Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Machete Wielding Man Screaming "White Power" Attacks Shopper in Tesco watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Because you need another 57,734 attacks to be comparable with Islam.
    I don't care. An attack is an attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    "I think that all white people should apologise on his behalf!!!"

(Original post by queen-bee)
    This is so accurate hahah
    Why?
    Shouldn't we rather be condemning the ideology of white supremacy that motivated the attack?

By your logic, that would mean that all Muslims should apologise for the Paris attacks, and that is a ridiculous idea that no intelligent person subscribes to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    I can't see a lot of white people condemning it. Where are they hiding?
    I hereby and henceforth condemn any and all aggressive acts of violence, past, present and future. No exceptions. Even if the victim has ****ged off my favouritest ever person.

Can you reply to this and C&P that statement so I know that you do as well.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    I hereby and henceforth condemn any and all aggressive acts of violence, past, present and future. No exceptions. Even if the victim has ****ged off my favouritest ever person.

Can you reply to this and C&P that statement so I know that you do as well.
    Thanks.
    I don't think you understood my post.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you understood my post.
    What did you mean by
    I can't see a lot of white people condemning it. Where are they hiding?
    if not "I can't see a lot of white people condemning it. Where are they hiding?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    What did you mean by if not "I can't see a lot of white people condemning it. Where are they hiding?"
    Why do you think I should condemn this act?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think I should condemn this act?
    Why wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Why wouldn't you?
    I asked you the question first.

ReputationRep:
    I asked you the question first.
    It was more of a rhetorical question.

To put it another way, any violent attack on another person is wrong. Any civilised person with a shred of human empathy would condemn the deliberate and malicious wounding or killing of any fellow human, regardless of race, nationality, religion or ideology (especially outside the context of legitimate armed conflict).

So, with that in mind, why wouldn't you condemn it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    It was more of a rhetorical question.

To put it another way, any violent attack on another person is wrong. Any civilised person with a shred of human empathy would condemn the deliberate and malicious wounding or killing of any fellow human, regardless of race, nationality, religion or ideology (especially outside the context of legitimate armed conflict).

So, with that in mind, why wouldn't you condemn it?
    I didn't say I wouldn't.

And your paragraph above is debatable.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say I wouldn't.
    Well, do you? You seemed concerned that "white people" hadn't - although I fail to see what race has to do with it.

And your paragraph above is debatable.
    In what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Well, do you? You seemed concerned that "white people" hadn't - although I fail to see what race has to do with it.
    Well obviously I do. You fail to see what race has to do with it when there was a guy shouting 'white power' with a machete?

(Original post by QE2)
    In what way?
    You said 'any violent attack on another person is wrong.'
    Is it wrong if I punched/slapped a murderer on the face?

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously I do. You fail to see what race has to do with it when there was a guy shouting 'white power' with a machete?
    Race obviously was an issue with the attack, but why does race have anything to do with the condemnation?

You said 'any violent attack on another person is wrong.'
    Yes. You would be guilty of assault. In civilised society, vigilante justice is illegal, and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Race obviously was an issue with the attack, but why does race have anything to do with the condemnation?
    Why were Muslims constantly being asked to condemn the Paris attack then?

(Original post by QE2)
    Yes. You would be guilty of assault. In civilised society, vigilante justice is illegal, and wrong.
    Wow ok.

ReputationRep:
    Why were Muslims constantly being asked to condemn the Paris attack then?
    Firstly, everyone should condemn it.
    Secondly, the ideological motivation for the attack is relevant. Although that in no way means that others who share that ideology are responsible, the sharing of the ideology means that there is some requirement to distance themselves from their fellow ideologists if they do not want to be tainted by association.

As I said earlier, other white supremacists would have more pressure on them to condemn than ordinary "white folk" who do not agree with white supremacy ideologies.

In the same way, with the Paris attacks, Muslims would be under more pressure to condemn than French Algerians who do not agree with Islam.

It could be claimed that it is slightly racist to assume that everyone of the same colour holds the same views.

ReputationRep:
    Vigilante justice is illegal and frowned on in civilised countries. I realise that it is common in certain parts of the world, but they aren't all that civilised (obviously).

ReputationRep:
    LOLOL dailyfail disabled comments. How convenient :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Firstly, everyone should condemn it.
    Secondly, the ideological motivation for the attack is relevant. Although that in no way means that others who share that ideology are responsible, the sharing of the ideology means that there is some requirement to distance themselves from their fellow ideologists if they do not want to be tainted by association.

As I said earlier, other white supremacists would have more pressure on them to condemn than ordinary "white folk" who do not agree with white supremacy ideologies.

In the same way, with the Paris attacks, Muslims would be under more pressure to condemn than French Algerians who do not agree with Islam.

It could be claimed that it is slightly racist to assume that everyone of the same colour holds the same views.
    Good to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Vigilante justice is illegal and frowned on in civilised countries. I realise that it is common in certain parts of the world, but they aren't all that civilised (obviously).
    Yeah let's give all those criminals a hug instead. Much better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah let's give all those criminals a hug instead. Much better.
    Nobody advocated that, did they? Doesn't your religion have something to say about people who attack others?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.