ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    What about the very poor?
    Go to school, learn and get better job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about the very poor?
    The poor in this country are only failed by insufficient regulation. The global poor are slowly getting richer.

ReputationRep:
    Does this NWA guarantee human rights for those who don't want to live in diverse communities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Go to school, learn and get better job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You really think it's that simple for certain people?

What about people escaping from war torn countries, looking for a better life, to be treated like aliens, sent to detention camps etc.

What about the homeless?

What about war torn countries themselves?

It's not just about a person simply being lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalismstinks)
    Does this NWA guarantee human rights for those who don't want to live in diverse communities?
    If you don't want to live with other human beings, that's your choice, as long as you respect others that do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The poor in this country are only failed by insufficient regulation. The global poor are slowly getting richer.
    Why do you think there is insufficient regulation? Show me stats that the poor are slowly getting richer, because I think there are still a lot of people not receiving the basic necessities to live. The comfort of knowing all they have to do is sit and wait for the money to start rolling in, isn't helping, people are suffering.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think there is insufficient regulation? Show me stats that the poor are slowly getting richer, because I think there are still a lot of people not receiving the basic necessities to live. The comfort of knowing all they have to do is sit and wait for the money to start rolling in, isn't helping, people are suffering.
    The global poor are slowly getting richer because real incomes (incomes adjusted for inflation) are increasing across most of the world. This is borne out in statistics showing less people earning below $1.25 per day and other statistics like falling global food poverty. China alone has taken half a billion out of absolute poverty.

Regulations in this country could be changed such that we had no homeless, no starving, that incomes would increase at a faster rate.. one does not need to tear down the system, simply regulate it in such a way that you extract maximum gain.

ReputationRep:
    You really think it's that simple for certain people?

What about people escaping from war torn countries, looking for a better life, to be treated like aliens, sent to detention camps etc.

What about the homeless?

What about war torn countries themselves?

It's not just about a person simply being lazy.
    In most cases it is. Most war torn countries are that way because of their stupid religion. You mean homeless people like Chris Gardner who ended becoming a millionaire? Or perhaps you mean people like Daniel Craig who slept on park benches in London for a while? Being homeless does not mean you can never be successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The global poor are slowly getting richer because real incomes (incomes adjusted for inflation) are increasing across most of the world. This is borne out in statistics showing less people earning below $1.25 per day and other statistics like falling global food poverty. China alone has taken half a billion out of absolute poverty.

Regulations in this country could be changed such that we had no homeless, no starving, that incomes would increase at a faster rate.. one does not need to tear down the system, simply regulate it in such a way that you extract maximum gain.
    That is so abstracted from the reality of what they are going through, as long as there are people suffering. whichever system it may be, has failed.

ReputationRep:
    That is so abstracted from the reality of what they are going through, as long as there are people suffering. whichever system it may be, has failed.
    I think you need to come to terms with two things. Firstly there will always be people who suffer, it's social Darwinism that the weak get preyed on. Secondly you need to become of a realist, no system will ever irradiate all human suffering and as one small island nation we have no responsibility to help the rest of the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    In most cases it is. Most war torn countries are that way because of their stupid religion. You mean homeless people like Chris Gardner who ended becoming a millionaire? Or perhaps you mean people like Daniel Craig who slept on park benches in London for a while? Being homeless does not mean you can never be successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are speaking about rare cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    I think you need to come to terms with two things. Firstly there will always be people who suffer, it's social Darwinism that the weak get preyed on. Secondly you need to become of a realist, no system will ever irradiate all human suffering and as one small island nation we have no responsibility to help the rest of the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The system must incorporate the maslow's hierachy of needs that we irradiate suffering for the most part. I don't need to lower my expectations...be "reality", it's you that must raise yours.

ReputationRep:
    The system must incorporate the maslow's hierachy of needs that we irradiate suffering for the most part. I don't need to lower my expectations...be "reality", it's you that must raise yours.
    Well I'm perfectly happy with how things are, certain people thrive and others don't so I don't need to raise my expectations. How does a political system include Maslow's hierarchy? How can it provide you with self esteem? Self actualisation? Love?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are speaking about rare cases.
    I can speak about some more if you want? The difference between the people became successful after being successful and those who are still homeless, apart from substance addiction, is talent and motivation. No one deserves to be homeless (unless they cause themselves to be) but those who have no talent don't deserve wealth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Well I'm perfectly happy with how things are, certain people thrive and others don't so I don't need to raise my expectations. How does a political system include Maslow's hierarchy? How can it provide you with self esteem? Self actualisation? Love?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well of course you are, that's why you want things to stay the same. I get that you don't think about the people who are suffering in this world, but others do and want something done about it. and saying this is how things are, does not cut it and it's not fair. It's not a dog eat dog world, that's just a primitive way of thinking.

because I would rather be governed by a happy, content person, they make better decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course you are, that's why you want things to stay the same. I get that you don't think about the people who are suffering in this world, but others do and want something done about it. and saying this is how things are, does not cut it and it's not fair. It's not a dog eat dog world, that's just a primitive way of thinking.

because I would rather be governed by a happy, content person, they make better decisions.
    We have charities for that, it's not our responsibility to help people other countries it's down to their governments.

David Cameron was born into a rich family then married into another and now has one of the most important jobs in the country, I'd imagine he's a pretty happy guy.

You also didn't answer my other question; how can the government provide you with certain elements of Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    We have charities for that, it's not our responsibility to help people other countries it's down to their governments.

David Cameron was born into a rich family then married into another and now has one of the most important jobs in the country, I'd imagine he's a pretty happy guy.

You also didn't answer my other question; how can the government provide you with certain elements of Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I speaking about the basics housing, food, water etc. obviously their not going to provide me with intimate relationships and respect of others.

Yeah well he's happily ignorant, that will not do. Charities are there to make a profit, for themselves. It is to a certain degree, we stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. If you were in their position, you would want the same.

ReputationRep:
    I speaking about the basics housing, food, water etc. obviously their not going to provide me with intimate relationships and respect of others.

Yeah well he's happily ignorant, that will not do. Charities are there to make a profit, for themselves. It is to a certain degree, we stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. If you were in their position, you would want the same.
    Well then don't say Maslow's hierarchy of needs if you just mean housing, food and water. By and large people in the UK have those things but there has to be a degree of independence from the state, you can't expect them to provide everything for you.

Obviously you're one those annoying sceptics that chooses to believe things with no credible evidence. We choose to, we don't have an obligation to. Well that's probably because I'd be uneducated and unintelligent, however if I was intelligent I would understand that it's not the responsibility of other people to pay taxes to help people they'll likely never meet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Well then don't say Maslow's hierarchy of needs if you just mean housing, food and water. By and large people in the UK have those things but there has to be a degree of independence from the state, you can't expect them to provide everything for you.

Obviously you're one those annoying sceptics that chooses to believe things with no credible evidence. We choose to, we don't have an obligation to. Well that's probably because I'd be uneducated and unintelligent, however if I was intelligent I would understand that it's not the responsibility of other people to pay taxes to help people they'll likely never meet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Intelligent or selfish. You may not kind selfless acts of kindness besotted on you, or others to help you out, but, you can't speak for everyone. What are you trying t say with that, I believe in a problem shared, is a problem halved. I'm rather nice actually.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent or selfish. You may not kind selfless acts of kindness besotted on you, or others to help you out, but, you can't speak for everyone. What are you trying t say with that, I believe in a problem shared, is a problem halved. I'm rather nice actually.
    But it's not a problem halved, it's a problem passed on entirely to someone else. You must have to ask how the UK alone can have spent billions trying to help poor countries yet most of them seem no better off

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.