Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I failed my degree - I now earn £77000 4 years later - don't lose hope watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    I hate stories like this. You're basically encouraging students to not work as hard as they can because it will all work out for them anyway. You are a VERY lucky person, you're not 'smart' (like you describe yourself) if you went to a bad uni and still failed all your uni work, you're simply lucky. 99% of people who were in your situation would have ended up with a terrible job.
    This, same reason all those tech *******s that quit their uni and encourage people to quit are ********s, too.

Sure there will always be genius that are better placed to creatively use their talent rather than study learn what is already know at uni, but the vast majority of people are not like that.

They just encourage people to try something because they don't care how many fail, they just need one to succeed to profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realcloud)
    I do think he is smart as grades don't measure intelligence and his on 77k a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rolleyes:

I guess "smart" can mean a lot of things, but the way it's usually used, academically, making a lot of money does in no way mean you have to be smart that way. Plenty of idiots out their being rich because they have other qualities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theDanIdentity)
    'from Alevel'..?

A level of some form of evidence would be required here, my good Sir..

(although, there is that small voice, after reading this; going: damn! i need to step my game up..!)

Here's your proof - Capgem are one of the top consulting firms. They are now taking straight from A-Level for exceptional people.

http://www.uk.capgemini.com/careers/...programmeforme

"Higher Apprentices

You will need a minimum of 7 GCSE’s A* - C including Maths and English as well as 240 UCAS points (these can be predicted at the time you apply). The 240 UCAS points can be made up by achieving at least CCC grades at A-level or a minimum of 1 Distinction at BTEC."

Note: when I say exceptional, it's clear that I'm not talking about grades. They are happy to take people with average A-levels. They are looking for the PERSON to be exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Must be a serious lack of people in your line of business if 4 years and failing something so many people can do, still gets you manager.
    Not even close. Tech is booming, if you have good skills and are great with clients, you're in. That also puts you miles ahead of most of your competition. The mix of good tech ability and great personality (can consult) is not as common as it needs to be.

People seem to be devaluing his sucess due to their blatant jealously. Any candidate with impressive, relevant experience will always override an inexperienced graduate who believes a first-class degree at a Russell Group will by default get them a job. I don't see the "overwhelming luck" OP had that others see. Let's face it, degrees in this country are good but generic - it's unlikely it would have made him any more successful. It's also a bit insulting to the OP and his employers - as though he'd been recruited by chance for some sort of social experiment. He's been successful because he had advanced skills in his field of work which surpassed his competitors. As to why he didn't complete his degree is another matter, we've all experienced unfortunate circumstances. Besides, education will always be there - no reason why he couldn't attempt to get one again.

Whilst education is important, the OP's story supports why experience for employment is more important. Well done OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverlosehope)
    Not even close. Tech is booming, if you have good skills and are great with clients, you're in. That also puts you miles ahead of most of your competition. The mix of good tech ability and great personality (can consult) is not as common as it needs to be.
    Yea, so there is a lack of people with skill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    People seem to be devaluing his sucess due to their blatant jealously. Any candidate with impressive, relevant experience will always override an inexperienced graduate who believes a first-class degree at a Russell Group will by default get them a job. I don't see the "overwhelming luck" OP had that others see. Let's face it, degrees in this country are good but generic - it's unlikely it would have made him any more successful. It's also a bit insulting to the OP and his employers - as though he'd been recruited by chance for some sort of social experiment. He's been successful because he had advanced skills in his field of work which surpassed his competitors. As to why he didn't complete his degree is another matter, we've all experienced unfortunate circumstances. Besides, education will always be there - no reason why he couldn't attempt to get one again.

Whilst education is important, the OP's story supports why experience for employment is more important. Well done OP.
    Yea, the skill of failing university when you don't even need 50% to pass.

Anyway, his post is too misleading. If it is true then he obviously has a great talent in another area. Most uni drop outs are not likely to have that.

Most firms will still want grads. Sure they offer straight out of A level, but failing uni is neither grad nor straight out of A level.

Not to mention I find his mindset totally wrong. After 4 years manager...I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    Stole the words from my fingertips.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, so there is a lack of people with skill...
    Well yeah, there are many software devs that have certifications up to their eyeballs but are still **** at what they do. The same applies across all industries. Good people are good people, simple as that. You'll see that as you move through your career. I've worked with so many **** PM's and BA's, it's unreal!

ReputationRep:
    Pure luck. Oh and enjoy getting taxed a lot.

ReputationRep:

Not to mention I find his mindset totally wrong. After 4 years manager...I don't know.
    What's wrong with my mindset? I'm just saying that your degree is important, but experience is incredibly important. That's one of the reasons why grads with placements are more likely to land a good job when compared to grads without a placement. Having the experience makes you so much better.

