Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes it is.
    Opinion without reason is but a fart in the wind.

ReputationRep:
    Sad day for all boobie lovers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    Yeah, and who do you think is behind the fact that magazines are targeted that way?

(Hint: it's men.)
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    On the third page of a newspaper? Where?

It's not sexist because of the tits, it's sexist because of where it is.

If you want to see bouncy tits on a <23 year old, there are places you can go... on the internet... if you get my drift.
    I don't think the Sun itself has ever wanted to be a news-paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    Whose 'freedom' is being taken away exactly? Is it now illegal to sell topless pictures of yourself?
    The Sun never to my knowledge had a basement of hot girls shackled to the walls. They go on page 3 because they want to and now because of some loudmouth feminazi ramblers they no longer can.

ReputationRep:
    I said "as far as I understand it" with regards to the men's magazines because I've only seen the front covers of them occasionally, and I'm aware that I don't know as much about them as a regular reader would.
    If you care so deeply about gender equality in the media, why have you not researched both male and female magazines more than this? What exactly are your opinions about these magazines based on if you know nothing about them? Why haven't you read Men's Health/GQ before making these far-fetched and speculative posts of yours?

If they're unfairly pressuring men, then yes, that is a problem, but it's certainly not women who are advocating it.
    And yet according to you it is certainly the case that men advocate the pressure in women's magazines? Do you have proof for either of these assertions? It seems to me that men and women advocate both equally because women find a certain ideal of man optimally attractive on average and vice-versa.

It speaks volumes to me that you regard my confidence in my own appearance as arrogance. Does a painting need to be observed by an entire community before it can be judged as aesthetically pleasing? No, and neither does the appearance of a human being. If I'm happy with the way I look, then that's all that matters. I don't care if someone else doesn't like my outfit; I'm not going to let them stop me from dressing the way I like.
    Paintings are inanimate. They have no ability or desire to interact with society, to attract the opposite sex, to make friends, to feel confident in how they look relative to other paintings. They are not self-aware nor aware of the community within which they belong. You are happy with the way you look only relative to society and the people around you, you could only ever be indifferent to how you look if you were on your own because the concepts of "fashionable" and "handsome" and "stylish" and "attractive" would be incomprehensible. How could you believe yourself to be beautiful, for example, if you were the only woman on the planet? How would you judge your beauty? There's two things you need to realise: a) it is not wrong to want to be attractive in the eyes of others and to derive confidence from this, and b) looking good in terms of your physical appearance can only ever be relative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitWindy)
    Don't be a dolt.
    I presume by that you mean don't question the staggering level of hypocrisy in your post.

You have a problem with this if the decision was in any way influenced by feminists, why?

Ultimately the decision was made by the Sun, you are now putting pressure on them to reverse it, how are you any different to the feminists? Shouldn't you really do as you preach and simply shut up and stop buying it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't read The Sun and I have in fact never bought a copy, I find it crass and and vulgar.

However, the campaign against page 3 represents my hatred of much of the modern left, it celebrates failure, it celebrates mediocrity. This isn't about protecting women, it's about unattractive girls and their seething jealousy of beautiful ones. A similar thing is when guys who never get girls, complain that women are sluts, they are not angry that women are sluts, they are angry that women don't want to be sluts for them.

If you want equality, put a man with a muscular body on a different page - something for the women to enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    If you want equality, put a man with an aesthetic body on a different page - something for the women to enjoy
    I think they did, on page 7. Or it may have been The Star that did that.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed how The Sun haven't actually made a statement themselves on the matter. Perhaps they're just testing the water by changing Page 3 to gauge the reaction. If sales fall too low, they'll simply revert to business as normal on Page 3 and deny any claim that they had scrapped it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I don't read The Sun and I have in fact never bought a copy, I find it crass and and vulgar.

However, the campaign against page 3 represents my hatred of much of the modern left, it celebrates failure, it celebrates mediocrity. This isn't about protecting women, it's about unattractive girls and their seething jealousy of beautiful ones. A similar thing is when guys who never get girls, complain that women are sluts, they are not angry that women are sluts, they are angry that women don't want to be sluts for them.

If you want equality, put a man with a muscular body on a different page - something for the women to enjoy
    I have never seen more sense in a post.

In b4 feminazi's jump on board

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    They weren't forced to remove them, they bowed down to social pressure. I would have disagreed with outright banning page 3 but the fact that they have stopped it by choice is completely acceptable (and a good thing, in my personal opinion).

ReputationRep:
    I don't buy magazines, actually, and it's because I don't like the gender-stereotyped content. Thanks for assuming that I personally am stupid when you know nothing about me.
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a misandrist. I believe in gender equality, which is why I dislike the fact that women are constantly pressured to look good for other people. It so happens that men are generally the ones in charge in the press industry. It's also possible for women to have internalised misogyny, which I believe is largely the case for these magazines whose editors are female. I don't read them, but the front pages always seem to be about impressing men, and if women are being told by other women that their self-worth is directly proportional to how they are viewed by a man, then we have a problem.

This isn't meant condescendingly, but a lot of people don't realise that there actually is such a thing as looking good for yourself. My self-worth isn't tied to how other people react to my appearance. I rarely wear make-up, but if I feel like wearing it, then I will. I'm not trying to impress anyone by presenting myself in a way that I personally like.
    So what about those who partake in these photo shoots willingly? Who are you to take away job opportunities from them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as a woman I'm quite happy about this. Hopefully men will stop objectifying us so much in future.
    And when will men stop being objectified?

ReputationRep:
    No more scantily clad women alongside insightful quotes about society or the economy. Damn.

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness, now feminism has dealt with that important issue it now has the freedom to focus on the more trivial things like women being executed for being raped.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many anti-Page 3 girls have rugby calenders with borderline naked guys, hung up at homes or in offices.

NEWS FLASH

Some women like to get their kit off. Shall we start banning other things you don't like? If you think anyone bought The Sun for page 3, you're a tool. When you have the interwebs, the least of your concerns should be one page in a newspaper.

All those aspiring glamour models who will no doubt go on to star in such greats as TOWIE. You have ruined them...

This isn't equality

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, that's not what I said. I said that magazines are targeted towards different genders that way because men put pressure on women to "look good for them", and generally throw a childish tantrum if a woman says she wears make-up and nice clothes for herself and not for a man's approval.
    Mmm, because there are no magazines in existence that portray men as Adonis or Hercules.

That door swings both ways, so don't open it if you can't handle that fact. And no, "women have it worse" is not a valid argument unless you arbitrarily perceive Feminism as a pissing contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    The 'men are objectified too argument' is incredibly weak. Men just aren't objectified as much as women. Men in media are portrayed as the ideal. They aren't there to be fantasised about, but to be fantasised as. Huge difference. Watch any action movie or advertisement involving topless men. They are there most times for men to wish they were the muscular and powerful man that Is being portrayed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Utter nonsense. So films like magic mike don't sexualise men? They're simply the ideal for men who want to be dancers? Infact, according to your logic, women probably aren't even turned on by half naked, muscular men :rolleyes:

And even if what you were saying were true (which it isn't). Don't people also complain about unrealistic standards being placed upon women after thin beautiful models being placed in advertisement? So why is it acceptable the other way round?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.