Christian Couple Burned Alive in Pakistan Watch

Graceful_Lawyer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)
This thread is a rather apt example of why unthinking and blind patriotism is strongly correlated with idiocy.
Are we supporting what happened with the Christian couple? No, we're not. Its sad and shouldn't have happened.
Achaea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Graceful_Lawyer)
Are we supporting what happened with the Christian couple? No, we're not. Its sad and shouldn't have happened.
And yet you and Badshah thought it was appropriate to derail the thread entirely with pages of chat about how wonderful Pakistan is and with yet more of the whiny victimhood so often seen in Muslims - that even when some Muslims are the perpetrators of a hideously inhumane act (the one that's the topic of this thread, if you hadn't noticed), the cry has to go up 'but Muslims are sooooo oppressed'.

And to write about 1947 as though all the atrocities were on one side, against Muslims, is stupid.
Dima-Blackburn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
Please don't misunderstand me, I don't wish India to try to annex Pakistan or something . It's spoiled now and will forever be so.

I mean, the grounds for its existence were on religious lines, which were manufactured and false. I find it a tragedy that India was split, and will be split forever. In the years of co-habitance, it's clear that one nation has achieved nothing and never will achieve anything. We have one half of Punjab that's gone to the dogs and one that is prospering, it shouldn't be like that. We shouldn't be having a continual conflict of a region, we shouldn't be suffering from state engineered terrorism. The experiment of two nations has been a thorough failure for all but one, but that still makes it a failure.

Do you believe it was right to split the subcontinent?
Hmm...good point. I hadn't considered that....
nimrodstower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Considering most people in the world have some kind of religious faith, it is a bit like calling the kettle black. This is the kind of thing that religion does, so why the surprise?
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know but what I'm saying is that when Badshah said that the OP wouldn't have created a thread on this if this didn't happen in Pakistan, and you said because such acts is likely to happen in countries like Pakistan. My point was that the OP is singling out Pakistan and would ignore if something like this happened somewhere else (which it does) and I gave in example of what happened in Germany to show that it happens in other countries too, but we never hear others , especially Islam haters, like the OP talking on cases like one in Germany. To me, the OP has made this thread only to make Pakistan look bad but if this happened in other country, the OP wouldn't have.

Sorry if this is confusing. Maybe I couldn't put it right.
DW, you phrased it wrong but I get what you meant
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Pakistan is in a political turmoil but this doesn't stop us loving our Pakistan. If you think Pakistan has been a failure, think twice. Do you know Dr Abdus Salam? Do you know Malala Yousafzai? Do you know Atif Mian? The International Monetary Fund (IMF) named Mian as one of 25 young economists who are expected to be most influential in the decades to come. Pakistan has given us identity. Pakistan means a lot to us Pakistanis, just like India for you. And even if in your opinion Pakistan has been a failure, why are bothered? Why do you care? You don't have to say sorry, for you Pakistan might be a failure. But for me, Pakistan is life, my identity and my home.

There's a Pakistani song 'Mauj chalay ya aandhi ayi, diya na bhujnay dena hia, ghar ki khatir so dukh jhalay, ghar tou akhir apna hai'.

We love Pakistan and our love for Pakistan is unconditional. Brother, I would suggest you to stop criticising Pakistan. Just be friends. There's nothing we can get by hating on each other, other than what happened in 1947.
Political turmoil? Your country hasn't let a single democratically elected government complete it's term. That's a huge fail. Both India and bangaldesh are light years ahead, all with the same time. Sorry but these are very minor accomplishments and reflect nothing upon the nation, at all. Malala is famous for getting shot in the head (don't need to remind you most Pakistanis think she's a sellout to westerners) and India has produced nobel winning economists harvard economics professors etc. A real accomplishment for example is the space programme or the Mars orbiter. In comparison, Pakistan greatest achievement has been creating nuclear weapons, and again, this is only to spite India. Your ordinary Pakistani does benefit at all.

Why am I bothered? Because Pakistan is a terrorist hotspot, and your two neighbouring countries are paying a very heavy price for it. Do you know why Pakistan is a terrorist hotspot? Because the ISI use terrorists as proxy fighters so they don't get their hands dirty. Now that they can't control these terrorists, they are bombing India and Afghanistan. Not only this, I still feel like everyone in the subcontinent is Indian (60 years doesn't create a real identity) and I don't like to see them suffer.

You're just blocking your ears because you don't want to reply to anything I said. I never bring up 1947 because everyone suffered and i acknowledge no one group is to blame. As I said the biggest problem Pakistanis suffer from, is denial. They will never admit their faults.

Edit: I'll stop criticising Pakistan when it stops collectively murdering minority communities and ****ting on India.
Posted from TSR Mobile
ClickItBack
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's not my point. My point is that there are idiots like Badshah who stick their head in the sand and refuse to countenance the idea that there could possibly be any problems with their beloved nation. Even worse, he dislikes an entire population based on events that occurred nearly 70 years ago - for which the current generation are not at all responsible (not to mention the fact that both sides were complicit in wrongdoings and the ultimate perpetrator of the split was actually a third party).

In fact, not only is Badshah an idiot, he is a dangerous idiot. Deep and ignorant resentment of the sort he harbours is exactly the sort of kernel that germinates into terrible deeds justified by blind patriotism.

By all means, be proud of your country and your identity, and defend it from attacks like the guy below - but if you can't also look at your nation at least somewhat objectively and acknowledge its shortcomings, you're simply brainwashed.

(Original post by Ggmu!)
Political turmoil? Your country hasn't let a single democratically elected government complete it's term. That's a huge fail. Both India and bangaldesh are light years ahead, all with the same time. Sorry but these are very minor accomplishments and reflect nothing upon the nation, at all. Malala is famous for getting shot in the head (don't need to remind you most Pakistanis think she's a sellout to westerners) and India has produced nobel winning economists harvard economics professors etc. A real accomplishment for example is the space programme or the Mars orbiter. In comparison, Pakistan greatest achievement has been creating nuclear weapons, and again, this is only to spite India. Your ordinary Pakistani does benefit at all.

Why am I bothered? Because Pakistan is a terrorist hotspot, and your two neighbouring countries are paying a very heavy price for it. Do you know why Pakistan is a terrorist hotspot? Because the ISI use terrorists as proxy fighters so they don't get their hands dirty. Now that they can't control these terrorists, they are bombing India and Afghanistan. Not only this, I still feel like everyone in the subcontinent is Indian (60 years doesn't create a real identity) and I don't like to see them suffer.

You're just blocking your ears because you don't want to reply to anything I said. I never bring up 1947 because everyone suffered and i acknowledge no one group is to blame. As I said the biggest problem Pakistanis suffer from, is denial. They will never admit their faults.

Edit: I'll stop criticising Pakistan when it stops collectively murdering minority communities and ****ting on India.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you have to take such an aggressive, belittling approach to someone else's country when discussing their problems? In 1953, South Korea and India had the same GDP per capita. Now, South Korea is more than 10x higher. In every respect, South Korea could point to India and dismiss it as a failed state in terms of poverty, in raising the living standards of its people, in its political establishment (a veneer of democracy exists, sure, but it overlays tremendous corruption). Even the space programme is open to the same rebuke you made - it does not benefit the ordinary Indian. Now if a South Korean was to come and tell you that your country was a totally failed state and worthless, I'm sure that would get you riled up as well.

It is valid to point out that Pakistan has an abysmal record when it comes to its minority populations, but isn't an excuse to denigrate the whole worth of the country, nor to subtly trumpet supposed Indian supremacy.
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)
That's not my point. My point is that there are idiots like Badshah who stick their head in the sand and refuse to countenance the idea that there could possibly be any problems with their beloved nation. Even worse, he dislikes an entire population based on events that occurred nearly 70 years ago - for which the current generation are not at all responsible (not to mention the fact that both sides were complicit in wrongdoings and the ultimate perpetrator of the split was actually a third party).

In fact, not only is Badshah an idiot, he is a dangerous idiot. Deep and ignorant resentment of the sort he harbours is exactly the sort of kernel that germinates into terrible deeds justified by blind patriotism.

By all means, be proud of your country and your identity, and defend it from attacks like the guy below - but if you can't also look at your nation at least somewhat objectively and acknowledge its shortcomings, you're simply brainwashed.
I have always condemned these kind of things and I realise that Pakistan has a lot of problems. I've never denied that. It's just that I know the OP would have never made this thread if this had happened elsewhere. He made this thread to put down Pakistan and not because he was concerned about the Christian couple.
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All Christians should be allowed to create their own country within Pakistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Catholic_)
All Christians should be allowed to create their own country within Pakistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be stupid, Christians are not the only ones suffering in Pakistan. It's just that people care even less about Hindus, Sikhs and Ahmaddiyas so it's less reported.

All minorities are suffering, don't pick over the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.23%
No - but I will (80)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (497)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise