This discussion is closed.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)

What reform demands?
Unless the TSR Government isn't affected by the current government's actions, then I'm talking about EU Immigration reforms proposed by the UK, which include less benefits paid to immigrants, less time on work visas etc. Link here
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
We do have a Head of State. The British Republic will elect a President although they won't be in game in the same way as the Monarch was never in game.
So there won't be elections held on TSR, to clarify?
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by McRite)
Unless the TSR Government isn't affected by the current government's actions, then I'm talking about EU Immigration reforms proposed by the UK, which include less benefits paid to immigrants, less time on work visas etc. Link here
So they're not our reform demands. I can understand the desire to clamp down on benefit tourism but we can do that whilst maintaining Freedom of Movement as is (see recent case involving Germany). Deportation is unacceptable however and I do not support anything of the sort, a "pay in to get pay-outs" policy is fine, but anything that goes against the half-century-old policy of free movement is not.

It is essential we stay in the EU.

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
So there won't be elections held on TSR, to clarify?
Not unless we can get sufficient agreement to pass a different amendment.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
As devolution minister, I support the principle of devolving corporation tax to NI. I think it should also be extended to Scotland and Wales. What was The Irish News' reasons for suggesting the figure of £1bn?
The Republic's corporation tax is at 12.5% and their Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Mr Richard Burton, has insisted that they will still compete against N.I.
This has lead to analysts to predicted that if N.I. set a 10% rate to undercut R.O.I. it could cost up to £1bn - 10% of the N.I's total budget. This money then would lead to slashed budgets for schools, hospitals and roads, when already Stormont are in the red.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Right, I missed these, apologies.

(Original post by Green_Pink)
Oversensitivity? I think I'm being somewhat less sensitive than the people who demand mothers don't feed their babies in public because they can't deal with a bit of breast potentially being exposed.

There's fairly obvious reasons as to why it might not be acceptable to pee in the middle of a restaurant...
Instead of twisting my words, you should focus on constructing acceptable arguments. I wasn't talking about ‘peeing in the middle of a restaurant’ – more like peeing in the middle of a park. Or defecating, if one deems that comfortable and subsequently removes the feces. :dontknow: Or perhaps having sex in public, which is again ‘perfectly natural’.

There are no practical differences to breastfeeding which is currently customarily required to be performed in private. The mere fact that this society considers it a tabu is a good enough reason for accepting it and not attempting to press significant cultural changes via legislation.

Where is your utmost liberal respect for individuals and minorities? Is it really such a difficulty to do that either at home, from a bottle, on toilets, etc.?

(Original post by Kittiara)
As Green_Pink said, I don't think it's us being oversensitive. We don't object to seeing a woman breastfeeding a baby. Nor do I think it's naive or idealistic to believe that such a natural thing should be allowed to take place in public. If a baby's hungry, he/she is hungry :dontknow:.

And, I've seen men urinate before. Obviously, in the middle of a restaurant is not the right place for that, for all sorts of reasons, but I've been in unisex public toilets, and I can assure you that no sexual thoughts popped into my mind whilst walking past men's penises. Nor did I demand that they tucked them away.
Alright, if I need to pee, I have to pee… on the street in front of your house, just like dogs. If I need to relieve sexual pressure, a lady can give me a quick blow job on public transport… right next to other people. If I need to fart or burp, I can do that right in the elevator with you (it's still 25 floors to go, mind you). I could continue by listing other tabus.

Of course not, because there were in a place specifically reserved for that activity.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)

Alright, if I need to pee, I have to pee… on the street in front of your house, just like dogs. If I need to relieve sexual pressure, a lady can give me a quick blow job on public transport… right next to other people. If I need to fart or burp, I can do that right in the elevator with you (it's still 25 floors to go, mind you). I could continue by listing other tabus.

Of course not, because there were in a place specifically reserved for that activity.
There is a difference between you needing to relieve sexual pressure and you needing to pee, and another (smaller) difference between you needing to pee and you needing to fart or burp. The relief of sexual pressure is one that can be controlled, unless, perhaps, one has some very serious psychological issues. A person needing to urinate can, usually, hold it in until finding a suitable spot. One may be able to suppress a fart or burp, but often not for long and sometimes they just slip out.