At some of the large consultancy firms, 4 years is a standard amount of time to make manager if you hit every promotion on time. I just bounced around some smaller companies before joining as a manager in the 4th year of my career. I would not have been accepted here straight out of Uni though, and that's because I don't have a degree.

When I look at the new grads coming in, the ones that did placements all get promotions the first time round whereas it's more hit and miss with the inexperienced grads. Experience counts.

A lot of experienced hire jobs don't care about your degree, or, they care very little compared to your experience.

You can summarise my whole post by saying:

If you do crap on your degree, go work for a few none tier one firms, get as much experience out of them as possible, flip jobs to get pay rises then, after a few years, hit up the tier one firms. By this point, your experience is way more valuable than your academics and you're already getting paid a good amount of money so the tier one firm aren't going to scoff at you.

That's not exactly a bad strategy and I'm hardly unique. There are plenty of people that I see that have moved over from client side to consultancy that don't have degrees and they are all in senior positions. Mostly (but not always), your experience is worth way more than your degree (mileage may vary, depends on vocation etc).

Welcome to the real world. However, please complete your degree, I would have much preferred to be tier one straight out of Uni. Saying that though, I do have awesome experiences that some of my tier one colleagues did not get as they were pigeon holed very early on by their massively overbearing grad scheme.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying I didn't need to put any effort in to anything I've ever done? I could have just laid back instead and luck would have brought everything to me? There's a difference between people like me and people like you. I end up being your boss...
    You don't know what I want to be. You certainly wouldn't be my boss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    I believe that's pretty standard for software engineers with a bit of experience and obviously the OP has the DipHE too
    That's not standard for software developers at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theDanIdentity)
    'from Alevel'..?

A level of some form of evidence would be required here, my good Sir..

(although, there is that small voice, after reading this; going: damn! i need to step my game up..!)
    My friends sister is doing a PwC scheme designed specifically to recruiteople that weren't graduates.

So no, no it wouldn't.

http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/schools...ticeship.jhtml

ReputationRep:
    This is either complete luck 100% or fake. There was no hard work involved just someone who is lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    An inspiring story and glad to hear it. I knew from family without degrees who applied to positions that required a degree and got them that it was more about experience. To be honest there's a bit of a myth that if you go to a good school you're entitled to a good job.. Glad to see prominent examples of that not being the case.

ReputationRep:
    This is either complete luck 100% or fake. There was no hard work involved just someone who is lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? So all of my interview prep was a waste? I should have never bothered to learn the Java programming language? I should have never bothered researching market competition or trends because luck would have just seen me through?

Why do you find it hard to believe that big consultancy firms hire experienced people without caring what degree they have?

I didn't get into this firm as a grad, I got into this firm as an experienced hire. Why don't you go and actually read my posts so you can see what I did rather than wading in at the end.

I'm trying to give a different perspective to people that aren't doing as well as they hoped and show them an alternate path that doesn't involve flipping burgers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrimReaper205)
    That's not standard for software developers at all.
    Average for grads is 25k. I already had 12 months of experience, at a very well known firm, from my placement year which is why they treated me as one level above graduate for my first ever post-uni role

Average 25k for fresh grad - http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk...%20engineer.do

You've also got to remember that your average grad has no god damn clue what they're doing and they have never written real world software. My placement really made me stand out. I'd actually written code that was running in production for a major company. I'd also dealt with requirements gathering testing and stakeholder management skills. What fresh grad has that? Not many... hence the 30k

EDIT: it seems that average jumps to 31.5k in London. Jesus... I was underpaid!!!
    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk...%20engineer.do

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? So all of my interview prep was a waste? I should have never bothered to learn the Java programming language? I should have never bothered researching market competition or trends because luck would have just seen me through?

Why do you find it hard to believe that big consultancy firms hire experienced people without caring what degree they have?

I didn't get into this firm as a grad, I got into this firm as an experienced hire. Why don't you go and actually read my posts so you can see what I did rather than wading in at the end.

I'm trying to give a different perspective to people that aren't doing as well as they hoped and show them an alternate path that doesn't involve flipping burgers you self righteous ****.
    Many people know how the Java programming works. You just got lucky there's nothing special about you. You didn't work hard at all. 100000% luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many people know how the Java programming works. You just got lucky there's nothing special about you. You didn't work hard at all. 100000% luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah right, I sit in interviews with people now that know some level of Java but nowhere near good enough to get an offer from us.

Many people claim to know Java well but they really know it at a superficial level and write terrible code that's hard to maintain. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're nothing but a troll.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.