Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    If you only just got a confirmation from UoL I'd be worried, because they held their assessment days three weeks ago.
    TBH I put them on the form by mistake, so am not fussed (did actually get the right ones for the others!). Just hoped the info was useful for anyone else, since it would mean ALL their apps went through.

ReputationRep:
    Well, not sure how crazy this is, but I too got a confirmation of my application this morning from UoL. Which seems utterly bonkers given that I went to one of their assessment days (three weeks ago).

ReputationRep:
    Oh now you're making me nervous. Assessment day? UoL have sent me nothing, BPP is the only one that has got in touch with me. Today is a day of clock watching!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bananas! Oh well, GL everyone! Never thought the web app would be hard bit :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eve McC)
    Oh now you're making me nervous. Assessment day? UoL have sent me nothing, BPP is the only one that has got in touch with me. Today is a day of clock watching!
    I don't know whether it was just a UoL Bloomsbury thing, but they are filtering applicants based on attendance at an assessment day. If you applied to UoL and didn't get an invite to an assessment day, then it seems unlikely to me that you'll get an offer from them.

The point of the assessment days is that they want to take on the "high quality" mantle that Kaplan claimed for its BPTC (before it shut the course down!?).

ReputationRep:
    I just received an offer from BPP - I thought the offer day was Monday (16th March)!?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=typonaut;54271433]I just received an offer from BPP - I thought the offer day was Monday (16th March)!?

Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eve McC)
    Congratulations!!
    Oh, I don't think there's any achievement in that, all they want is our money, don't they? But thanks anyway.

Checked my application at BarSAS, have offers from UoL and City too (received an email from UoL, but not from City yet). Quell surprise! ;/

Also checked the timetable:

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk..._2014_15..docx

Says:

Offers start to be released for first round applications. 16 March 2015
    So looks like the course providers should be penalised for false starts.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who heard from MMU?

ReputationRep:
    Hey did anyone apply in the clearing round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msahir)
    Hey did anyone apply in the clearing round?
    Technically, yes (my app didn't go through in the 1st round due to stupid BarSAS issues then a lack of clarity as to ref deadlines with the providers).

Got an offer by email from UoL last week so far (though interestingly it's not showing on BarSAS....)

ReputationRep:
    If you got it last week, doesn't it sort of mean it was assessed somewhere in between 1st and 2nd round since second round applications were only released to providers on April 15?

Also if you don't mind could you tell me a bit about your credentials? I'm really worried about my application. I have a 2.1 law degree from a russell group uni and am currently pursuing an LLM at another russell group, but I don't know if there are enough places left on the course

ReputationRep:
    If you got it last week, doesn't it sort of mean it was assessed somewhere in between 1st and 2nd round since second round applications were only released to providers on April 15?

Also if you don't mind could you tell me a bit about your credentials? I'm really worried about my application. I have a 2.1 law degree from a russell group uni and am currently pursuing an LLM at another russell group, but I don't know if there are enough places left on the course
    Possibly - as I mentioned, technically my app was never submitted in 1st round, but it was completed and on the system so maybe they somehow accessed it early, though this is just speculation and probably utter nonsense!

Academics-wise you should be more than fine. How are your extra curriculars/legal experience?

Me:
    3rd year LLB predicted 1st from a non-Russell Group London uni, lots of 'real-world' professional experience incl. senior executive roles, not that much legal work experience compared to most: 1 completed mini (at an MC set), 1 upcoming mini, 2 x marshalling, 1 internship at solicitors and a couple of other legally related roles in places with non-legal work. Plus some mooting and lots of public speaking.

ReputationRep:
    PS. The marshalling and upcoming mini were arranged after I submitted the app, so they're not actually on the form.

ReputationRep:
    Ive worked as a full time journalist for a national newspaper back home for a year (I took a gap year), I've been a columnist for years now contributing to newspapers, Ive volunteered for two human rights organisations back home. Legally, I don't have much just 1 mini-pupillage and a legal internship back home.

ReputationRep:
    I think I sort of messed up one question in the form, I don't know why I stupidly thought the system would close on 15th so I rushed and submitted the app. It was the one about outlining legal work!

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by public speaking? Debating etc?

ReputationRep:
    I think I sort of messed up one question in the form, I don't know why I stupidly thought the system would close on 15th so I rushed and submitted the app. It was the one about outlining legal work!
    Well there you go regarding your previous work as a journalist, etc - that's something they will definitely look at and is a big advantage. Re messing up a question, I wouldn't worry too much - don't forget that at the end of the day they're mostly after people's money!

No, debating and mooting are just that. By public speaking I meant being a speaker (keynote and panel) at conferences, doing guest lectures, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well yes I mentioned conferences and organising seminars in public speaking as well. I hope you're right ladylaw, I'm just dying to hear something soon!! The wait is killing me. Btw do you have inn membership already?

ReputationRep:
    I just received a conditional offer from the University of Law, as part of the condition I have to take a Skype assessment, has anyone done this before? It involves a written exercise, a plea in mitigation and an interview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.