Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    You sound like you're very judgemental about her having slept around. If you're someone's best friend you're meant to be supportive of them, not going around criticising their decisions. Also, if you've been that close for a year, and you live together, she's probably grown to trust you a pretty huge amount. The idea that you were actually just getting close to her so you could try and date her seems pretty disgusting if not downright scary to me
    He is allowed to have his own opinion. Just because she is his best friend does not mean he has to agree with or like everything she does. He never said he got close to her to date her. If he did, he would not have waited a frigging year to pop the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sluice)
    I'm not judgemental. It just hurts when she acted so disgusted about me, when she clearly isn't averse to it in general. If she had been kinder it wouldn't have mattered.

And no I didn't make friends with her just to date her. I actually only spent time with her after falling out with another friend, and during the course of our time together developed feelings to the point of feeling genuinely miserable when she wasn't around during christmas.
    You're clearly too attached here. Sorry if I was a bit harsh before. You really need to take some time away - living together doesn't help. Stay with another friend, family or whoever for a while if you can, because it's not healthy to be reliant on someone else especially when they don't feel the same way, whether they're a friend or a partner. You can change that and trust me, you'll be happier for it

ReputationRep:
    But I don't want to be friends. I'm not being dramatic. I just don't care any more.
    This is precisely my point. You aren't in the mental state to make a rational decision that you won't regret right now so give it some time (a couple of weeks) and then make a rational decision when you're more level-headed.

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly too attached here. Sorry if I was a bit harsh before. You really need to take some time away - living together doesn't help. Stay with another friend, family or whoever for a while if you can, because it's not healthy to be reliant on someone else especially when they don't feel the same way, whether they're a friend or a partner. You can change that and trust me, you'll be happier for it
    But I don't want to continue the friendship. I just don't feel anything. It feels like I am doing it for the sake of it

ReputationRep:
    As it's been 3 days since you asked her out how has she been acting around you since then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozark)
    This is precisely my point. You aren't in the mental state to make a rational decision that you won't regret right now so give it some time (a couple of weeks) and then make a rational decision when you're more level-headed.
    I'm clinically depressed (although none of my friends know) so that doesn't really exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the eurasiannation)
    As it's been 3 days since you asked her out how has she been acting around you since then?
    Just like normal. (She has since about 10 seconds after she said no). She wants me to go to a university meal type thing with her tomorrow and I think I'd rather spend the time doing anything else

ReputationRep:
    But I don't want to continue the friendship. I just don't feel anything. It feels like I am doing it for the sake of it
    Exactly, someone above said how has she been acting since THE REJECTION. Please answer

ReputationRep:
    Everything's going to be very raw right now. In my experience sometimes feelings change and you will want her in your life, so don't do anything drastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekemini)
    Exactly, someone above said how has she been acting since THE REJECTION. Please answer
    Just did

ReputationRep:
    Everything's going to be very raw right now. In my experience sometimes feelings change and you will want her in your life, so don't do anything drastic.
    It isn't raw though. It's being disillusioned

ReputationRep:
    Just like normal. (She has since about 10 seconds after she said no). She wants me to go to a university meal type thing with her tomorrow and I think I'd rather spend the time doing anything else
    Do what you wish to do then. I have clinical depression myself and would really hate to be in your situation right now. It would be helpful for you to talk with a close figure that you trust. Does your family know about your depression, hell, does she even know about it?

Try to stay productive in your daily routine to prevent those negative cycles. If you don't want to have a direct confrontation with her about ending/ your friendship drifting away. See what her reaction is when you become more distant and that in itself will probably give you an indication whether she's really your friend or not.

About being disillusioned: Sometimes people just aren't what they seem to be, the only thing you can do is move on and find someone that deserves your respect.

ReputationRep:
    Just did
    Then take your sorry ass and go do something else

ReputationRep:
    Do what you wish to do then. I have clinical depression myself and would really hate to be in your situation right now. It would be helpful for you to talk with a close figure that you trust. Does your family know about your depression, hell, does she even know about it?

Try to stay productive in your daily routine to prevent those negative cycles. If you don't want to have a direct confrontation with her about ending/ your friendship drifting away. See what her reaction is when you become more distant and that in itself will probably give you an indication whether she's really your friend or not.

No. No one I know does. I've never told anyone except for a doctor about 2 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't raw though. It's being disillusioned
    Hoping that I'll never have to say
    It's just an illusion, illusion, illusion
    Follow your emotions anywhere
    Is it really magic in the air?
    Never let your feelings get you down
    Open up your eyes and look around

ReputationRep:
    Hoping that I'll never have to say
    Follow your emotions anywhere
    Is it really magic in the air?
    Never let your feelings get you down
    Open up your eyes and look around
    What song is that

ReputationRep:
    What song is that
    Just an illusion by Imagination. I am big fan of music not made in the 21st century. In other words, I love songs from people like Earth, wind and fire, aerosmith, Kool and the gang, Tupac and many more

ReputationRep:
    No. No one I know does. I've never told anyone except for a doctor about 2 months ago.
    If your university does offer it, try get counseling from there. If you do feel comfortable enough talking about your depression with a professional.

ReputationRep:
    Just an illusion by Imagination. I am big fan of music not made in the 21st century. In other words, I love songs from people like Earth, wind and fire, aerosmith, Kool and the gang, Tupac and many more
    Same

ReputationRep:
    If your university does offer it, try get counseling from there. If you do feel comfortable enough talking about your depression with a professional.
    I'm already seeing someone outside uni

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.