Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why did the Paris attacks get more coverage than the Peshawar school massacre? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Read what I said, I specifically mentioned that i'm not trying to compare numbers.

As for freedom of expression, why is it that Islamic girls are banned from wearing the hijab in public schools?
    I don't know, but I don't agree with it. It is a form of limiting freedom of expression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:

Because one happened in an Islamic country, so there was less of an opportunity to bash Islam. One happened in a Western Country so there is more of a chance to bash Islam. SIMPLE

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that it's because the news shows us thing's we can relate to more than the objective 'news', (As well as scare mongering).

So a majority white successful France is easier for a majority white and successful Britain to empathise with.

Whereas 'brown' people that are muslim and scary (lol) and live in a more unsuccessful capitalist country, aren't relatable and so aren't worth as much air time to news programs.

ReputationRep:
    Paris is the capital of a neighbouring country. We care about things that are closer to us either geographically or culturally (I.e. In the US). Also as bad as it sounds we've gotten used to the idea that terrorism is alive and well and happening regularly in that part of the world. Heartless? Maybe, but it just isn't as shocking to is as we are so used to the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    What a ridiculous argument that because the peshawar attack did not happen in the western world it does not affect the UK as much. Terrorism is a global threat at all times, it makes no difference where it happens.

Also why were there not at least vigils in the major cities of european countries? Whereas if it happens to France, everyone mourns.
    France and the UK are both western countries with a similar culture. Plus terrorist groups such as ISIS have been vocal in their desire to attack the West. It could have easily of happened in London so of course the attack in France is going to receive more attention. Pakistan is a corrupt part of the world and atrocities are more likely to happen.

I'm not saying that people didn't care about what happened in Peshawar btw, when I heard about it, I was really shocked when I heard about it on the news. But I just think because France is a peaceful country and our neighbour so people are more shocked by it and it raises the security alert here because of easy access to France (via the Eurostar or ferry).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:
    is was all over british news coverage weeks ago when it hppend.
    1. i think the outrage at the paris attackers relates to islamist scum bags and applies in equal measure to boko haram, al shabab, taliban and all the others. the problem is not racially focussed, the common factor is the ideology driving all these incidents

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I understand what the problem is here. Surely, this is what the Islamotrolls on TSR want? They want maximum coverage of brave Muslim freedom fighters striking back against the evil, Zionist West - and absolute minimising of the continuing wholesale slaughter of other Muslims?

What do you actually want here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)

I'ts exacly like the whole world is talking about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict when non of the Europien countries have ever been boomed.
    The world chooses it battles, in my opinion its choices are not good.
    When theres a terrorist attack in France, England or the USA everyone talks about it and says its wrong but when Israel is being boomed by a terror organization no one cares.
    Nevertheless, people says it's the Israelis fault!
    I've stopped trying to understand this world a long time ago, what we need now is enough people to understand that and to make a change.
    When people will start thinking abot other people and not only about themselves, this world will be better.

ReputationRep:
    Because life is cheap out there. Massacres of civilians happen every day, this one only got in the news because it was children, if it had been in a market it would have been a footnote.

Combine with that the fact that no western journalist wants to go there to report on it means less coverage naturally.

Also, we live in Europe, we will be more interested in things that happen in countries which share our culture.

I understand what you are trying to infer, but unfortunately there is little to no basis to it.

ReputationRep:
    That's what the west wants. Islam looking bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghazhal)
    That's what the west wants. Islam looking bad.
    Why is that? How does it help anyone?

ReputationRep:
    As if 'Islam' didn't do enough already, hey? Al-Jaz aren't Western and every day there is a roundup of killings in Nigeria (latest allegedly a suicide act by a child, apparently an emerging trend), Somalia, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Lybia and occasionally elsewhere) and can we leave 'Islam' out of it or spot any of its alleged 'loving and peaceful' attributes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhog)
    As if 'Islam' didn't do enough already, hey? Al-Jaz aren't Western and every day there is a roundup of killings in Nigeria (latest allegedly a suicide act by a child, apparently an emerging trend), Somalia, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Lybia and occasionally elsewhere) and can we leave 'Islam' out of it or spot any of its alleged 'loving and peaceful' attributes?
    C'mon, head hacking, suicide bombings and female genital mutilation are not expressions of love? Surely you jest. Boko Haram, ISIL, and the Taliban are benevolent organizations dedicated to the peaceful spread of Islamic love the world over. They only want what is good for us, and will teach it to us in their own special way. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Illuminati

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    If you kill 17 people at a wedding but use precision firing drones it is acceptable. Invading sovereign lands is acceptable in this fashion

Apparently , when such attacks then arrive at home in a retaliatory way , they are totally not linked. You can be murderous in a uniform because state sponsored terrorism is actually acceptable (as long as it's a western country of course).

This Charlie Hebdo stuff is pretty bad but it's being dished out daily across the world too. ISIS didn't magically appear. It's a dirty game and the people who pay are ordinary civilians

ReputationRep:
    The Western media are hypocritical in their news coverage with the media circus over the Paris killings being testament to that however I strongly condemn the publishing of those cartoons because they perpetuate the stereotype of Arabs and Muslims as barbaric, bloodthirsty and stuck in the past thus we become desensitised to killings of Muslims/Arabs in Palestine, invasions of Iraq, illegal drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen.

The cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo weren't heroes - freedom of expression to insult and perpetuate stereotypes that do harm is nothing to be feted for - the journalists killed by the IDF which had little news coverage were heroes. The protests and vigils only serve to catalyse this polarisation thus je ne suis pas Charlie Hebdo

ReputationRep:
    To bring fear into the sheeples minds, so that they will gladly surrender more of their liberty. We have seen it happen all the time.

If your confused, please watch The Shock Doctrine to get basic understanding
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpA46YS7P0

For those who get their news from alternative news source like RT/ Benn Swann, Corbett report, Infowars, this isnt a surprise. I can only speak from watching Corbett Report and Inforwars and for months they have said the stage has been set for an false falg attack in Europe. I've not really had a chance to look into this in great detail so Im no expert. But the entire thing sounds like something that we have seen before before the government security agency announced policies which strips away another part of freedom. A policy which was drafted before the event occurred. I don't know if that is a false flag or its simply an example of the famous American politician, Rahm Israel Emanuel quote shown below

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWmdalSwoSk

I dont know what it is, but I am waiting for what policy is going to be introduced because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Horrible stuff happens like that in Pakistan all the time, it's just part of a messed up region. We hear about it every day and something happening in France is much rarer - also many people in the UK will be much more familiar with Paris/Parisiens than Pakistan.
    What you're trying to say is that so many children getting murdered in Pakistan is normal because people aren't "familiar" with Pakistanis? Humans are humans no matter what! everyone's death matters. Your thoughts on this matter are extremely inconsiderate and have a hint of partiality. Heartless people like you make me lose faith in humanity.

ReputationRep:
    It is only because of the symbol that Charlie Hedbo was. I don't say I like what they were doing but it is the freedom of speech that was touch. Most of french peope were against Charlie Hedbo. And I know you can't compare it in number of death but people do compare the attack of the 9/11 with it because of its symbolization. It wasn't an attack to the journal but to the democracy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.