Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims - would you date a non-Muslim? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    In that case, I'm okay with you (and other Muslims) thinking that I have no right to call myself a Muslim. This is because the prophet said

“If a man addresses his brother as, ‘O’ Disbeliever’ (Kaafir) it returns to one of them; either it is as he said or it returns to him.”

and I can live with that.
    5:4 This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers.

2:221 And do not marry polytheistic women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you. And do not marry polytheistic men [to your women] until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a polytheist, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by His permission. And He makes clear His verses to the people that perhaps they may remember.

4:25 ...And Allah is most knowing about your faith. You [believers] are of one another. So marry them with the permission of their people and give them their due compensation according to what is acceptable. [They should be] chaste, neither [of] those who commit unlawful intercourse randomly nor those who take [secret] lovers...

By the following ayah, one cannot hold it against you and question if you are Muslim since perhaps you might be ignorant on the topic (which is why I am explaining this to you), thus your shahadah is not necessarily invalidated by unintentional acts of Kufr (like you might not be fully aware that denying that something is sinful when Allah has made it sinful through the Quran or prophetic teaching is an act of Kufr). Although the context of this verse is something else, the general principle remains the same:

2:225 Allah does not impose blame upon you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He imposes blame upon you for what your hearts have earned. And Allah is Forgiving and Forbearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tooly)
    If Allah is truly merciful and kind, you would think that someone who lives a good and charitable life merely based on who they are as a person and not for fear of going to hell shouldn't be punished for doing trivial things such as dating and eating pork? I find this notion of do completely as I say or go to hell absurd..
    A person is recompensed for what they earn - if his good outweighs his bad, and of his bad he asks for forgiveness, then he has nothing to fear of Hell.

I don't date in the first place.
    so no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz123)
    Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't, depends on so many factors tbh :/
    Please read my PM to you? After what u sent to me first x

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm just curious as to whether a practising Muslim would consider dating someone who is not of the same religion or avoid it, be it for family reasons, personal preference etc.
    I'd love to date them, christians and jews are very similar to us. I would marry too and no converting bull****. Should ask people upfront though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'd love to date them, christians and jews are very similar to us. I would marry too and no converting bull****. Should ask people upfront though
    I'm a fully confirmed catholic but I never practiced religion.

Am I seen as a Christian to a Muslim according to your rules? If so those rules are pretty much shown up to be stupid even though they only apply to men

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I'm a fully confirmed catholic but I never practiced religion.

Am I seen as a Christian to a Muslim according to your rules? If so those rules are pretty much shown up to be stupid even though they only apply to men

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, even if you were a girl you wouldn't meet the conditions lol

(Original post by Zamestaneh)
    Lol, teach those who do not know Islam about Islam, be friends with them, talk with them; that does not mean date them (and dating is haram - even other Muslims), and it doesn't mean marry them. Yes, a man can marry a *chaste* Christian or Jewish woman, but that does not mean date them.
    All this said, how many chaste Jews and Christians live here in the West and will willingly marry a Muslim man in a halal way? If you can find one and get to know them in a halal way, there is nothing sinful about it, but if you can't, then anything which breaches these rules is sinful. The Quran and Sunnah outlines these things. If you wish to now reject the Quran and the Sunnah based on your own whims, then you have no right to call yourself Muslim (since you are disbelieving in Islam by doing that); if you wish to accept that is sinful but still do the sin anyway, that just means you committed a sin but you are still a Muslim - this is the decision you have to make.

As said, there is a difference between saying 'I am willing to commit this sin' and saying 'this is/is not a sin'.
    I don't understand how Muslim men can marry Christian or Jewish women but Muslim women can't do the same? isn't this sexist?

Surly a marriage will more likely fail if a Muslim marries a Christian or a Jewish women because each religion is different and that could further problems within marriage such as, bringing up the kids, morality? Could they eat pork etc.

btw, I am not a muslim and just wondering.

I am not Muslim and don't see my self with any Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    If there were no boundaries I would.

Would be nice getting to know them especially Jews. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I am not Muslim and don't see my self with any Muslim.
    Damn it, and i thought there was something special brewing between us.

(Original post by saeed97)
    Damn it, and i thought there was something special brewing between us.
    Non sure if serious.

I don't even know you.

Why can't Muslim women marry Christian or Jewish men.

ReputationRep:
    Non sure if serious.

I don't even know you.

Why can't Muslim women marry Christian or Jewish men.
    Kek twas banter.

Idk ask them

Kek twas banter.

Idk ask them
    Are you not Muslim yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    Are you not Muslim yourself though.
    Yes thats why i said i was joking about being with you.

Yes thats why i said i was joking about being with you.
    You must have misunderstood my post.

you did not answer my question:

Why cant Muslim women marry Christian or Jewish men?

Genuine question.

ReputationRep:
    You must have misunderstood my post.

you did not answer my question:

Genuine question.
    Oh my bad.
    But i honestly have 0 knowledge on the subject so i cant really answer it. You'd get a better answer from a qualified scholar so sorry i cant help.

ReputationRep:

Genuine question.
    They need to be Muslim in order to marry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my bad.
    But i honestly have 0 knowledge on the subject so i cant really answer it. You'd get a better answer from a qualified scholar so sorry i cant help.
    Cool.

(Original post by SourLikeLemon)
    They need to be Muslim in order to marry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but why is it the opposite for males in Islam?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.