Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how not to get insecure abut having done an inferior degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Business is more about having a way with words and an ability to bull****. Obviously humanities is often better than science in this regard. Technical skills are all well and good but they won't help you get managerial jobs as such. You will get a good salary early but may not be able to progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Tell me what you experienced. What was your degree and what is your current field of employment?
    English and Modern History

Part-time retail guy with a Business degree

'Discrimination' is dramatic, rather he was depressing me by saying it's a tough market for.non-STEM

I experienced unrelated discrimination by my boss due to my disability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Business is more about having a way with words and an ability to bull****. Obviously humanities is often better than science in this regard. Technical skills are all well and good but they won't help you get managerial jobs as such. You will get a good salary early but may not be able to progress.
    I did arts and humanities at an RG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    If you really want to do it who gives a ****? Maybe you wouldn't be first priority on a desert island, but then just avoid sailing.

out of curiosity, what job you going for?

Er classroom.assistant to start with

I'm going to be boosting the self.esteem of semi illiterate kids. Basically have to do the exact opposite of what I do to myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    "how not to get insecure abut having done an inferior degree?"

Well...you could start by not referring to non-STEM degrees as "inferior"?
    I don't like to think they are by seek empirical evidence that they are not because my mind likes to be very rational.since I am otherwise.an emotional muppet-bucket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)

Er classroom.assistant to start with

I'm going to be boosting the self.esteem of semi illiterate kids. Basically have to do the exact opposite of what I do to myself
    From the "to start with" I guess that means you want to become a teacher? Nothing to be ashamed of there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I did arts and humanities at an RG
    Same, admittedly I am doing a masters in a businessy type subject now rather than working, but there's no reason why you or I shouldn't be able to get a job, or why our degrees are necessarily inferior.

The reason people say humanities is inferior is because if you have any verbal intelligence whatsoever you can make up any old *******s and get a decent grade, and there's no real way to guarantee you haven't done this; whereas with science you have to get all the steps right and it's possible to fail. But equally it's hard to demonstrably excel in the humanities, and you certainly can't do it by mechanically following a series of prescribed steps.

Fact is that humanities graduates are more useful to general management, administrative and client-facing positions in business than scientists (as long as you can add up and do basic stuff like interpret a graph). More advanced mathematical knowledge might be good for the financial side.

Past that though you are looking at technical skills/positions, which as I say are usually better paid early on but you are more likely to be pigeonholed.

The idea that scientists and technical people are better for "general business" than humanities people is predicated on the false premise that businesses and the business environment are hyper-rational actors. In fact it's all governed by the laws of the social sciences and the collective idiocy of humanity. I would also say however that technical people tend to be more "serious people" than humanities ones and this probably makes much more of a contribution than what you did in your degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I had never heard about degree superiority until I joined TSR. TSR is a different place to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Dont hang around near/with Asians basically. Neebody else gives much uva ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    From the "to start with" I guess that means you want to become a teacher? Nothing to be ashamed of there.
    yes

eh I fear the low income would be a turn-off
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I just tell myself that I bloody love my degree and I don't care if people try to put me down about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.