Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Colonel Redl - epic double agent who sold Austria (his own country) out in WW1. Responsible for over 1.4m deaths. Epic in a interesting bad way.

ReputationRep:
    Eric the Red :medieval:

That guy ain't got no time for nobody, he does what he wants!

ReputationRep:
    The last East Roman Emperor, I've forgotten his name, but what a way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    The last East Roman Emperor, I've forgotten his name, but what a go to go.
    Konstantinos XI Palaiologos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jmlkhn)
    (...)

Malcolm X
    What about Martin Luther King? if we are talking about Malcolm X, we should name Martin Luther King in the same breath with.

ReputationRep:
    Nelson Mandela aka the real James Bond.. the guy had real balls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In no particular order:

Boudicca
    Alexander of Macedon
    Ching Shih
    Catherine the Great
    Gaius Octavius / Augustus Caesar
    Hannibal of Carthage
    Zenobia & Marcus Aurelius
    Nietzsche
    Catherine de Medici

(Also Hadrian bc I have a seemingly irrational love for him)

ReputationRep:
    Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

ReputationRep:
    Just thinking about the list more:

US Presidents
    1. Theodore Roosevelt.
    2. Franklin D.Roosevelt.
    3. Abraham Lincoln.
    4. Lyndon B. Johnson.
    5. Woodrow Wilson.

US Generals (some also Presidents).
    1. George Washington
    2. Ulysses S. Grant.
    3. Dwight D. Eisenhower.
    4. Robert E. Lee.
    5. George S. Patton.

Other US figures:
    1. Rosa Parks.
    2. Martin Luther King Jr.
    3. Hugo Black.
    4. Huey Long.
    5. Muhammed Ali (not just a sports star, but an important activist).

British
    1. Mary Seacole.
    2. Winston Churchill.
    3. William Gladstone.
    4. Clement Atlee.
    5. Queen Victoria
    6. Benjamin Disraeli.
    7. Margaret Thatcher.
    8. Francis Drake.
    9. Queen Elizabeth I.
    10. Queen Elizabeth II.

Prussian/German
    1. Otto von Bismarck.
    2. Friedrich II (aka. Frederick the Great).
    3. Carl von Clausewitz.
    4. Leopold von Ranke. (the father of history!!)
    5. Johannes Gutenberg.
    6. Helmuth von Moltke (the Elder).

Other:
    1. Napoleon Bonaparte.
    2. Julius Caesar.
    3. Ghengis Khan.
    4. Alexander the Great.
    5. Cleopatra VII.
    6. Hannibal Barca.
    7. Joan of Arc.
    8. Joseph Stalin.
    9. William the Conqueror.
    10. Ivan IV (the Terrible).

History has ignored Women, Indigenous populations, and Ethnic Minorities...so that's why this list is mostly men...but I've tried to include as many as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vital-phenomena)
    In no particular order:

Boudicca
    Alexander of Macedon
    Ching Shih
    Catherine the Great
    Gaius Octavius / Augustus Caesar
    Hannibal of Carthage
    Zenobia & Marcus Aurelius
    Nietzsche
    Catherine de Medici

(Also Hadrian bc I have a seemingly irrational love for him)
    Seriously???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornelius)
    Seriously???
    Yes, "seriously". If fact I believe there is an entire wiki page dedicated to his encompassing influence on numerous thinkers and ideologies. I find it surprising you would rather contest the epicness of Nietzsche than Hadrian. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vital-phenomena)
    Yes, "seriously". If fact I believe there is an entire wiki page dedicated to his encompassing influence on numerous thinkers and ideologies. I find it surprising you would rather contest the epicness of Nietzsche than Hadrian. :rolleyes:
    You did say you have an irrational love for him and I know nothing about him so I can't comment.

If you want to measure a philosopher's "epicness" by his "influence on numerous thinkers and ideologies" then Plato is epic beyond words and in fact most major philosophers vastly out-influence Nietzsche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornelius)
    If you want to measure a philosopher's "epicness" by his "influence on numerous thinkers and ideologies" then Plato is epic beyond words and in fact most major philosophers vastly out-influence Nietzsche.
    I haven't read any Plato or other equally famed philosophers such as Aristotle, Descartes, Marx, Kant or Socrates so I can't really comment on their writings and I'm sure they're epic in their own right and influence; but to me challenging traditional morality and foundations of Christianity is pretty damn epic, so that's why he was on my list.

ReputationRep:
    Isaac Newton

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Slew Nazis with a longsword and bow-and-arrow. Like a ****ing boss.

ReputationRep:
    Me
    God
    Bill Gates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Isabella of Castile, King Edward III
    Why Isabella of Castile? I'm curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinanutshell)
    Why Isabella of Castile? I'm curious
    Considering how women were viewed in the medieval times, she was an extremely able, powerful and ruthless warrior queen, eclipsing her husband in both prestige and notoriety. She also commissioned Christopher Columbus' discovery of America and united Spain after kicking out the last muslim inhabitants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Considering how women were viewed in the medieval times, she was an extremely able, powerful and ruthless warrior queen, eclipsing her husband in both prestige and notoriety. She also commissioned Christopher Columbus' discovery of America and united Spain after kicking out the last muslim inhabitants.
    Hmm.. Okay. I agree she was powerful and determined and she had to struggle to reach that position. I also think her ruling methods were interesting, she practically single-handedly reorganized government and governmental resources to reduce economic debt and protect her subjects. She was a visionary and I've always thought she was an impressing figure but some of the things she did/approved of... I can't admire. Forcing the conversion of all jews and muslims and banishing the jewish community in 1492, the Holy Inquisition, the way they handled the conquest of the Americas...
    I think you make a very valid point and I agree to some extent but she wouldn't be on my list. It's just my opinion of course, I think she was a powerful and intelligent ruler but I also think her character has been aggrandized over the years to turn her into some kind of epic heroine of the Church and the monarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinanutshell)
    Hmm.. Okay. I agree she was powerful and determined and she had to struggle to reach that position. I also think her ruling methods were interesting, she practically single-handedly reorganized government and governmental resources to reduce economic debt and protect her subjects. She was a visionary and I've always thought she was an impressing figure but some of the things she did/approved of... I can't admire. Forcing the conversion of all jews and muslims and banishing the jewish community in 1492, the Holy Inquisition, the way they handled the conquest of the Americas...
    I think you make a very valid point and I agree to some extent but she wouldn't be on my list. It's just my opinion of course, I think she was a powerful and intelligent ruler but I also think her character has been aggrandized over the years to turn her into some kind of epic heroine of the Church and the monarchy.
    Of course, I don't like what she did with the Jews and the Inquisition, but you've got to remember the time she lived in where this was commonplace. Trying to judge a 15th century character through 21st century eyes is bound to be flawed. But yes, inevitably all great monarchs of al countries are somewhat idolised, but at the end of the day it's human nature to do that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.