Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrosia_angel)
    This is so true. I was doubtful as to whether I would reply to this thread or not. Arguing with trolls who will never express their feelings without the help of a keyboard is worthless in all honestly. I just thought I'd try and educate some people.
    I am black. I started this thread not to say that white supremacy, privilege and racism dont exist. This is not a troll thread. Racism is very much alive yes and i dont think it is ever going to go away. The aim of this thread was to talk about how we can improve the black image as blacks.

There are reports and i purposely did not reply to threads correleating blacks and low IQ'S. Those did not make sense. Seeing how blacks reacted to the micheal brown case enraged me. Yes the justice system failed in not getting that guy into jail because one bullet to the leg was enough the others were unnecessary. My problem is why was Micheal an apparently good boy doing robbing the store and why did blacks not address that part of the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekemini)
    Recently I saw a headline about a 16 year old 9th grader who attacked his elderly teacher over the fact that the teacher seized his phone. I clicked on the story going in to read it with no assumptions whatsoever. I read through it about how the student knocked the guy to ground and all I could think about was the fact that our education system has gone to **** and the morality level of young adults and kids are at an all time low.

Going further down to the comments, most of them were talking about the fact that they knew, even before they clicked on the story that the boy was black. I was beyond exasperated. The race issue is a very sensitive subject. Why does everything have to be about race? Why couldn't the comments focus on the fact that what he did was wrong and he should be punished for it? Some of them talked about poor upbringing and some linked poor upbringing to mainly the black community.

Yes the black community has some issues they have to deal with within themselves. We are becoming something of a nuisance to the world today. With our downfall in always blaming everything thing on racial discrimination instead of taking responsibility. Some of the comments even stated that this is the part Al Sharpton doesn't want the world to see but if it is a white on black they would cry foul and I agreed. During the Michael brown, Antonio, Eric case scenario I was beyond pissed with blacks. They did not want to hear the full story and even when evidence came out saying some witnesses statements were false they refused to back down. Especially with the Brown case where even today i don't think we know the full story.

Even with all that, my point is why do we stereotype races and make assumptions? Some of the comments were even giving statistics about how blacks make 10% of the population but have been proven to commit 47% of crimes. If that is a fact that then well like I stated before the black community needs to put a leash on the new generation and tell them to sit up. But if we are going to make assumptions then the next time a white guy walks into the cinema or my little cousins nursery school I should brace myself and start to make assumptions.
    If you read this in the daily mail then ignore the comments. The readership aren't the brightest generally speaking. I think you are mostly right. I think ethnic minorities need to stop blaming every personal failure on racial discrimination and the majority white population need to abandon latent prejudice.

Ethnic minorities do face discrimination in areas of employment, criminal justice etc and white folk like me need to recognise this and do something to change it. But both sides need to take responsibility. Young black men face discrimination during job applications but THEY need to stop giving up on themselves and white employers need to sit up and pay attention to their talents at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Even if it's true, so why do you pretend to care if our problem is NOT affecting your lot ? Do we go around raping, murderering and mugging other races as much as your lot ?
    Well yes we do..... Young black men are more likely to be arrested and convicted though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    If you read this in the daily mail then ignore the comments. The readership aren't the brightest generally speaking. I think you are mostly right. I think ethnic minorities need to stop blaming every personal failure on racial discrimination and the majority white population need to abandon latent prejudice.

Ethnic minorities do face discrimination in areas of employment, criminal justice etc and white folk like me need to recognise this and do something to change it. But both sides need to take responsibility. Young black men face discrimination during job applications but THEY need to stop giving up on themselves and white employers need to sit up and pay attention to their talents at the same time.
    The discrimination is built on a stereotype that has been well earned unfortunately, and any attempt out outside criticism just further increases the 'us/them' divide between the black community and neighbouring demographics.
    Which is understandable, but then other demographics are suffering the consequences and have the right to speak out without being shouted down as racist Nazis.

