Turn on thread page Beta

What makes people athiests? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Yes it makes you very illogical and irrational since bad things happening does not prove God does not exist. This argument by atheists is yet another really silly one they make. I don't expect you as an atheist to understand why so once again beleive what you want but if you start disrespecting religious people then obviously we will do the same but we don't care your an atheist.
    That argument is a response to the religious equivalence of 'God and good', not an attempt to prove the impossibility of a God.

My uncle died at 40 right because of a brain tumor. Nicest guy ever - helped every single person he knew etc etc.

Some of my family were heavily religious (shout out to the people who have curam in Scotland!). They however couldn't love or deal with the idea of God. Because how on earth could there be a God if that had happened?

I get that religious people are fed up with "If God exists then why does so much bad crap happen?" but we're fed up of getting the even more crappy answer "God works in mysterious ways."

My family couldn't believe in God anymore because even if he did exist - the fact that this horrific thing had happened meant that if he did exist they wanted nothing to do with him. And living their lives blaming some unseen all knowing entity would drive them insane.

Note: I am and always have been atheist. This just further cemented my beliefs.

Just to add something to the mix here - Christians can live in harmony with scientists.
    My physics teacher (he's an ******* but that's besides the point) is a firm Big Bang Theory believer but "how did the big bang start?" and his answer is God. Chem teacher's the same.
    Made me cringe typing that because it's completely against my views but it's a pretty good concept for religious people.

Also are you not aware that Pope Francis - the fricken pope guys - agrees that the Big bang happened?!

“The big bang, which is today posited as the origin of the world, does not contradict the divine act of creation; rather, it requires it,” the pope said in an address to a meeting at the pontifical academy of sciences.
    “Evolution of nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation because evolution presupposes the creation of beings which evolve.”

“When we read the creation story in Genesis we run the risk of imagining that God was a magician, with a magic wand which is able to do everything,” he said.
    “But it is not so. He created beings and let them develop according to internal laws which He gave every one, so they would develop, so they would reach maturity.”

Popes before him have also said that– with certain provisos – there is no incompatibility between evolution and God as divine creator.

Link
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/28/pope-says-evolution-and-creation-both-right

ReputationRep:
    Yes it makes you very illogical and irrational since bad things happening does not prove God does not exist. This argument by atheists is yet another really silly one they make. I don't expect you as an atheist to understand why so once again beleive what you want but if you start disrespecting religious people then obviously we will do the same but we don't care your an atheist.
    Sure, you're entitled to believe what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexicvegie)
    Your problem is that the imaginary bit is a matter of opinion. Also it's not unusual for someone to believe what they are told, shown, etc atheism does not involve any form of visions or associated psychosis. Especially when the 'big bang' theory is discussed IN SCHOOLS.

The only thing you are achieving is to make the TSR community think you are (and I apologise for the political inaccuracy) 'a religious nutter' who is too far gone to be reasoned with.

over and out
    No it's not atheists always bring in imaginary arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodies)
    "Winning an argument against a smart person is hard. Winning an argument against a stupid person is damn near impossible" - some guy.
    That's what it's like for me arguing against these lunatics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    OP as a fanatical Labour loon and now a religious nutcase somewhat lacks credibility in my opinion
    Typical conservative. I have a different political view from you so that means you a're better than me.

Continue youbsoteading of hatred you fascists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Nice trolling.
    Typical response from someone that can't refute their claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngb9320)
    No it's not atheists always bring in imaginary arguments.
    The argument function can't be imaginary. The argument of a complex number of the form r = a + bi is defined as tan\theta =  \dfrac{b}{a}, where a and b are real numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    The argument function can't be imaginary. The argument of a complex number of the form r = a + bi is defined as tan\theta =  \dfrac{b}{a}, where a and b are real numbers.
    Stop trying to be clever it doesn't suit you atheist

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to be clever it doesn't suit you atheist
    I have to be trying to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eirinbeese)
    Just to add something to the mix here - Christians can live in harmony with scientists.
    My physics teacher (he's an ******* but that's besides the point) is a firm Big Bang Theory believer but "how did the big bang start?" and his answer is God. Chem teacher's the same.
    Made me cringe typing that because it's completely against my views but it's a pretty good concept for religious people.

Also are you not aware that Pope Francis - the fricken pope guys - agrees that the Big bang happened?!

[/B]
    [/B]
    [/B]
    [/B]http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/28/pope-says-evolution-and-creation-both-right
    It's all well and good saying this now though but this is just God of the gaps.

At first it was "God made the universe" when there wasn't a scientific answer to how the universe was created. Now it's "God started the Big Bang". What'll happen when/if scientists discover what happened before the big bang? One day there will surely be no gaps for God to hide in.

(Original post by joecoulburn)
    It's all well and good saying this now though but this is just God of the gaps.

At first it was "God made the universe" when there wasn't a scientific answer to how the universe was created. Now it's "God started the Big Bang". What'll happen when/if scientists discover what happened before the big bang? One day there will surely be no gaps for God to hide in.
    That literally made no sense. Whatsoever. Like... gaps? what gap is God hiding in? Surely if there was a God he wouldn't be bloody hiding in a gap.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are getting so idiotic at trying to explain the beginning of the universe (scientists and religious people)
    It has happened were around be happy, If the thought of god can happen then religion is real , Love everyone even if they are mean to you free will is an illusion and we all are immortal , make you immortal life count by loving all , and always being positive eventually you shall find a place of eternal heaven. Also the big bang is a theory , theory also change with more evidence

ReputationRep:
    Atheist are illogical, irrational and nonsensical. They love talking about Big Bang theory as if it proves their is not a God. I don't care if they're atheist but they are constantly disrespecting religious people and trying to prove God does not exist. They are vile.
    I have never met or heard of an atheist using the big bang theory as an argument for God not existing. Atheism isn't the belief in no God. You talk about respect but then you personally attack them as 'vile.'

Btw saying illogical, irrational and nonsensical is a tautology (they are synonymous):rolleyes:

Now stop raging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    That's...not what scien- urgh, what's even the point.
    It is tho .. or are you denying the big bang ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eirinbeese)
    That literally made no sense. Whatsoever. Like... gaps? what gap is God hiding in? Surely if there was a God he wouldn't be bloody hiding in a gap.
    God of the Gaps is a fallacy commonly used by theists, in which they attribute God or God's power to current "gaps" in our knowledge. So in the past for example, "Oh we don't know how lightning happens, therefore it must be God!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

ReputationRep:
    Typical response from someone that can't refute their claims.
    I did refute claims. The response I got was "That is bullsh1t". How can you come back from that? If you want to debate that is fine, but if you are just going label everything as bull, what is the point?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist simply because I do not trust the human race to tell the truth.

I need irrefutable proof that satisfies my own criteria, not the word of a few in a time where people were 'simpler'.

(Original post by EdmundWoodstock)
    God of the Gaps is a fallacy commonly used by theists, in which they attribute God or God's power to current "gaps" in our knowledge. So in the past for example, "Oh we don't know how lightning happens, therefore it must be God!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps
    Weird that. I wrote an essay on the science behind the occurrence of lighting when I was 12. I'm hoping they still don't believe that particular example.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.