• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Yeah I wish we had focused on exam content to be honest, but I'd still rather be doing unrelated history than art :P
    (Or I'm sure the artists would rather be doing unrelated art than history)
    Artist and historian checking in :cool:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    What did you pick? :woo:
    I picked French, History and Geography (Business Studies as a reserve).

ReputationRep:
    Artist and historian checking in :cool:
    I forgot you can study art history :lol:

You get my gist though...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Haha, good detective work!
    She was doing the work on the dining room table so wasn't exactly detective work :giggle:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    The thread is aliiiiiive :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone handed in their options forms now? My little brother's in year 9 and I think he has :yep:
    At our school we have until beginning of April to hand it in, but you are allowed to bring it in this Friday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatespirometers)
    Do you choose your options in year 9?

Mine was in year 8, weird...
    My friend picked hers in year 8, they are starting their GCSE in year 9 (next year).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh look I've been quoted in yay

I take geography and business, so can say a little about that..

Business: (copied from what I said a few pages back)
    My best subject, yay. To be honest, it is quite simple, although the exam technique is pretty difficult I find. In year 10 when you do unit one (small businesses) it is pretty basic stuff. Although year 11 is much more difficult, which is nice (focusing on large/growing businesses). Like history though, long questions are key in business. 9 mark questions will become the bane of your life. We do about one a lesson, they are painful to do, and really difficult to get full marks on. I'm probably making it sound like a really crappy subject but I find it pretty enjoyable

(edit: Coursework I found pretty interesting again. In terms of writing, I think I did 4000 words... Or might have been 5000, can't remember. So there's a fair bit to do. Despite this most of our class managed at least 30/40 (myself doing 38/40... Hella yeah) so generally you should be looking at a good grade. Our topic was to evaluate the customer service of a chosen business and suggest improvements.)

As it's a subject I assume you haven't done before, my suggestion would be to go to AQA/OCR (whoever your board is) website and look at past papers, see if they seem relatively appealing to you. Having now completed the spec and started revising, there are definitely parts I enjoyed much more than others but it is pretty wide. For example if you enjoy maths, finance should appeal to you (particularly year 11 finance. Found that pretty difficult+interesting).

Geography I'm not going to lie I am not a big fan of, but that's just personal preference. Also don't have a great teacher which probably influences it a bit too. Basically on AQA you do three human and three physical topics. I would say human is generally quite easy to grasp, but with quite hard exam technique (and I think business helps a lot here actually). For example we do tourism, sustainable urban environments... And another I forgot (whoops.).

Physical is much more difficult I think, and is pretty much pure knowledge. Again we do rivers, coasts and "restless Earth" (ie volcanoes, earthquakes and mountain formations). This is a little more interesting, but you need to know a lot about key words and how things a formed. I'm sure every paper I've done involves a "how is a xx formed".

Finally the coursework (25% I believe). This for us consisted of a field trip to Dorset (which was one of the most tedious days of my school life.. But that's due to our school, not the subject) and we had to collect information regarding tourism. Just finished it actually. It was quite fun to write up, particularly as I enjoy essays. Although there is a fair amount of writing. I did 5,000 words I believe that's in the lower end of my class too (for those aiming A/A* anyway).

Can't really think of much more to say... Any questions, shoot
    Thank you for the advice, I enjoy geography more than history. I get high levels in geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    I picked French, History and Geography (Business Studies as a reserve).
    Ah nice we got 4 options when we did ours :holmes:

I forgot you can study art history :lol:

You get my gist though...
    Well, I took art and history as two separate subjects, but yeah
    I only carried history on to AS though
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    She was doing the work on the dining room table so wasn't exactly detective work :giggle:
    Ahh, cheating were you?
    (Original post by RXMXXKX)
    At our school we have until beginning of April to hand it in, but you are allowed to bring it in this Friday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are you picking?

ReputationRep:
    Never choose BTEC Product Design, I've put so much work in to it and in still on track for just a Pass

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice we got 4 options when we did ours :holmes:

Well, I took art and history as two separate subjects, but yeah
    I only carried history on to AS though

Ahh, cheating were you?

What are you picking?
    I'm picking
    Spanish
    Geography
    Sports science
    Drama( still a bit unsure)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Ahh, cheating were you?
    I don't cheat :angel:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who doesn't hate coursework? I just fly through it.. We had to do an essay of 2000 words and did it in 1 hour (fast typer) just writing what was on my mind and got an 8+ (8a)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIS200)
    Am I the only person who doesn't hate coursework? I just fly through it.. We had to do an essay of 2000 words and did it in 1 hour (fast typer) just writing what was on my mind and got an 8+ (8a)!
    Wow, well done! Have you got any advice as I'm starting my GCSE's next year :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only started mine this year but.. Keep your head down, concentrate 70-75% of the time to get a pass (that's what my teacher told me) but i just concentrate all the time now.. Keep on top of homework as it creeps up on you and make your work look neat so it's easy to revise from 😏

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only started mine this year but.. Keep your head down, concentrate 70-75% of the time to get a pass (that's what my teacher told me) but i just concentrate all the time now.. Keep on top of homework as it creeps up on you and make your work look neat so it's easy to revise from 😏

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thank you! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    The bad news is that you'll be doing the new style GCSEs for some subjects with no coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Oh shame, was doing practice coursework in some subjects!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Hate coursework, find it depressing :nothing: How did you do it so quick? :eek: Guessing you planned/wrote a draft beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    I just had a list of criteria, wrote my base text and then filled in the criteria where applicable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.