The change has to come from within or it will be rejected, we just aren't seeing that happen. Many countries have had the same problem and no success in dealing with it.
    With countries/states just turning into unmanageable places with next to no societal infrastructure, like Detroit and Chicago is speculated to go next.
    Frightening isn't the word considering Britain is set to be a white minority country by 2066.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    Well yes we do..... Young black men are more likely to be arrested and convicted though.
    You are suggesting the crime levels are the same irrespective of race, and the judicial system is inherently racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Oh god, you do know that some 'black ethnic groups' perform better than most other ethnic groups when taking exams in the UK.

This thread is full of generalisations, while failing to account for other factors. I'm absolutely certain, any middle class skilled African parent will have the same ideals as their white counterparts, yet some white people judge them as completely alien.

There is a very heavy emphasis on education within the African skilled migrant community, as there is within the Asian community and the White community. If you control for variables other than race you will find the difference negligible at best.

Obviously, I agree there are ghetto areas that give the 'black community' (we haven't defined this) a bad name, but its more the issue of ghettoization itself rather than the colour of said communities' skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know that not all Black ethnic groups are careless about education but according to statistics Black Caribbeans and Black Africans have the poorest academic performance in the UK. One such statistic is here, The % of the ethnic group achieving AAB and above for GCE A level.

White British: 7.4%
    Indian: 13.1%
    Pakistani: 6.3%
    Bangladeshi: 4.8%
    Black Carribean: 1.6%
    Black African: 3.7%
    Chinese: 23.5%

There are Black families that have huge emphasis on education especially the ones in Africa. Somalis are performing quite well in this country. As you said ghettos are reason why a lot of Blacks are up to no good. Black individuals will have a negative influence on other Black individuals and the fact that the Black Caribbean community has the highest proportion of single parent families is another contributing factor to their negative attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    I know that not all Black ethnic groups are careless about education but according to statistics Black Caribbeans and Black Africans have the poorest academic performance in the UK. One such statistic is here, The % of the ethnic group achieving AAB and above for GCE A level.

White British: 7.4%
    Indian: 13.1%
    Pakistani: 6.3%
    Bangladeshi: 4.8%
    Black Carribean: 1.6%
    Black African: 3.7%
    Chinese: 23.5%

There are Black families that have huge emphasis on education especially the ones in Africa. Somalis are performing quite well in this country. As you said ghettos are reason why a lot of Blacks are up to no good. Black individuals will have a negative influence on other Black individuals and the fact that the Black Caribbean community has the highest proportion of single parent families is another contributing factor to their negative attitude.
    Aren't Somalis more of a brown colour. I know a couple of Somalis that would be more than a little aggrieved at being called 'black'.

Don't you think a simple over arching answer might be a little more better suited, than an overly complex set of preconditions built on societal concepts that themselves are not understood enough to draw a correlation?

ReputationRep:
    1) The day we learn to judge an individual based on their actions rather than the colour of their skin or nationality

2) The day we learn that no race is better or worse and every race is equal

3) The day we learn to stop being proud of things that are not in control...you don't hear people saying that they are proud to be 5'9 so why are people so proud of their race when they have 0 say in what race they would belong to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnCrichton89)
    Aren't Somalis more of a brown colour. I know a couple of Somalis that would be more than a little aggrieved at being called 'black'.

Don't you think a simple over arching answer might be a little more better suited, than an overly complex set of preconditions built on societal concepts that themselves are not understood enough to draw a correlation?
    I live in a community where there are a lot of Somalis and other ethnic groups don't consider them as 'Black'. It actually annoys some Somalis and it's a bit funny sometimes.

There isn't any simple over arching answer to their behaviour and attitude. There are other ethnic groups that are also living in poverty and ghettos. The Black community just seem to have the worst record. Reason why I mentioned single parent families is because single mothers would find it hard to keep control of their children and teach them values of society, as expected. A lot of Black youth are spending a lot of their time outside with other Black youth and single mothers are unable to have much control over this.
    Single parent families aren't common in other ethnic minorities such as Bengalis and Pakistanis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    I live in a community where there are a lot of Somalis and other ethnic groups don't consider them as 'Black'. It actually annoys some Somalis and it's a bit funny sometimes.

There isn't any simple over arching answer to their behaviour and attitude. There are other ethnic groups that are also living in poverty and ghettos. The Black community just seem to have the worst record. Reason why I mentioned families single parent families is because single mothers would find it hard to keep control of their children and teach them values of society, as expected. A lot of Black youth are spending a lot of their time outside with other Black youth and single mothers are unable to have much control over this.
    Single parent families aren't common in other ethnic minorities such as Bengalis and Pakistanis.
    But you have entered a circular argument, the problem is singe parent families which causes single parent families.

A simple over arching cause could be racial IQ, which can cause young single parent families.
    We see from these groups that there are noticeable physical differences, not just in skin colour but physical characteristics, which is the bases of racial categorisation. Correlating with other racial sub groups of similar appearance.

With the exception of the sub divided Indian region which suffers from a vastly different societal infrastructure, with the better of the two groups adopting theirs from a different race during British colonialism.
    Suggesting that racial IQ can be addressed with different implications of education based on race.

India took the British education/judicial/democracy and adapted it so they would benefit the most from it. Pakistan created a theocracy that greatly excluded outside influence.

EDIT; Been up for 24 hours so I'm not sure if I'm making sense, could probably word that better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simply93)
    1) The day we learn to judge an individual based on their actions rather than the colour of their skin or nationality

2) The day we learn that no race is better or worse and every race is equal

3) The day we learn to stop being proud of things that are not in control...you don't hear people saying that they are proud to be 5'9 so why are people so proud of their race when they have 0 say in what race they would belong to.
    I agree with what you are saying but i am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing to the OP

ReputationRep:
    You are suggesting the crime levels are the same irrespective of race, and the judicial system is inherently racist?
    I study criminology and did an essay on this a few weeks back and it appears that the judicial system IS inherently racist although not consciously. Ethnic minorities are over represented in the judicial system for sure. If a white working class man and a black working class man appeared in a courtroom charged with the same offence. All things being equal the black working class man would tend to given a harsher prison sentence.

Ethnic minorities are also over represented in socially deprived areas. These areas are more heavily policed so it stands to reason that ethnic minority criminals are far more likely to be processed through the justice system than a white middle class coke snorter in an under policed suburb.

Therefore it stands to reason that white people may well be committing just as much crime to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    I study criminology and did an essay on this a few weeks back and it appears that the judicial system IS inherently racist although not consciously. Ethnic minorities are over represented in the judicial system for sure. If a white working class man and a black working class man appeared in a courtroom charged with the same offence. All things being equal the black working class man would tend to given a harsher prison sentence.

Ethnic minorities are also over represented in socially deprived areas. These areas are more heavily policed so it stands to reason that ethnic minority criminals are far more likely to be processed through the justice system than a white middle class coke snorter in an under policed suburb.

Therefore it stands to reason that white people may well be committing just as much crime to be honest
    Might I be so bold as to ask for some statistical data that makes reference to actual cases?

ReputationRep:
    Might I be so bold as to ask for some statistical data that makes reference to actual cases?

Sure. I'd also recommend you having a flick through a copy of the British crime survey.
    It suggest ethnic minorities are far more likely to be victims than criminals but I can't link you over the web
    http://www.irr.org.uk/research/stati...minal-justice/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)

Sure. I'd also recommend you having a flick through a copy of the British crime survey.
    It suggest ethnic minorities are far more likely to be victims than criminals but I can't link you over the web
    http://www.irr.org.uk/research/stati...minal-justice/
    Thanks, I'll give it a read and probably give you a message back if I disagree with your interpretation............ if you don't mind.

That sounded pretentious, I am by no means considering myself an authority or that you need/want my approval lol. Just that you throwing into the arena of the public forum meant feedback was welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll give it a read and probably give you a message back if I disagree with your interpretation............ if you don't mind.

That sounded pretentious, I am by no means considering myself an authority or that you need/want my approval lol. Just that you throwing into the arena of the public forum meant feedback was welcome.
    I know what you meant and dw debate is healthy lol.

ReputationRep:

I know somalians who are darker than me and I'm black. They in my opinion are black. Their culture just resembles more closely to those of the middle east as opposed to those in africa. But they are african and dark skinned so they are black.

ReputationRep:
    I am black. I started this thread not to say that white supremacy, privilege and racism dont exist. This is not a troll thread. Racism is very much alive yes and i dont think it is ever going to go away. The aim of this thread was to talk about how we can improve the black image as blacks.