A baby has no control. That's why we put them in diapers. They urinate and defecate whenever the urge arises. A baby does not know about taboos, and therefore taboos do not apply to them. A baby breastfeeding is, quite simply, a baby who's eating (or drinking, I suppose). This is another basic need - if a baby is hungry he or she will indicate this and he/she is incapable of understanding that the time and place he/she needs to be fed is one that some people might feel is inappropriate. Why a restaurant is such a place is somewhat puzzling, as it is, after all, a place where people eat and drink.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is a difference between you needing to relieve sexual pressure and you needing to pee, and another (smaller) difference between you needing to pee and you needing to fart or burp. The relief of sexual pressure is one that can be controlled, unless, perhaps, one has some very serious psychological issues. A person needing to urinate can, usually, hold it in until finding a suitable spot. One may be able to suppress a fart or burp, but often not for long and sometimes they just slip out.

A baby has no control. That's why we put them in diapers. They urinate and defecate whenever the urge arises. A baby does not know about taboos, and therefore taboos do not apply to them. A baby breastfeeding is, quite simply, a baby who's eating (or drinking, I suppose). This is another basic need - if a baby is hungry he or she will indicate this and he/she is incapable of understanding that the time and place he/she needs to be fed is one that some people might feel is inappropriate. Why a restaurant is such a place is somewhat puzzling, as it is, after all, a place where people eat and drink.
That's cute, but… wait for it… the woman can control her movement and therefore stand up and take her child to feed it elsewhere. Just like I take my willy to the loo. I rest my case. :cool:

In case you don't understand the parallel, the message is: If a large amount of people consider something to be disgusting, don't do it in public. Simples.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's cute, but… wait for it… the woman can control her movement and therefore stand up and take her child to feed it elsewhere. Just like I take my willy to the loo. I rest my case. :cool:

In case you don't understand the parallel, the message is: If a large amount of people consider something to be disgusting, don't do it in public. Simples.
I'm still surprised that we see some people who think having a wee in a restaurant is the same as breast feeding.

Lets get this straight - they are both very different things.

Breast feeding is fairly discrete. It looked more noticeable when the lady was forced to hide under a cloth.

Clearly having a wee is different - it is insane to say that pissing all over a restaurant is comparable to feeding a baby.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Quite naturally, I expected that objection from you . She can do so if she chooses, but the needs of her baby must come first. If the baby needs to be fed, it is unreasonable to expect a mother to wander around with him/her until she finds a place out of sight of others, where she and the baby may not be comfortable. Furthermore, feeding her baby where she is is actually likely to cause less of a disturbance to others than her looking for a different place to do so. Many people would not even notice a mother feeding her baby - it tends to be quite discrete. Even if they do, they're unlikely to see anything, let alone anything upsetting. A crying baby, on the other hand, will draw the attention of everyone around, and is rather unpleasant to listen to. That unpleasantness is for a reason - it's hardwired into (most) people to respond and cater to the baby's needs, which is aimed at ensuring the baby's survival. Simply going ahead and feeding the baby, then, is the most sensible solution for everyone involved. Fortunately, the law appears to agree, as mothers have the right to do just that.

Spoiler:
Show
Willy? Really? :laugh:
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Quite naturally, I expected that objection from you . She can do so if she chooses, but the needs of her baby must come first. If the baby needs to be fed, it is unreasonable to expect a mother to wander around with him/her until she finds a place out of sight of others, where she and the baby may not be comfortable. Furthermore, feeding her baby where she is is actually likely to cause less of a disturbance to others than her looking for a different place to do so. Many people would not even notice a mother feeding her baby - it tends to be quite discrete. Even if they do, they're unlikely to see anything, let alone anything upsetting. A crying baby, on the other hand, will draw the attention of everyone around, and is rather unpleasant to listen to. That unpleasantness is for a reason - it's hardwired into (most) people to respond and cater to the baby's needs, which is aimed at ensuring the baby's survival. Simply going ahead and feeding the baby, then, is the most sensible solution for everyone involved. Fortunately, the law appears to agree, as mothers have the right to do just that.

Spoiler:
Show
Willy? Really? :laugh:
The thing that strikes me the most is that this is coming from – and I don't mean this as an insult – a British woman (you are, right?). I say that because the general reputation of British women is that they don't do overprotective parenting, and some even say that they prefer horses and dogs and just pop the little ones to boarding schools. I realise that the latter is a bit exaggerated.

It's clearly a matter of personal preference. You seem to consider breastfeeding a basic human right whereas I am trying to balance individual rights to achieve a compromise. If you really are as tolerant as you proclaim to be, the same should be your objective as well.

