd in the transfer market is so wrong.
Bubzeh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
Anybody who thinks Benitez was shrewd in the transfer market is so wrong.
No they're not. He built an amazing squad that evolved into the highest ranked side in Europe and challenged for the league along with creating some incredible nights that will never be reached for many many years. Liverpool 0-3 Madrid YNWA Brendan and John Henry.

Mascherano
Alonso
Kuyt
Lucas
Torres
Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Reina

Now, managers and Brendan alike get 10-20 million to spend on one signing just to add depth. Look at Markovic, Joe Allen, Henderson, Downing, Sakho, Lovren, Balotelli, Lallana...

Back in the Rafa days, a few million was set aside for squad players. And even them lot did a better job than them lot above will ever do.

Benayoun 4 million?
Riera 5 million?
Garcia 5 million?
Arbeloa 2 million?
Pennant 6 million?
Insua 2 million?
Crouch 6 million?
Bellamy 6 million?
Sissoko 5 million?

No point dragging the free transfers up tbh because Brendan would laugh in Henry's face if he was told he had no cash to spend. Rafa had to deal with N'Gog and Voronin as Torres' back up. Damien Plessis. Nabil El Zhar. Mark Gonzalez. Bolo Zenden and many more.

Oh and now at Napoli, just watch how much profit Callejon (7 mill), Mertens (8 mill), Jorginho (5 mill) and Kabouliy (2 mill) make.

What's good, FF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Liverpool fans attacking Benitez...

****ing hell the depths you've gone to Mackay
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by What's good, FF)
Liverpool fans attacking Benitez...

****ing hell the depths you've gone to Mackay
Not attacking him.

Just saying the idea that he was a great transfer dealer is wrong. He's the best tactician who has ever managed us, but we've had manager after manager who lets us down in the transfer market.
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bubzeh)
xx
Rafa "had to deal with" N'Gog and Voronin because he pissed £30m up the wall on Robbie Keane and Ryan Babel. And the idea that he had no money during his time there is ridiculous. Fair enough in his last season it was tight, but before that he was well backed, comparably to Rodgers now considering the transfer inflation we've seen since 2010.

He did a fantastic job but his transfer record was patchy at best. For every Garcia and Alonso there was a Morientes and Dossena.

-Totally missed your post where you counter all these points haha. Feel free to ignore.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Rodgers only nearly won the league because of Suarez didn't Rafa only nearly win the league because of Torres?
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sturridge has the 7th best goal to game ratio in the history of the premier league, this includes the days where he was playing right wing at Chelsea.

Take it this way Chelsea's 11/12 team Sturridge was their top goalscorer in the league with 11 goals despite playing with crap like Kalou, Malouda, a past it Torres next to him. People underestimate the contribution of Daniel Sturridge. Sturridge was essentially the reason why Liverpool went from struggling to get 8th place to a title challenge in 2 seasons. Suarez doing amazing was what kept Liverpool afloat but Sturridge was the guy who put them to another level when he played in tandem with Suarez.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
1 point from 4 games now, and 4 consecutive defeats for the first time since 2009. 4 points off relegation and questionable team selections.

Rodgers should be under serious pressure now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads