Turn on thread page Beta

Is Paedophilla always wrong? Should it be legalised? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemayxo)
    Trust me, I often feel like I could punch someone, usually when I get a rude customer at work. But NEVER have I thought of abusing children like that! there is a HUGE difference between the two, I'm sorry but I can't even understand what you are saying here? trust me, I am very understanding during debates/arguments, whatever you want to call it... but come on. Listen to what you're saying here.

Thinking about punching someone is a natural feeling, I sometimes think I could punch my best friend in the face when we spend too much time together, but that doesn't make me weird.

Having sexual thoughts about children is messed up, and disturbing. Anger is a natural feeling, we all feel it. Not everyone has sexual thoughts about children unless they are mentally unstable.

What else?
    It is a natural feeling for some people. Like homosexuality is a natural feeling.

Why do you not believe this? Paedophiles come from all walks of life. Very few are mentally unstable. The data is right there in the many research papers on the internet. Look some up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    I'm sorry but whoever came up with that must have had a very boring day at the office. Being attracted to a 18-19 year old (aka a a legal adult who can marry etc) is not is not any kind of *philia*. You will find that pretty much all men of all ages are sexually attracted to 18-19 year old women. Dismissed.
    "ephebphobia" whatever it is. Yes. So ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I often feel like I could punch someone, usually when I get a rude customer at work. But NEVER have I thought of abusing children like that! there is a HUGE difference between the two, I'm sorry but I can't even understand what you are saying here? trust me, I am very understanding during debates/arguments, whatever you want to call it... but come on. Listen to what you're saying here.
    You don't appear to be understanding (or even reading) what I'm trying to say.

You haven't said what makes person 2 worse than person 1.

Paedophilia, to clarify, is an "attraction", not an action (of "abusing children"). As I said in my last post, you are conflating a feeling with acting on that feeling (by using paedophilia (a sexual attraction) interchangeably with "abusing children").

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BugzyMalone)
    Paedophillia is prevalent in the bible and occurs in Middle Eastern countries. Also we've become accepting of all sorts of bizarre sexual orientations- homosexuality, asexuality, necrophillia and beastiality. The fact these are all accepted as the norm these days in society raises a quietly controversial question- should our views on Paedophillia change?
    Let's start by being quite clear about separating being a paedophile from being a child sex abuser. These are two completely different things.

Being a paedophile is a sexual orientation/attraction issue. There's nothing wrong with that per se. When it becomes wrong is when a paedophile acts on those attractions and sexually abuses a child. That will always be wrong in my view. (Whether it (molestation) is prevalent in the Bible or in some middle eastern countries is really irrelevant. When looking for moral guidance the Bible is normally my last port of call)

But to answer your broader question; should our views on paedophilia change?; I'd say absolutely. Gripped by paranoia few people seem able or willing to distinguish between a paedophile and a child abuser.

Beyond that, I'm not sure about elsewhere but here in Canada paedophiles do not even enjoy patient-doctor privilege. What this means is that if a paedophile speaks to his doctor about the possibility of getting counselling his doctor will very likely report the conversation to authorities. If he happens to be a father he runs the risk of having his children taken into care. If he happens to work with children he is likely to lose his job. The doctor and the authorities will consider the risk of inactivity and legal ramifications too high to bear. So effectively, there is no counselling for these people.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that bestiality and necrophilia are all accepted as the norm these days. Really? I must have missed that development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    Homosexuality is legal in some places because it is too controversial to debate the origins.
    Oh yeah that's definitely why it's legal.

I hope you are a troll otherwise I feel sorry for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    It is a natural feeling for some people. Like homosexuality is a natural feeling.

Why do you not believe this? Paedophiles come from all walks of life. Very few are mentally unstable. The data is right there in the many research papers on the internet. Look some up.
    Sexuality is thinking about someone of the same sex and you are officially that sexual orientation when you act on it and like it and continue to act on it. Same for hetero. Pedophilia is not a sexuality because children are not a sex. So your analogy between pedophiles and homosexuals doesn't apply.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because without the mental help, they will have sex with a child.
    Err... citation needed? Because from what I've read this is extremely wrong. Only a tiny number of paedophiles will actually abuse children.

I will not accept any counter-argument unless you back it up with evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    You don't appear to be understanding (or even reading) what I'm trying to say.

You haven't said what makes person 2 worse than person 1.

Paedophilia, to clarify, is an "attraction", not an action (of "abusing children". As I said in my last post, you are conflating a feeling with acting on that feeling (by using paedophilia (a sexual attraction) interchangeably with "abusing children".
    Do you not get what i'm saying? I just CLEARLY explained why one is worse than the other. One is a natural feeling and the other one is totally unatural, gross, and disturbing. Seriously?.

I'm always up for a good debate, but only when the other person is actually debating fairly. You don't seem to understand my points or what i'm trying to say, there for i'm going to end this here.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao which people have become accepting of necrophilia and bestiality? The answer is no one.

Also homosexuality, asexuality etc. aren't bizarre, you're just bigoted.

ReputationRep:

I have absolutely no words for people like you.

I'm not debating this anymore, with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about punching someone is a natural feeling
    So you're saying pedophilia should be against the law because it's unnatural. Should we arrest flat-earth nutjobs and throw them in prison as well?

Also how do you go about enforcing the illegalisation of pedophilia. Are you going to measure people's hormone levels when they look at kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Oh yeah that's definitely why it's legal.

I hope you are a troll otherwise I feel sorry for you
    It is too controversial to debate the origins. And upon doing so it can be seen as homophobic to create theories when homosexuals simply want it to be accepted as natural. I never provided my personal opinions on homosexuality ever in this thread. So there's no need to feel sorry for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not get what i'm saying? I just CLEARLY explained why one is worse than the other. One is a natural feeling and the other one is totally unatural, gross, and disturbing. Seriously?.
    So all "unatural [sic], gross, and disturbing" thoughts/feelings should be criminalised?

What would you define as an "unnatural" thought?

ReputationRep:
    No, a child cannot consent.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Sexuality is thinking about someone of the same sex and you are officially that sexual orientation when you act on it and like it and continue to act on it.
    Someone can be a particular sexual orientation without ever acting on it. You've continually conflated the idea of 'attraction to' with 'acting on'. To have an attraction to something, I need never act on something. You're continually committing a fallacy of false equivalence.

Same for hetero. Pedophilia is not a sexuality because children are not a sex. So your analogy between pedophiles and homosexuals doesn't apply.
    'Sexuality' and 'sexual orientation' are not the same thing. Yet again, fallacy of false equivalence. 'Sexuality' describes sexual orientation, fetishes, paraphilias, gender preferences, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Sexuality is thinking about someone of the same sex and you are officially that sexual orientation when you act on it and like it and continue to act on it. Same for hetero. Pedophilia is not a sexuality because children are not a sex. So your analogy between pedophiles and homosexuals doesn't apply.
    The er... what? Um... So..? You're saying that paedophilia is not a sexual attraction? It is a non-sexual attraction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    So all "unatural [sis], gross, and disturbing" thoughts should be criminalised?

What would you define as an "unnatural" thought?
    ANYTHING that involves thinking of children in a sexual way is messed up to me, in my opinion. End of, why are you trying to carry on this debate? you have your views, I have mine. Maybe neither of us are wrong, but i'm not going to carry this on when it's not going anywhere.

I won't try to change your opinion, so please don't try to change mine.

ReputationRep:
    OMG this is the best definition I've heard all day:
    Sexuality = Thinking about someone of the same sex.

Congratulations Cherie Amour. This definition will change the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    No, a child cannot consent.

/thread
    lool

The er... what? Um... So..? You're saying that paedophilia is not a sexual attraction? It is a non-sexual attraction?
    You don't understand words. Which is why you're being so extra.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no words for people like you.

I'm not debating this anymore, with anyone.
    Damn, I can't +1 this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.