Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    For 8A would using the directrix be a valid method to prove it?
    please look at post 72!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessyJoy)
    There's no "i" in an argument, you do tan^-1(imaginary part / real part) but not with "i" in the imaginary part
    He meant pi not I...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IvoryToast)
    We can hope so...
    But personally this paper was a lot easier than last year and that had higher grade boundaries
    You thought last year was harder? The only remotely difficult part of last year's paper was finding the area of the triangle, and even that wasn't as bad as question 8 this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Here you go FP1 fans

I thought that was quite tricky in places.

I doubt I have used the most efficient methods as mine seemed too long on a couple.

Boundaries, no idea, probably a bit lower than normal.
    Okay so I just realised I smashed this paper barring question 8b and 8c. For 8b i made a silly sign slip when solving my simultaneous equations.Okay could someone please tell me... for question 8b the eight marker...it said you had to find tangets at P and Q and hence find R.I found up to the tangents of P and Q correct and then solved simultaneously (however made a really silly sign slip when solving simultaneously). What mark would I get out of 8? and then for part C, I went with the [wrong] coordinates I had of R from part b and attempted to find the distance SR then square it. I evaluated SP x SQ and stated what it equal to. Would there by any method marks in this? I'm expecting around 70/75 what UMS would this be?

(Original post by Mattematics)
    You thought last year was harder? The only remotely difficult part of last year's paper was finding the area of the triangle, and even that wasn't as bad as question 8 this year.
    I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday let alone an FP1 paper I did 12 months ago. So no idea. Have a look at the FP1 thread from last year, see what I thought at the time. If you look in my profile, my stats, posts started by me..,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday let alone an FP1 paper I did 12 months ago. So no idea. Have a look at the FP1 thread from last year, see what I thought at the time. If you look in my profile, my stats, posts started by me..,
    I was replying to IvoryToast

ReputationRep:
    Arsey, will you be doing S3?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Arsey, can you please upload M3 as well? Thanks a lot for this one!

ReputationRep:
    Man... I got y=3p^2-3q^2/p-q and didn't notice you could simplify it. Subbed that into x and got an in simplified version of that too.

anyone have any idea how many it'd be worth? I'm guessing 5 marks, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks if I didn't make stupid mistakes I should get 100 ums . One question using (3-3p^2)^2 and (0-6p)^2 is fine right?

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries ideas???? I messed up big time for whole of q8. Anyone else

ReputationRep:
    65 is good or bad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot Arsey
    Hope u can do the same with S3

Hopefully 100 UMS for my son
    He thinks grade boundaries will be higher
    Also he achieved early A* by getting
    above 90% at AS
    Bring on S3

ReputationRep:
    is 61 good

ReputationRep:
    thought it was a fairly standard paper, nothing really difficult on it. I dont see why people didnt like question 8? similar stuff has been on papers before, first part is pythagorus, second is normal tangents meeting stuff and third is just subbing stuff in. Not sure what i did with last proof by induction but think i only lost about 2 marks on that bit hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    For the question about finding the vertices of T, do you think they'll give full marks for getting the right answers regardless of the method?

ReputationRep:
    For 8a, I stated PS=PQ(being the directrix). I stated distance from y axis to Q = 3, & distance from P to y axis = 3p^2. Then distance PQ= 3+3p^2 --> 3(1+p^2). Would I get any marks for this?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I don't think I've lost many marks, but the last question I've probably lost 1/2 on (I couldn't get past the 3(p^2q^2 + p^2 + q^2 + 1 stage), but I got far.

I also think I may have lost one or two on the PBI, I don't recall putting the summation back into the form with k+1 in, I definitely did with the matrix one.
    So that may lose 2 marks as the last one is usually only awarded if the previous x marks are? I think.
    So I reckon somewhere around 70, so about the same as C1.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Arsey! I think I got pretty much everything correct apart from the Argand Diagram. Does anyone know if you get marked down for not putting actual values on the graph, and just draw the lines of the complex numbers?

(Original post by πππ)
    For 8a, I stated PS=PQ(being the directrix). I stated distance from y axis to Q = 3, & distance from P to y axis = 3p^2. Then distance PQ= 3+3p^2 --> 3(1+p^2). Would I get any marks for this?
    That should get you full marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.