The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography Exam predictions 19th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by neon_reaper
Sorry that I replied so late. It would probably help to include some of the positive aspects of it; the advantages, but those points were very good

The spec only asks for issues.
Reply 81
Can someone outline the formation of a meander for me
Formation of a meander:
-As a river goes around a river bend, most of the water is pushed to the outside causing erosion.

-On the inside of the bend the flow is much slower so deposition occurs- this makes the channel much slower and gently sloping.

-As the erosion continues the neck of the meander becomes narrower and eventually the river cuts through the neck of the meander.

-Deposition then blocks the old mender bend to leave an ox-bow lake.

remember deposition on the inside-slower current
erosion on the outside-faster current
Reply 83
I was looking at a past paper and one of the questions was on the formation of composite volcanoes and the mark scheme talked about convection currents and plate boundaries but I thought it was to do with build up of layers of ash and lava.

Can someone explain the formation please just so I can make sure?
Reply 84
Original post by hamiel
I was looking at a past paper and one of the questions was on the formation of composite volcanoes and the mark scheme talked about convection currents and plate boundaries but I thought it was to do with build up of layers of ash and lava.

Can someone explain the formation please just so I can make sure?

Plates move towards each other due to convection currents in the mantle. The denser oceanic plate sinks beneath the continental plate. The oceanic crust melts in the subduction zone, an ocean trench, due to friction and heat and a pool of magma forms. The rises and the pressure is released in an explosive eruption often along a fault - giving a steep sided volcano of lava and ash.
Reply 85
coasts case study on key haven salt marshes?
Reply 86
keyhaven salt marsh case study?
Original post by studentgooner
I wouldn't really think there would be a 6/8 mark question on supervolcanoes as there isn;t really a lot to write about

It might because there is quite a lot to write on Yellowstone, I really hope this comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hannzz98
It might because there is quite a lot to write on Yellowstone, I really hope this comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are some points you can make for yellowstone
Reply 89
Original post by ramseyisbuff
What are some points you can make for yellowstone

1000km^3 of ash and lava erupted - so 1000 times larger eruption than an ordinary volcano. Eeery country would be affected. 87, 000 estimated deaths. Daylight for whole continents may be blocked due to massive ash clouds
OMG did anyone find that exam so difficult? Hated it so so much, the explanation questions were quite easy but the ordinance survey questions were atrocious (to me anyway, we weren't taught ordinance surveys due to a really ****ty teacher we had)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missaxo
OMG did anyone find that exam so difficult? Hated it so so much, the explanation questions were quite easy but the ordinance survey questions were atrocious (to me anyway, we weren't taught ordinance surveys due to a really ****ty teacher we had)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What topics did you do today ?
Reply 92
Went quite well today in my opinion. Think I might have got around 57 so hopefully good boundaries!
I did Restless Earth, Living World and Water On Land
The 8 mark for WOL was terrible - transportation changes were tough for me
I did 1 4 and 5 and found it pretty easy, besides the last question on water on the land...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studentgooner
What topics did you do today ?

water on land, restless earth and coastal zones. Restless earth was the easiest IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Was the volcano in Restless Earth composite or shield? Some sources say composite, some shield. It was Eyjafjallajokull.
What was the 8 marker on living world please help
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TonyN98
Was the volcano in Restless Earth composite or shield? Some sources say composite, some shield. It was Eyjafjallajokull.

i just looked on the internet and it seems it is a composite but on the picture i swear it looked like a shield
Original post by TonyN98

Stratovolcano, so composite. I put a shield volcano but labelled it with composite characteristics! Will I get some marks? I'm so dumb, I said it had gentle slopes drew a gently sloping Volcano but other than that I did composite characteristics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TonyN98

I put shield since it looked flat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending