I'm told parliament breaks up...
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'm told parliament breaks up...
Parliament was dissolved at midnight this morning.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Parliament was dissolved at midnight this morning.
I was lied to someone told me 5 PM today.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I was lied to someone told me 5 PM today.
Nope, it's traditionally dissolved by the Queen at the request of the PM, but with the fixed term parliament is happened automatically and Cameron's visit earlier to the Queen earlier was to inform her it's been dissolved.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Nope, it's traditionally dissolved by the Queen at the request of the PM, but with the fixed term parliament is happened automatically and Cameron's visit earlier to the Queen earlier was to inform her it's been dissolved.
So the queen has less power now?? So is Cameron now not PM??
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
He isn't even an MP, unemployed for a few weeks.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
He isn't even an MP, unemployed for a few weeks.
Well at least he's not on benifits... Or is he??? Could he claim unemployment benifits?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Well at least he's not on benifits... Or is he??? Could he claim unemployment benifits?
possibly, unless he holds some other position
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Two of the 4 polls in the past two days have the Tories on 36%.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
possibly, unless he holds some other position
Would imagine he has savings and investments. You can't claim if your over a certain amount.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Actually I believe he is still PM (don't quote me), but isn't an MP. I remember Brown claiming to still be the PM after the results of 2010 elections as no-one got a majority and so was still PM until the new government was formed.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Hmm... I'm not quite sure how it works, but I believe he is still employed by the Conservative party, so I'm going to go with, no.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
Hmm... I'm not quite sure how it works, but I believe he is still employed by the Conservative party, so I'm going to go with, no.
But is that not a volentary role? I thought party leaders didn't get paid...
(Original post by talentedlobster)
Actually I believe he is still PM (don't quote me), but isn't an MP. I remember Brown claiming to still be the PM after the results of 2010 elections as no-one got a majority and so was still PM until the new government was formed.
so he's PM with no power? Or could if there were a war to break out, he recall parliament?
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
so he's PM with no power? Or could if there were a war to break out, he recall parliament?
The Parliament of 2010 no longer exists and as such cannot be recalled. However, as Prime Minister and Head of Government, Cameron can still respond to any urgent crisis without the need for Parliamentary debate on the matter. Basically, if **** goes to the fan in the next couple of months we've got a constitutional nightmare with the new, longer gap between Parliaments.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
The Parliament of 2010 no longer exists and as such cannot be recalled. However, as Prime Minister and Head of Government, Cameron can still respond to any urgent crisis without the need for Parliamentary debate on the matter. Basically, if **** goes to the fan in the next couple of months we've got a constitutional nightmare with the new, longer gap between Parliaments.
It's longer??? So what happens if we can't hold the election for some reson?? If there is no parliament and we have to go to war or something... (Which we can't do without parliamentary concent) the country is doomed!
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It's longer??? So what happens if we can't hold the election for some reson?? If there is no parliament and we have to go to war or something... (Which we can't do without parliamentary concent) the country is doomed!
We can go to war without Parliamentary consent. Blair started a trend of asking them, but the Prime Minister is perfectly entitled to get the Queen to declare war on whoever, whenever. And yeah, it's longer because of the provisions of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
We can go to war without Parliamentary consent. Blair started a trend of asking them, but the Prime Minister is perfectly entitled to get the Queen to declare war on whoever, whenever. And yeah, it's longer because of the provisions of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.
But brown gave up that power... Didn't he? I thought he gave it to the commons.

ohhh, this is the first GE I'll remember (might stand in the next) but I don't see the point of that seing as the next parliament can just repeal it...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
The Royal Prerogative still applies so anything he could have legally done without parliamentary approval during the term, he can still do now.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When's the TSR election? No need for Royal Prerogative there, as it is no more in TSR land.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Government still governs, he is still PM.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads