Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    So why the need for a subsidy? It's like giving contract holders free tax money.
    Well, they don't need it, but I suppose you could say that the subsidies are going into the network since if without the subsidies they weren't turning a profit they would just invest less in the network, or find some other way to increase profits.

Also, you know that several of the contract companies were German. They were also skimping the profits and reinvesting them into German rail infrastructure?
    Well, upon being challenged on this you were able to name one, not some. Building the rolling stock is far from the same as "owning" the line

Relating the two points together, we were possibly paying for another country's rail network.
    And then when you take your list I'm not quite sure how that works. You give Siemens and Hitachi, for both the closest you get to improving a rail network is building of rolling stock. I guess it's also true that whenever we buy turbines or tranformers from Siemens we're directly funding improvements in the German power infrastructure, or their hospitals when we buy their SPECT/CT Scanners?

I still stand by my experiances of uk rail being dirty, expensive and overcrowded.
    And my experiences are largely to the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    No we don't
    Care to show some research or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Care to show some research or?
    Care to back your original claim up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Care to back your original claim up.
    I was asking a question because there were news reports a year or two ago that said Britain had the most expensive train tickets in Europe. That could have changed

ReputationRep:
    I was asking a question because there were news reports a year or two ago that said Britain had the most expensive train tickets in Europe. That could have changed
    In wary of certain types if news reports on ticket prices unless they come from reputable sources.

I don't doubt that some tickets are expensive in certain areas, but we lack a modern rail infrastructure that many European states have.

That's why I get uoset when people complain about the cost of travel and then complain about money spent on hs2.

Increasing the prices on certain lines is a very good way of keeping numbers down on a line running at near maximum capacity.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a fair comparison. Firstly, the big differences between us and the continent are mainly in peak tickets. Secondly, if you buy at a station rather than online then your getting an open ticket rather than one for a particular train. This is not the case in many European states. Finally, the French and Germans fund their railways almost exclusively through taxation while in the UK we don't to the same degree.

If you buy off-peak and online then UK rail travel is pretty cheap. We also currently have the highest investment in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, they don't need it, but I suppose you could say that the subsidies are going into the network since if without the subsidies they weren't turning a profit they would just invest less in the network, or find some other way to increase profits.

Well, upon being challenged on this you were able to name one, not some. Building the rolling stock is far from the same as "owning" the line

And then when you take your list I'm not quite sure how that works. You give Siemens and Hitachi, for both the closest you get to improving a rail network is building of rolling stock. I guess it's also true that whenever we buy turbines or tranformers from Siemens we're directly funding improvements in the German power infrastructure, or their hospitals when we buy their SPECT/CT Scanners?

And my experiences are largely to the contrary.
    Actually I didn't mention any companies since I hadn't replied yet.

It was state owned Deutsche Bahn that was operating a franchise in the UK and profits from it and hence subsidies were going to subsidising rail faires and infrastructure in their own country. Money was not being reinvested.

The dutch government is the owner of the company that runs the Scotrail franchise, so there is more potential for that to occur there. Where do their intrests actually lie?

Rolling stock is different, I've not mentioned it but since you have contracts to build rolling stock should not be given out to foreign companies. Althought EU law requires this you can bet the likes of France and Germany make sure only internal companies, or at least ones with production facilities in their country get contracts to build their rolling stock. This way, money doesn't leave the country, you create jobs, keep people employed and then they spend their money which you partly recoup as VAT and other taxes.

This is why Bombardier should have gotten the contract to build our rolling stock.

Also the East Coast mainline is running in profit under the gov since 2009, where two other franchises had gone into administration.

You should try commuting from Leeds, you'll be lucky to get a place on the train you want.

ReputationRep:
    rail increases are a joke, I'd happily pay a decent price if there was even good service but I'm delayed at least 50% of the time! I get trains which are ALWAYS packed to bursting and I've seen people physically not able to get on but no extra carriages are ever added to them.

I pay more for a train ticket to my parents house than it would cost my mum to drive a return journey, it takes twice as long once you factor in the almost inevitable delays and doesn't even take me door to door

unfortunately 'voting with my feet' isn't exactly an option as I cannot afford to learn to drive on my wages and I can't exactly say 'oh the rail fares are too expensive guess I'll never leave my small town or see my family again' telling people to vote with their feet is a joke, what are they meant to tell their boss 'sorry I can't come in today I'm protesting rail fare'?

ReputationRep:
    Comparative to what? Doesn't the Uk have the most expensive rail fares in Europe? I guess you've been lucky or you don't travel far each day because they are anything but reliable from Stirling to queen street.

And no I didn't even know there was a club haha I find myself driving more and more instead.
    I haven't found Belgian or German fares cheaper tbh. I was comparing against other providrs in the UK. Although other providers do tend to have better deals for booking in advance.

Well mine is a 25min journey, a bit less than yours, out of Glasgow Central.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.