There are reports and i purposely did not reply to threads correleating blacks and low IQ'S. Those did not make sense. Seeing how blacks reacted to the micheal brown case enraged me. Yes the justice system failed in not getting that guy into jail because one bullet to the leg was enough the others were unnecessary. My problem is why was Micheal an apparently good boy doing robbing the store and why did blacks not address that part of the case.
    I wasn't saying you were a troll. I was referring to John crichton and others.

He wasn't a good boy. I feel that black men have more than enough opportunity to express themselves in a positive manner. Black men have 10X more positive media role models of themselves compared to black women yet we still have the issues of high crime rates amongst them. In all honesty it starts at intervening in communities and looking at how people look at themselves. Black men are sadly known by women of all races, to dismiss black women... To the point that many black women feel the need(!) search for partners outside of their race. This again is also proven in the mainstream media. This suggests to me that there is a large scale self hatred thing going on in communities. Not to mention the fact that amongst black women there is also a lot of self hatred to.

My feeling is that these feelings of self-hate are whats stunting our moving forward. I do feel like for black women this is changing a lot with new natural hair movement but it only touches a minute fraction of the issues we suffer within the community. This can be fixed with a variety of positive role models (NOT including the over-sexualised music industry. You don't look at the person you only see the body) in hollywood mainly and changing the way we look in the mirror and at other black people.

ReputationRep:
    lol the full story was all about race...it weren't because the teacher seized his phone. When I first saw the picture I was disgusted but then found out it was because the teacher said take off your hoodie- you're gonna be the next black guy shot..something like that..who says that bs... :/ -im against violence but if you've been affected by racism/discrimination you wouldn't say its just words. Its a sensitive issue. That was an unneeded insensitive remark. A teacher should know better. Especially in the USA- after this past year with all the spotlight on the murders of various innocent black teens. And well unfortunately everything is about race..white privilege is real and although its not as bad as before minorities still are not treated equally..it will always be about race until people stop being racist *******s...which will never happen. Racist parents teach their kids that racism is ok. People also need to stop saying black people use the 'black card' its a disgusting dismissal :/

ReputationRep:
    I am not being silly. I am not scared to acknowledge that their is white supremacy but pointing fingers is not going to help anybody. And it is sure as hell not going to help the black image that has been dragged through the mud. Martin Luther did not fight for our rights only for us to abuse it. I never said racism would go away if black people acted right because unfortunately racism may never go away and no matter how much we talk about white supremacy I think there would always be white privilege. My concern is the black people should help their image and their youth. Even though it may not stop racism at least it would give racists an excuse to say that Abraham Lincoln should never have released us because we will forever act like barbarians and the monkeys from the bush they believed us to be.

There are too many disturbing reports about the black community and while I think its pointless to fight racism(cause some people just have a heart full of hatred and I will never understand why) we should do something about our image to people. I don't care about the white supremacy cause caring is not going to change anything about it, I care about my people who just cannot see that they are destroying themselves
    You are deflecting and changing the subject.

It's the old "Yeah sure, black people get screwed, but black people are screwed up anyway"
    When a husband beats his wife. His violence is blamed on her: if dinner was on time, if the house was cleaner, etc, then he would not have to hit her.

Is the woman perfect? No. Does she have faults? Yes. Should she do better. Of course.

But it is also besides the point.

Even if she were perfect, her troubles would not go away. Because he would be unchanged.
    What black people do is not the heart of the matter and, given how things are, it only feeds the racism – both white racism and internalized black racism.

Further, most pathologies are driven by white racism itself. To me, talking about what black people are doing wrong, lets white racism off the hook and is used an excuse for racists to keep on doing what they have been.

The black community is no more perfect than anyone else, but pointing fingers about how messed up we are, while ignoring the own mote in their eye is self-serving and black people need to recognize this.

Your attention appears to be skewed in one direction. In the case of so called Black pathologies its Black people.

Yes… By all means have the discussion about why so many Black people appear to be caught up in perceived negative social and economic disorders.

But if you are also not prepared to focus the same attention discussing the perceived causes, (i.e racism and its effects on both the abuser and the abused) then you are either being disingenuous or not really serious.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.