Finally some quick reactions:

a) She doesn't have to look for long – every restaurant has got female toilets.

b) The disturbance bit is pure speculation. The amount of disturbance is unpredictable.

c) What would a women with an infant do in a restaurant in the first place? I mean a real solid restaurant where children are unwelcome. I don't care what happens in McDonalds.
cupcakes87
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
Forgive my ignorance but what are the powers of this government on this site??
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Wow. Even my eleven year old brother has figured out that breastfeeding and taking a leak are two different things. I perfectly understand some people find it uncomfortable to watch, but....wait for it.... You don't have to watch.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cupcakes87)
We don't have any.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,

It's part of the wider Model House of Commons we run here - it's basically a forum where people can join parties, create and debate Bills, take part in elections and that kind of thing Unfortunately our empire of evil has no powers over TSR
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing that strikes me the most is that this is coming from – and I don't mean this as an insult – a British woman (you are, right?). I say that because the general reputation of British women is that they don't do overprotective parenting, and some even say that they prefer horses and dogs and just pop the little ones to boarding schools. I realise that the latter is a bit exaggerated, but you appear to be a heck of an overprotective to-be-mother, unfortunately… for your to-be-child.

It's clearly a matter of personal preference. You seem to consider breastfeeding a basic human right whereas I am trying to balance individual rights to achieve a compromise. If you really are as tolerant as you proclaim to be, the same should be your objective as well.

Finally some quick reactions:

a) She doesn't have to look for long – every restaurant has got female toilets.

b) The disturbance bit is pure speculation. The amount of disturbance is unpredictable.

c) What would a women with an infant do in a restaurant in the first place? I mean a real solid restaurant where children are unwelcome. I don't care what happens in McDonalds.

a) Feeding a baby in a public toilet is not hygienic.
b) I can assure that it is very difficult to not notice a crying baby, whilst breastfeeding is quite discrete.
c) Why shouldn't she? She's perfectly entitled to.

I will withdraw from the debate after this, as it would appear that your debating style relies on getting personal.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a) Feeding a baby in a public toilet is not hygienic.
b) I can assure that it is very difficult to not notice a crying baby, whilst breastfeeding is quite discrete.
c) Why shouldn't she? She's perfectly entitled to.

I will withdraw from the debate after this, as it would appear that your debating style relies on getting personal.
On the other hand, your debating relies on persistently stating the same subjective ‘truth’, fabricated ‘evidence’, refusing to agree upon mutually acceptable middle ground, and hypocrisy, so I don't have any objections to your retreat.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On the other hand, your debating relies on persistently stating the same subjective ‘truth’, fabricated ‘evidence’, refusing to agree upon mutually acceptable middle ground, and hypocrisy, so I don't have any objections to your retreat.
If you won't take it from her, take it from a stereotypical northerner - no one really cares if you breastfeed up here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Here you may question the TSR Government and individual ministers on matters of governance.

As of November 2014, the cabinet is as follows:

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service
The Rt Hon. Superunknown17 MP (GRN)

Deputy Prime Minister, Lord President of the Council, Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal, First Secretary of State, Leader of the House of Commons
The Rt Hon. RayApparently MP (LAB)

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
The Rt Hon. St. Brynjar MP (GRN)

Chancellor of the Exchequer
The Rt Hon. MacDaddi MP (LIB)

Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain and Secretary of State for Justice
The Rt Hon. The Legal Eagle MP (LAB)

Secretary of State for the Home Department and Paymaster-General
The Rt Hon. InnerTemple MP (LAB)

Secretary of State for Devolution
The Rt Hon. Blue Meltwater MP (GRN)

Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
The Rt Hon. Green_Pink MP (LIB)

Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
The Rt Hon. Jean-Luc Picard MP (GRN)

Secretary of State for Defence
The Rt Hon. RotatingPhasor MP (LAB)

Secretary of State for Energy, Environment, Food, Rural Affairs and Climate Change
The Rt Hon. Chlorophile MP (GRN)

Secretary of State for Education and Higher Education
The Rt Hon. clh_hilary MP (GRN)

Secretary of State for Health
The Rt Hon. O133 MP (LAB)

Secretary of State for International Trade and Development
The Rt Hon. toronto353 MP (LIB)

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
The Rt Hon. Kittiara MP (GRN)

Secretary of State for Constitutional Reform
The Rt Hon. GoldenEmblem277 MP (LIB)
how did a green party member become PM?:confused:
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They can deport anyone

Maybe it is just me but I'll never understand those who compare breastfeeding to other acts.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads