Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What did people write about for two contrasting coastal defences??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe.17)
    What did people write about for two contrasting coastal defences??
    i wrote about hard engineering-groynes and soft engineering-beach nourishment, but then wasnt sure if it meant managed retreat or advance the line so wrote about that too, think i completely messed that one up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamieb272)
    I thought that it was okay, the first question on the crowded coasts side was weird and I basically wrote a load of crap. However I do have a very serious question, does it matter if I didn't cross the section i completed? I know I crossed the crowded coasts section but I'm worried I didnt for the rebranding places.
    I don't think it matters as long as you only did two sections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liv1234567)
    i wrote about hard engineering-groynes and soft engineering-beach nourishment, but then wasnt sure if it meant managed retreat or advance the line so wrote about that too, think i completely messed that one up
    Yeah I thought that was what it meant but I wasn't taught a soft engineering example so I just did managed retreat and hold the line which I think was completely wrong😭 I really messed up

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought that was what it meant but I wasn't taught a soft engineering example so I just did managed retreat and hold the line which I think was completely wrong😭 I really messed up
    hopefully we will pick up some marks for it, luckily i'm resitting it so have a C in unit 2 to fall back on if i fail it this year

ReputationRep:
    I did exactly the same defences

Although, as far as I know, managed retreat and advance the line are coastal defence strategies.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you would use those 2 (along with 'hold the line' and 'do nothing') if a question asked about defence strategies instead of defences. :dong:

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

It shouldn't matter if u didnt cross the boxes, they'l be able to figure it out

That aside what did people mention on the first 10marker to do with competition causing pressure...

ReputationRep:
    what was that question on coastal pressures the 15 mark one, we didn't do stuff on that...

ReputationRep:
    i wrote about hard engineering-groynes and soft engineering-beach nourishment
    same.

ReputationRep:
    No managed retreat is a coastal defence For soft engineering, the strategy is called retreating the line

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone reckon I'll be okay if I wrote about two contrasting hard engineering strategies?

I did Mappleton's rock groynes and the positives and negatives (cost, effectiveness, long-lasting etc.) and Withernsea's recurved sea wall with the same sort of development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KommunistCake)
    I did exactly the same defences

Although, as far as I know, managed retreat and advance the line are coastal defence strategies.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you would use those 2 (along with 'hold the line' and 'do nothing' if a question asked about defence strategies instead of defences. :dong:
    burst my bubble? i said i think i messed up, didnt say i wrote a perfect answer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    burst my bubble? i said i think i messed up, didnt say i wrote a perfect answer
    No managed retreat is a coastal defence For soft engineering, the strategy is called retreating the line, in my textbook managed retreat is labelled as a defence

ReputationRep:
    For my two fieldwork and research questions, I used two different places to say where I went to conduct my investigation, does that matter?

ReputationRep:
    Is 'advance the line' a defence strategy????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor3)
    Does anyone reckon I'll be okay if I wrote about two contrasting hard engineering strategies?

I did Mappleton's rock groynes and the positives and negatives (cost, effectiveness, long-lasting etc.) and Withernsea's recurved sea wall with the same sort of development.

They keyword would be contrasting, i think you misinterpreted it, soft engineering and hard are complete opposites, most opposite than sea walls and groynes which are both catergorised under hard. Im sure the examiner will be sympathetic and award for you for talking about hard engineering but maybe not the other 50% awarded for the contrasting soft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    No managed retreat is a coastal defence For soft engineering, the strategy is called retreating the line
    Oh my gosh really??! Hopefully I'll have managed to get some marks then! I hate this exam

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about salt marshes as a soft engineering technique as the plants called cordigrass trap the sediment. Have I messed that up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    MY school found it atrocious.

And the dumb q about culture. We only learnt one case study so I was screwed when I saw it said examples

Also pressures of what like wth
    ugh officially failed both geo papers and wasted so much time on it.
    Loool

I made one up about a library in birmingham built on brownfield site and how it attracted student accommodation to the area. Therefore, attracting bars, shops etc and investment into the area.

I had rural culture and heritage stuff but no urban one's.......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.