Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing a french region for the essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dukeofhazzard)
    Yes
    I'm doing Languedoc-Roussillon, how about you?

ReputationRep:

I'm doing Normandy! However I just don't like the region essay titles so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahdw)
    Yes
    I'm doing Languedoc-Roussillon, how about you?
    I'm doing Rhône-Alpes, how's revision going?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeistoff)
    I'm doing Normandy! However I just don't like the region essay titles so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly the same, I know the basic concepts - demography, geography, economy but the questions always have a sneaky element that are very hard to predict!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same, I know the basic concepts - demography, geography, economy but the questions always have a sneaky element that are very hard to predict!
    They're always so odd! What is your other topic? I'm doing la deuxième guerre and I prefer it so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han24)
    last years was SO hard
    ...Oh I thought last years listening was really easy compared to others. I did it for my mock and for more complicated questions I just made basic assumptions from my Geography knowledge :--)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing L'Etranger, anyone have any tips for it?? It's literally killing me

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I'm doing Un Sac de Billes and La Haine although I am only really preparing answers for essays on La Haine

anyone else doing these that could give me some tips or something when it comes to the essays? (since that is the area that I struggle with)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we have to be able to use imperfect subjunctive? Or just recognise it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia_e)
    hey guys, I'm doing Un Sac de Billes and La Haine although I am only really preparing answers for essays on La Haine

anyone else doing these that could give me some tips or something when it comes to the essays? (since that is the area that I struggle with)
    I'm doing un sac de billes and Amelie and I too am only preparing for the film question. In my opinion the essay questions for films are actually quite easy to prepare for. Because the questions have to take into account a sculptor, a director and an artist, the questions are always very generic and the mark schemes always talk about the questions being open to interpretation.

What I'm personally doing is learning a large section of a corrected essay on a techniques essay; I know the question last year was on techniques, but actually techniques is something which can be very widely applied to the questions. For example, if the questions they gave us this year were on, i dont know, the originality of the director/sculptor/artist or the importance of their work, for me I can easily say that the techniques that Jeunet used in directing Amelie have been very important in the development of cinematic styles and our appreciation of french cinema - then i can just write out what I've learned.

This is something that you can easily do, but the danger with it is if you forget that you arent just writing out your essay by memory. You have to make sure that at the start and end of each paragraph you refer back to the question and show clearly why what you've written is of relevance.

So if you want to do this, I would advise that you consider learning a section of work on techniques and a section on themes...because if you look back over the last few years there has always been one that you could apply on of these to - after all there are only so many questions they can ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen945)
    Do you think we have to be able to use imperfect subjunctive? Or just recognise it?
    You only have to recognise it. Besides you aren't going to get penalised if you don't put a structure in that's not in the spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LookIts_Liam)
    I'm doing un sac de billes and Amelie and I too am only preparing for the film question. In my opinion the essay questions for films are actually quite easy to prepare for. Because the questions have to take into account a sculptor, a director and an artist, the questions are always very generic and the mark schemes always talk about the questions being open to interpretation.

What I'm personally doing is learning a large section of a corrected essay on a techniques essay; I know the question last year was on techniques, but actually techniques is something which can be very widely applied to the questions. For example, if the questions they gave us this year were on, i dont know, the originality of the director/sculptor/artist or the importance of their work, for me I can easily say that the techniques that Jeunet used in directing Amelie have been very important in the development of cinematic styles and our appreciation of french cinema - then i can just write out what I've learned.

This is something that you can easily do, but the danger with it is if you forget that you arent just writing out your essay by memory. You have to make sure that at the start and end of each paragraph you refer back to the question and show clearly why what you've written is of relevance.

So if you want to do this, I would advise that you consider learning a section of work on techniques and a section on themes...because if you look back over the last few years there has always been one that you could apply on of these to - after all there are only so many questions they can ask
    This was the sort of thing I was going to do , I am hoping that themes comes up because it hasn't for a while, although I do see what you mean by applying techniques/themes to the more generic questions I'll definitely give that a try!

ReputationRep:
    I was considering just learning paragraphs for themes and techniques to be honest but I'm worried it will go wrong like I will forget or it just won't match with the q!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemxn)
    I was considering just learning paragraphs for themes and techniques to be honest but I'm worried it will go wrong like I will forget or it just won't match with the q!
    Well obviously you can't force it. But there will always be sentences and structures in there that you've learned and can use. And if it doesn't fit with the question you've still studied it so can write something. But genuinely over the last 3/4 years there have maybe been 1 or 2 questions that couldn't be answered by those two things. And that was one question last year on the work having an immediate effect on the public (although some techniques can be applicable to this) and another question on how society at the time influenced the director (although again i think i could apply some of what ive learned on techniques to this question).

But they do like to cycle questions and the likelihood of them thinking up two new questions that couldnt fit either of those is rather small, i can see how they would do it and have the questions remain relevant. Either way, if that does happen, if you know the work well and know a little bit of background you should still be fine...

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Barratier/Les Choristes (metteur en scène) and L'Avare (pièce). The essay's the big worry here, anyone have any ideas what the questions for those two topics might be?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please reassure me? I'm sosososoos worried about this exam! I got an A last year in both the exam and the speaking but I can't seem to get the grips of this exam and so worried it's going to bring me down... I'm getting like 52/70 on the practice papers and my essays vary - help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LookIts_Liam)
    You only have to recognise it. Besides you aren't going to get penalised if you don't put a structure in that's not in the spec
    Great thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oops...)
    I'm doing Barratier/Les Choristes (metteur en scène) and L'Avare (pièce). The essay's the big worry here, anyone have any ideas what the questions for those two topics might be?
    I'm doing Les Choristes too, and Jacques Prevert - have you chosen one that you think you will definitely do for the essay or will you just revise both and see what comes up? I'm really worried about the essay :/

ReputationRep:
    YOU ARE A GOD SEND!! Do you have the answers for these at all?

(Original post by kate_maria)
    1. If we used our cars less often there would beless traffic and fewer traffic jams
    2. I would have travelled by aeroplane but I didn’twant to leave a large carbon footprint
    3. Although she understands the consequences of airpollution she continues to take the train
    4. We must encourage car-sharing in order to reducecarbon emissions
    5. It seems to me that no one is thinking about theozone layer but we must change our habits
    6. Provided that we react immediately, it ispossible to reduce our carbon footprint
    7. So that we can be more “eco” it is important torecycle glass, paper and cardboard
    8. Cars and other vehicles emit too much carbon gaswhich pollutes the atmosphere
    9. Nowadays, most people are aware of the dangersrelated to global warming
    10. Nuclear power stations represent a high dangerto the earth, especially their nuclear waste
    11. There was an oil slick on the Atlantic coastrecently, and volunteers are cleaning the beaches
    12. It is possible to use less energy by turning outlights at home and by wearing jumpers
    13. Solar panels are a very efficient way ofgenerating energy but they are quite expensive
    14. Soon, there will be no more fossil fuels and wewill have to find other forms of energy
    15. You can save money by turning down the centralheating at home, especially in summer
    16. My neighbour has a bio roof but in my opinion itis very ugly
    17. Western countries should discourage the use ofcars, especially for short journeys
    18. What we need is to construct more and more windturbines in the countryside
    19. The rising price of petrol should discouragepeople from using their cars
    20. Tidal energy is a possible way of generatingeven more energy
    21. Coastal areas are very susceptible to tidalwaves
    22. In order to protect the planet we must protectendangered species
    23. I don’t want endangered species to disappear, soI am going to help charities who help them
    24. We must make people aware of the dangers offlooding
    25. People who drop litter in the street should paya fine
    26. In order that I can help people in the thirdworld I try to buy fair trade products
    27. Icebergs in the North Pole are melting so wemust try to stop global warming
    28. If global warming continues there will be moreand more floods
    29. Drought in hot countries leads to famine, whichleads to death
    30. There are fewer and fewer mammals such as walesand sharks in our waters
    31. Immigration has become a particularly thornyissue, especially with the extreme Right
    32. There are numerous asylum seekers who no longerhave any family
    33. Host countries do not want to accept too manyimmigrants in order to avoid overpopulation
    34. Several immigrants live with their own people inshantytowns
    35. Many people think that all immigrants receivelots of social security benefits
    36. Moonlighting is illegal but sometimes it is theonly way of earning money
    37. We must respect the heritage and customs ofeveryone, including immigrants
    38. Police tend to patrol border zones because theyare looking for illegal immigrants
    39. Many immigrants live below the poverty line andreceive donations from charities
    40. Fleeing a country is not easy and immigrants whodo so must think about their journey
    41. There was several riots in Paris recently whichtook place in the suburbs
    42. The unemployment rate amongst second generationimmigrants is very high
    43. Ethnic minorities sometimes have difficultyintegrating into society
    44. If there were more jobs there would be fewerriots and the rate of crime would decrease
    45. Inseveral European countries it is obligatory to always carry an identity card
    46. Integration is a thorny issue at the moment,especially before the recent elections
    47. Although I have respect for culturaldifferences, I don’t understand them
    48. This gang has never attacked him before, butthey have just begun targeting him
    49. Integrating into society is something which manyimmigrants manage to do
    50. If we do not discourage young people from votingfor Le Pen there will be more racism
    51. Social workers often work with immigrants tohelp them from day to day
    52. Despite everything, racism still exists and willalways exist
    53. Fighting against racism is the principal goal ofcharities such as SOS Racisme
    54. Despising those who are racist will not resolvethe problem
    55. People who commit racist attacks should go toprison
    56. Racists who attack innocent people should beincarcerated
    57. We must not legitimise racist sentiments byvoting for the extreme right
    58. Therewould be less tension on the estate if more police came to speak to theinhabitants
    59. Racismhas harmful effects on an individual if the police do not react
    60. I am not sure that I can help you but there are several anti-racism charities
    61. Illiteracy is a big problem amongst thehomeless, especially those who leave school early
    62. Giving money to those who beg will net resolvethe problem
    63. Life expectancy amongst the homeless is lowerthan those who do not live on the street
    64. The death rate continues to rise, despiteeverything that we have done to reduce it
    65. Having a full-time job is only a dream for manyunemployed people
    66. Educating those without qualification should bea priority for the government
    67. The economy will suffer if unemploymentcontinues to rise
    68. Debt is a serious problem for all countries, butespecially for those in the Third World
    69. The quality of life of the underprivileged isinferior to that of the well-off
    70. What is most important is to reduce the highnumber of redundancies as soon as possible
    71. Burgling my neighbour’s house is something Iwould never think of doing
    72. But he has just been arrested for burgling thelady who lives opposite him
    73. I am afraid of being kidnapped, even though Iknow it will probably never happen
    74. Reoffending is a way of life for many criminals,despite the possible penalties
    75. Criminals tend to target the weak andvulnerable, such as old people
    76. I am totally against the death penalty and I amnot sure that it can prevent violent crimes
    77. Shooting an individual is a serious crime and Ithink that guns should be banned
    78. Life imprisonment should be the only possiblesentence for rapists and murderers
    79. No one can understand how a criminal thinks
    80. An arsonist has just set fire to the school inmy neighbourhood
    81. I am completely against cloning, even if theresults will help us
    82. Curing illness such as HIV and cancer is theprincipal goal for many scientists
    83. If there were fewer illnesses there would alsobe fewer deaths
    84. Organ transplants save lives and so I would beready to donate an organ after my death
    85. Corn is a plant which has been geneticallymodified in order to be less susceptible to disease
    86. Scientists have sent a rocket into space to seeif life exists on the moon
    87. No one is going to use my DNA to clone anotherhuman being. What a nightmare!
    88. In the future we will all use cars which fly andwhich do not need petrol
    89. I think I saw a flying saucer last night butperhaps it was a UFO…
    90. Space travel is just a dream which will neverhappen!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.