Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Where did I say "all the time"? Don't use strawman arguments. I also didn't say everyone cares about everyone's opinions, as that would be logistically impossible.

I'm explaining why it is they feel as they do, it is not an opinion and there has been no ignoring, I have read everyone's posts with care, which it seems you haven't of mine. I make a very competent researcher because I am impartial and rational. If you don't wear make-up 90% of the time, then you either feel sufficiently attractive to not wear it but enjoy the added attractiveness in the 10% you do wear it, or you are unhappy about your appearance 90% of the time due to being unattractive relative to society.
    "only that there is an extent, always"

You pretty much implied it in the above statement. If you accept then that not everyone opinions matter all the time, why can't you accept this may be the case with regards to makeup? Your argument is therefore inconsistent.

Throughout your exchange with Dani_California you are disregarding how she tells you she feels. The fact you think you can 'explain how people feel' without knowing them, asking them or listening to them when they tell you again shows how ignorant you are. You are not impartial because you have also asserted how 'secure and confident you feel' to add credibility to your argument...it actually does the opposite and shows you have a bias e.g. "If I am a certain way, other people should also be that way". Based on what you have displayed here, you are not a competent debater as you lack basic consistency in your arguments.

If I were unhappy about my appearance 90% of the time, why would I not then wear makeup more? Why only minimally? It is illogical. It is also illogical to only wear makeup some off the time if I believe I'm sufficiently attractive. It would then indicate that my motivators for wearing makeup are based on other factors.

I'm intrigued as to why you can't accept that some people wear it for other reasons. I will add that I did used to wear makeup all the time - why? Because I enjoyed it and it was a way of expressing creativity, so much so that I used to apply it in the house even when I wasn't going out (much to the bemusement of my brothers). Experimenting with different colours, blending/shading, perfecting the technique...for me it was no different to art and my face was a canvas to work with. I was bored and had the time. Since then I've become less interested in being creative, hence I don't bother any more.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guys can we please keep it on topic and sensible, can we avoid arguing and derailing the thread, thanks

ReputationRep:
    They do it to catch the guys lol... Jk.

It goes more with self-esteem.

At the end pretty girls don't need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaq_widow)
    You pretty much implied it in the above statement. If you accept then that not everyone opinions matter all the time, why can't you accept this may be the case with regards to makeup? Your argument is therefore inconsistent.
    There is no inconsistency. It is impossible for everyone's opinions to matter all of the time. All that is required is for a sufficient amount of opinions to matter to a sufficient extent, and this is always the case, which is what you have quoted.

Throughout your exchange with Dani_California you are disregarding how she tells you she feels. The fact you think you can 'explain how people feel' without knowing them, asking them or listening to them when they tell you again shows how ignorant you are. You are not impartial because you have also asserted how 'secure and confident you feel' to add credibility to your argument...it actually does the opposite and shows you have a bias e.g. "If I am a certain way, other people should also be that way". Based on what you have displayed here, you are not a competent debater as you lack basic consistency in your arguments.
    I am explaining why she feels as she does, not disregarding those feelings. There is a reason behind everything, including feelings. You can only be impartial if you are secure and open, otherwise self-delusion causes biased reasoning. So far from being a hindrance to my analysis, it is the very crux of it.

If I were unhappy about my appearance 90% of the time, why would I not then wear makeup more? Why only minimally? It is illogical. It is also illogical to only wear makeup some off the time if I believe I'm sufficiently attractive. It would then indicate that my motivators for wearing makeup are based on other factors.
    You are not unhappy about your appearance 90% of the time - that was my point. Being sufficiently attractive does not mean you never want to be more attractive when the situation arises, e.g. a night out - in this situation the average level of attractiveness increases and thus you must increase yours to match it, otherwise, due to the relativity of attractiveness, you will feel insufficiently attractive and thus less confident and less happy.

I'm intrigued as to why you can't accept that some people wear it for other reasons. I will add that I did used to wear makeup all the time - why? Because I enjoyed it and it was a way of expressing creativity, so much so that I used to apply it in the house even when I wasn't going out (much to the bemusement of my brothers). Experimenting with different colours, blending/shading, perfecting the technique...for me it was no different to art and my face was a canvas to work with. I was bored and had the time. Since then I've become less interested in being creative, hence I don't bother any more.
    There are no other reasons, and I'm not sure why you are so incredulous when almost every single response in here was that they wear it to enjoy the results of being more attractive, i.e. confidence, happiness, etc. Expressing creativity through make-up is just expressing a creative way to look more attractive. I often change my hairstyle, for instance, as I enjoy the creativity of it and it expresses who I am in that stage of my life, though I always aim for it to be attractive, as you did when you creatively applied your make-up. People often do creative things to stand out amongst their peers, to set new trends, and this is all very attractive and they know it. It's the reason why trends are sustained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    No offence meant m'lady :hat: I just meant there seems a general correlation.
    Correlation =/= causation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to de-rail the thread but you're clutching at very small straws. I am telling you I don't wear it to be attractive to other people, if you can't accept that then you just prove everything I said to be correct.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to de-rail the thread but you're clutching at very small straws. I am telling you I don't wear it to be attractive to other people, if you can't accept that then you just prove everything I said to be correct.
    The same could be said for you, and this often happens when threads are sustained for several pages of very thorough debate. As you have not provided any convincing reasons for that premise (and as your first post in this thread directly contradicts it), I certainly cannot accept it as reason is more persuasive than opinion, in which case, ironically, we have somehow proved each other to be correct in everything. So we both win. Goodnight

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl, I don't get make up, why spend so much time and money on it she you could be doing other things? What's point of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_mohajer)
    They do it to catch the guys lol... Jk.

It goes more with self-esteem.

At the end pretty girls don't need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

End
    of
    ****ing
    thread.

And nice hair cut, Hermione! :love: lol

ReputationRep:
    Because I have rather bad skin and feel better with it covered up. And it's fun to change up your look depending on your mood. I go to an all-girls school, so men have nothing to do with it, and nor do girls for that matter. For me it's like an extension of my clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Guys can we please keep it on topic and sensible, can we avoid arguing and derailing the thread, thanks
    Thanks, *some* people dont seem to be listening though even after your post... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I'd just ignore him TBH, he clearly has some massive agenda as he refused to listen to the OP or my repeated pointing out that this thread is not for guys to say why girls wear make-up, and keeps starting the most stupid arguments with all the girls on here.

/dontfeedthetrolls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurtleberrySoup)
    Because I have rather bad skin and feel better with it covered up. And it's fun to change up your look depending on your mood. I go to an all-girls school, so men have nothing to do with it, and nor do girls for that matter. For me it's like an extension of my clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does foundation not hurt bad skin then? (Idk much sorry )

ReputationRep:
    Does foundation not hurt bad skin then? (Idk much sorry )
    Not at all, so long as you 1) don't pile it on with a shovel and 2) thoroughly cleanse your skin when you get home. Some foundations are even formulated to care for bad skin, so it can actually be beneficial

ReputationRep:
    Thread change btw...

Everyone please state their OWN and PERSONAL reasons, guys do not comment unless you wear makeup too
    I'd say it's a more confidence thing in my own opinion. I think us girls wear it so we can feel more confident

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wear make up because it's fun and I like the way it looks. It has nothing to do with trying to look attractive for guys, in my case anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wear makeup as it makes me feel confident. Plus seeing girls without makeup makes me feel sick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydamber)
    Contrary to popular belief, I've met more girls who wear make up for themselves than to impress guys.

My own reasons though:
    I feel better about myself.
    I feel more expressed.
    Routine.
    Gives me something to do while I'm still trying to get up in the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    May i ask, why does it make you feel better and what exactly does it express?

ReputationRep:
    nah putting on makeup is just fun in the morning, plus I'm ugly af and makeup turns me from a 3 to a 5
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Here's a makeup tutorial for anyone that needs one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7JJbA0JbcU&app=desktop

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.