Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    It would be amazing, I'd slap that on my CV where ever I go. Uhm some pretty average UNIs, not any Russel groups.
    Ah cool

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Aiming for an A* is like moving from 0 - 100. I got a D overall last year in computing. However, but I turned everything around this year . I just sat my Comp1 paper yesterday and I think I did better than last year, sitting Comp2 again tomorrow so that should be good. Averaging B on Comp2 past papers. I got an A (1 mark of A*) in Comp4, and I'm also averaging B on all my past Comp3 papers.

So, I'd like to think a A* is possible but I just don't know. An A* would be SOLID, An A would be great too. It would be a great achievement, from D to A*.
    My comp1 went better than last year I think as well, however I didn't finish the last question something about being in a stressed timed exam and trying to program doesn't work for me :/ but when I am free to do it when I want I do well (shown by comp4) .

Need to get a good mark on this comp3 to get my A.... Here's to hoping!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScruffyQuaver)
    My comp1 went better than last year I think as well, however I didn't finish the last question something about being in a stressed timed exam and trying to program doesn't work for me :/ but when I am free to do it when I want I do well (shown by comp4) .

Need to get a good mark on this comp3 to get my A.... Here's to hoping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Section A screwed me over. The amount of questions I skipped loool, however section B C and D should save me. And sorry to hear that mate, I understand some people hate the pressure of being under exam time constraints it doesn't help you focus. I panicked the first 30 minutes of that exam cause of all the pressure. Whereas with Comp4 you have time to think and do your thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Section A screwed me over. The amount of questions I skipped loool, however section B C and D should save me. And sorry to hear that mate, I understand some people hate the pressure of being under exam time constraints it doesn't help you focus. I panicked the first 30 minutes of that exam cause of all the pressure. Whereas with Comp4 you have time to think and do your thing.
    Section B was amazing haha, so easy. C was good as well, D was good up until I couldn't think at the end. I think we got the same in comp4? I got 69/75.

ReputationRep:
    Section B was amazing haha, so easy. C was good as well, D was good up until I couldn't think at the end. I think we got the same in comp4? I got 69/75.
    I got the same too

ReputationRep:
    anyone do comp2 today? found it went ok and should improve from last time (only go a C as i knew none of the hardware!) now to get to smashing comp3 been getting 110+ ums on past papers finding comp3 easiest unit by far only problems i have is ER diagrams (teacher has just told me to guess) and remembering definitions for the network comparisons any advice? also anyone got any past papers older than 2011 as I'm running out of past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputingIsLife)
    anyone do comp2 today? found it went ok and should improve from last time (only go a C as i knew none of the hardware!) now to get to smashing comp3 been getting 110+ ums on past papers finding comp3 easiest unit by far only problems i have is ER diagrams (teacher has just told me to guess) and remembering definitions for the network comparisons any advice? also anyone got any past papers older than 2011 as I'm running out of past papers
    I like your name, I'm giving you some rep because of that . Computing is love, computing is life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I like your name, I'm giving you some rep because of that . Computing is love, computing is life.
    aha cheers wanted computer science is life but it was to long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo54)
    Hey,

I am also taking COMP3. I got an A last year and am predicted an A*, but I got an A/B on the coursework so I doubt I'll get an A*.

I am also finding COMP3 sooo hard, and I have a huge pile of flash cards on my desk that doesn't seem to be going in. Plus I always seem to get the floating point questions wrong, and networking is usually quite tricky.
    Recursion seems the hardest for me. Just do not get it, when the teacher goes over it - fine, however on my own just... frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    How did comp2 go this time round? Better than last time?

ReputationRep:
    How did comp2 go this time round? Better than last time?
    Most definitely. Much much better than last year Last year I thought I was going to repeat the year so I didn't even bother revising much for Computing. This year I will say I am more positive about Computing and I know I did better in Comp2.

Now time to take on Comp3 full speed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Most definitely. Much much better than last year Last year I thought I was going to repeat the year so I didn't even bother revising much for Computing. This year I will say I am more positive about Computing and I know I did better in Comp2.

Now time to take on Comp3 full speed
    Well done

I did some hardcore revision for comp3 today (about 4 hours), found it actually pretty easy to revise. Using past papers, YouTube, Wikibooks and MultiWingSpan. There are a lot of resources available.

For everyone on the thread:

Opinion on setting up a WhatsApp chat group to ask questions and help each other? Obviously only worth it if there are several members

ReputationRep:
    Well done

I did some hardcore revision for comp3 today (about 4 hours), found it actually pretty easy to revise. Using past papers, YouTube, Wikibooks and MultiWingSpan. There are a lot of resources available.

Opinion on setting up a WhatsApp chat group to ask questions and help each other? Obviously only worth it if there are several members
    Thanks and yeah I like Comp3, defo really interesting. Going to start revising it soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iLastKinq)
    Recursion seems the hardest for me. Just do not get it, when the teacher goes over it - fine, however on my own just... frustrating.
    OMG! Same. When I'm at my desk I usually get all the dry run questions correct, but I always seem to get distracted if I'm doing it in class/mock situation.

It helps if you have a ruler to see what line you're on, then if you forget you know where you were (do you remember in primary school they'd often teach you to read line by line using a ruler, it's a similar method to that).

ReputationRep:
    Sacrificing my first born for an A in Comp3 is a legitimate tactic i will be considering
    Cheers to the many (all 1000 of us) who are taking this subject

ReputationRep:
    Well done

I'm up for that, if it happens send me a pm and I'll join. Don't usually read the thread all that often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuhwhatAlevels)
    Sacrificing my first born for an A in Comp3 is a legitimate tactic i will be considering
    Cheers to the many (all 1000 of us) who are taking this subject
    Same here!
    How do you know there are 1000 of us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjunlotay)
    Same here!
    i took a very calculated and estimated guess at the amount of people who would go through torture just for a good grade in this subject
    also im the only one in my class taking this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjunlotay)
    Same here!
    There's around 2000 students A2 students studying Computing.

Here's the full A-Level statistics for AQA. Search for Computing.
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2014.PDF

Now here's the AS Level statics for AQA. Search for computing
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2014.PDF

According to those stats, 3000 students drop Computing after their first year lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petick)
    I think I went overkill with mine...

Attachment 399801

I got a provisional mark of 72/75, but as there's only me and another guy in the class it's most likely going to drop a few marks (the topic I did was a bit obscure, and it took a while for my teacher to understand it).

Hoping that it doesn't though, I got a B in the AS a few UMS off A so hoping the coursework will boost me up a bit.

About halfway through writing up my notes neatly now, I've actually found the content really interesting this year.

What other subjects are people taking?
    Snap! I only got 67/75 provisional though :c
    I'm doing Further Maths and Physics. Halfway through Further Maths already lol =_=

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 12, 2016

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.