Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put for the "How does the brain monitor body temperature?" Was it a vaso-dilation or thermo regulatory question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hklsdflhks)
    the question about the ivy leaves experiment I found the hardest in the whole thing. .....
    I looked at it and thought "ok, I've failed" but read it carefully and I actually think I put a decent answer. Hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolimcrazybro)
    What did everyone put for the "How does the brain monitor body temperature?" Was it a vaso-dilation or thermo regulatory question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thermoregulatory- blood vessels supplying skin capillaries dilate so more blood flow- radiates heat. sweat= cools you down etc. And I also mentions skin receptors...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolimcrazybro)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thermoregulatory centre monitors the temperature. Vaso Dilation is a response so no I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    Thermoregulatory centre monitors the temperature. Vaso Dilation is a response so no I'm afraid
    I thought so. I talked about the thermoregulatory centre and how there were receptors in the skin that sent impulses to the brain about the temperature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
    I thought so. I talked about the thermoregulatory centre and how there were receptors in the skin that sent impulses to the brain about the temperature.
    That's what I put to as it was monitoring, not its response! The thermoregulatory centre monitors it using information from receptors in the brain and receptors in the skin I think.

ReputationRep:
    You guys said it was 705:224 right? I don't see how it was 3:1

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer about the circulatory system sending things around the body and the question below it?

ReputationRep:
    i initially wrote the original numbers and then crossed it out to 3:1 to simplify it.. now i kinda think it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    That's rounded, technically you could say 3.13:1 but I don't know if you can put decimals as ratios?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryrwx)
    But if it was absorbing sugar molecules then how can it be osmosis at the same time?
    I wrote that the sugar molecules diffused from the high concentration (outside the egg) to the low concentration (inside the egg) which is why it gained mass. The question didn't state if it was in a solution of water or not so I was hesitant to state that it was osmosis. I think I got it wrong anyway...
    To be honest mate I don't think I got all the marks. This is the only question in the whole test I struggled with and everyone else I know did too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUglyBarnacle)
    That's rounded, technically you could say 3.13:1 but I don't know if you can put decimals as ratios?
    I don't think so but there have been past papers which do. It was a very stupid question to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so but there have been past papers which do. It was a very stupid question to be honest.
    the grade boundaries will be low and b3 was really easy so im not fussed in the slightest to be honest, b1 is always easy too.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone forget the question on the back of the paper because i did ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willclegg7)
    Was the 6 marker to do with advantages and disdvantages of both the valves? Or just advantages and disadvantages of the artificial valve?
    It was 'Compare the advantages and disadvantages of a living human heart valve and an artificial heart valve'
    They also gave you a few points on each one e.g. 'The artificial heart valve is made out of very hard plastic'
    Stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, further additional paper had the egg question and the artificial vs. real valves. Separate/triple had the balloon question and cow vs. real valves. Now can we stop telling people they've got it wrong. Thanks.

EDIT: These are both for the higher papers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it said cow vs human too! :/
    did you do foundation?

ReputationRep:
    Advantages and disadvantages of artificial heart valves in comparison to human heart valves

ReputationRep:
    am I the only one that found b3 really hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emileepifanoff)
    It was 'Compare the advantages and disadvantages of a living human heart valve and an artificial heart valve'
    They also gave you a few points on each one e.g. 'The artificial heart valve is made out of very hard plastic'
    Stuff like that.

Did you have to use comparative language for example 'whereas' 'however' or...would listing advantages and disadvantages of the artificial heart valve in continuous prose be enough to gain all 6 marks? I included 3 advantages and 3 disadvantages.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.