Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKIP is not a racist party. Agree or disagree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burridge)
    The party isn't racist - publicly that is. However, what goes on behind closed doors is a different matter, though. Although the party isn't racist, the membership is comprised of a lot of racists.

The argument from there could go either way - for me, a party that knowingly attracts a great deal of support from racists, and seek to capitalise on that support (e.g Farage's proud to attract ex-BNP voters), is a racist organisation.

The UKIP and EDL mirror one-another in this respect: I genuinely believe that Tommy Robinson is not a racist, but there's a broad consensus that the EDL is racist based on the views and actions of its membership. Let's also remember that Robinson left the EDL because he believed it had become infiltrated with racists and extremists - Alan Sked left UKIP for the exact same reason. Of course, the EDL is a more extreme and perverted organisation, though.

Fears about immigration - particularly Eastern-European immigration - has replaced the traditional race-related fears that were widespread in the 1950s and 60s. It's become so rampant and hateful that, arguably, it amounts to a new form of racism.
    If we allow anyone and everyone to come to the country, the country will become even more overcrowded than it already is. There is already too much strain on public services as a result of overpopulation, mostly due to excessive immigration; soon out economy will collapse if this continues. You would be naive to disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10001)
    If we allow anyone and everyone to come to the country, the country will become even more overcrowded than it already is. There is already too much strain on public services as a result of overpopulation, mostly due to excessive immigration; soon out economy will collapse if this continues. You would be naive to disagree.
    It'd be nice if you responded to my specific points. Oh well. My expectations of reasonable and well articulated debate when joining this website were shattered days after I started posting.

Do we allow anyone and everyone to come into the country? Nope.

Do citizens of other EU states have the ability to come here? Yes. All 500m of them, I know - shock, horror! Does that mean they are all going to come? Nope. UKIP scaremongering at its finest. Are all 500m EU citizens also entitled to live and work in Germany? France? Spain? Yes. That includes us - and millions of us take advantage of that right, too.

Are we overcrowded? I don't know. What makes you say that? The UK's population density is much lower than the Netherlands, Belgium, China, Japan etc. Our population density is actually in-line with most other continental states such as France, Germany and Switzerland.

Is the strain on public services due to overpopulation? Do you have a source for that claim? The only way that the strain on public services would be due to overpopulation would be if those public services didn't have the resources to meet the demand - stemming from a lack of funding. That might be a fair conclusion if immigrants were of a net-loss to the country, but that isn't the case. Immigrants are paying their fair share - they contribute more than they take; the funding for the public services are there - and if it's not, then overpopulation isn't to blame. Austerity is to blame. Departmental cuts are to blame.

Oh well, guess I'm just naive :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Your "specific point" was that being sceptical of immigration is racist towards Eastern Europeans. I responded by stating that excessive immigration is damaging to the country's infrastructure and economy; therefore it is fine to be concerned about immigration. Do you think it right that foreign economic migrants can come here, claim benefits and then immediately send it back to their families in Poland? They are effectively stealing from us, the taxpayers and abusing the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10001)
    Your "specific point" was that being sceptical of immigration is racist towards Eastern Europeans.
    You should quote me next time. I made quite a few points, actually. And your response about public services was hardly a rebuttal ... I demonstrated that your argument is misguided at best, xenophobic at worst.

(Original post by 10001)
    excessive immigration is damaging to the country's infrastructure and economy
    Most statistics and evidence on the matter proves that immigration does not damage the economic in any significant way. What's excessive? If the UK is currently witnessing "excessive immigration", then all recent data on the topic demonstrate that "excessive immigration" doesn't negatively impact the economy, either.

(Original post by 10001)
    Do you think it right that foreign economic migrants can come here, claim benefits and then immediately send it back to their families in Poland? They are effectively stealing from us, the taxpayers and abusing the system.
    Is it right that migrants can come here, claim benefits and send it back to their families? No. Is that an argument against immigration, though? No. The two aren't mutually dependent.

(Original post by 10001)
    They are effectively stealing from us, the taxpayers and abusing the system.
    If "stealing" taxpayers money is your primary worry, you should probably concentrate more on tax-evasion and/or avoidance, which, some figures suggest, costs upwards of £120bn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    UKIP are an openly xenophobic party with racist undertones and attracts large amounts of deeply unpleasant and racist members.
    We know what you're doing. You've been doing this for 20 years now. You can't use the word racist forever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.