Turn on thread page Beta

EU Referendum: Campaign to leave the European Union watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected campaign leader?
    RotatingPhasor
    4.17%
    Tahret
    0%
    Adam9317
    12.50%
    Nigel Farage MEP
    54.17%
    United1892
    16.67%
    PetrosAC
    4.17%
    Hazzer1998
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    I'd love to see a reformed Europe, something that's little more than just a free trade agreement with some level of freedom of movement thrown in, because I am pretty pro immigration.

But unlike many, I know my wish for a streamlined union is nothing more than a ridiculous pipe dream. Even Cameron's plastic and very muted reforms will get laughed out of the door as unworkable. For as long as we're losing our law making powers to an out of touch unelected commission of ageing bureaucrats I am proud to say I will be a member of this campaign for us to leave the EU I'll rule myself out of any leadership positions though, I need to avoid diluting my efforts on the rest of the site!

To put my SL hat on for a second. We discussed the prospect of giving each individual campaign their own subforum for this campaign in a recent meet up. Everyone was really keen about the whole referenda thing as we've been looking to do something EU related for a while, but to cut a long story short, we don't think the subfora idea is going to be workable unfortunately :no:
    It's not the creation of the subforums that's the problem, but rather the mechanism for giving people the right access to them. Since the campaigns aren't being done along party lines, we'd need two extra usergroups to manage the access permissions to the created subfora. But the creation of these contribute to global slowdown (ie: across the entire site) so we can't create them unless there's a really good excuse. Even the recent Crisis Committee is using a repurposed Libertarian usergroup with a repurposed Opposition subforum.
    That seems bizarre - not just that it should cause such slowdown, but that apparently a new usergroup for supporters of friggin Aston Villa FC was apparently justifiable

ReputationRep:
    After much thought, I'm going to throw my hat in for leader as well.

For those that don't know, I had a name change - I'm not a totally new guy
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tahret)
    After much thought, I'm going to throw my hat in for leader as well.

For those that don't know, I had a name change - I'm not a totally new guy
    Just relatively new I joke. All the best, wouldn't mind if you came second after me

In all seriousness though, we're all going to have like one vote each for Leader and one person will have like two because we're all standing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If what Jarred says is the final word from the CT, the I return to my hasty suggestion yesterday: if the newer threads in UKIP's private forum can be temporarily moved to the recycle bin for the duration of the referendum, the UKIP forum can be used for the campaign. Any party forum can be used for the debate but I suggest UKIP's because it will prevent any issues where two party members are on different sides of the debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Just relatively new I joke. All the best, wouldn't mind if you came second after me

In all seriousness though, we're all going to have like one vote each for Leader and one person will have like two because we're all standing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let me get my 26287 dupe accounts out...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tahret)
    Let me get my 26287 dupe accounts out...
    You're gonna need more than that I've got 396859849 dupes lined up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    If what Jarred says is the final word from the CT, then I return to my hasty suggestion yesterday: if the newer threads in UKIP's private forum can be temporarily moved to the recycle bin for the duration of the referendum, the UKIP forum can be used for the campaign. Any party's sub-forum can be used for the debate but I suggest UKIP's because it will prevent any issues where two party members are on different sides of the debate.
    I've discussed this with Nigel, and although I will only have UKIP authority until the new leader has been elected; it will likely be their decision. But I would be ok for that to happen, on the basis that the threads are moved somewhere safe, and guaranteed to be returned!

ReputationRep:
    Wow… If TSR is really written so badly that two new user groups would slow down the whole site so much that they're not willing to do it even for two or three weeks, then it's probably better to start from scratch. Even the good old open source phpBB forums that we were using as kids back in 2005 had this functionality and it was a matter of several clicks to have it set up.

We could always take the campaign preparations off site, you know…
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'd love to see a reformed Europe, something that's little more than just a free trade agreement with some level of freedom of movement thrown in, because I am pretty pro immigration.

But unlike many, I know my wish for a streamlined union is nothing more than a ridiculous pipe dream. Even Cameron's plastic and very muted reforms will get laughed out of the door as unworkable. For as long as we're losing our law making powers to an out of touch unelected commission of ageing bureaucrats I am proud to say I will be a member of this campaign for us to leave the EU I'll rule myself out of any leadership positions though, I need to avoid diluting my efforts on the rest of the site!

To put my SL hat on for a second. We discussed the prospect of giving each individual campaign their own subforum for this campaign in a recent meet up. Everyone was really keen about the whole referenda thing as we've been looking to do something EU related for a while, but to cut a long story short, we don't think the subfora idea is going to be workable unfortunately :no:
    It's not the creation of the subforums that's the problem, but rather the mechanism for giving people the right access to them. Since the campaigns aren't being done along party lines, we'd need two extra usergroups to manage the access permissions to the created subfora. But the creation of these contribute to global slowdown (ie: across the entire site) so we can't create them unless there's a really good excuse. Even the recent Crisis Committee is using a repurposed Libertarian usergroup with a repurposed Opposition subforum.
    Ignore this, can't feel delete and I didn't read to the end

Saying that, I must echo everybody else and ask just how badly that Jew code is written if this is a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Wow… If TSR is really written so badly that two new user groups would slow down the whole site so much that they're not willing to do it even for two or three weeks, then it's probably better to start from scratch. Even the good old open source phpBB forums that we were using as kids back in 2005 had this functionality and it was a matter of several clicks to have it set up.

I thought off-site communications hindered activity

In all seriousness, if we can't get a subforum we have to look to alternatives
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    That seems bizarre - not just that it should cause such slowdown, but that apparently a new usergroup for supporters of friggin Aston Villa FC was apparently justifiable
    My understanding is that its because every time a page is loaded by the user it calculates if they have permission to access that page by checking all of the usergroup memberships. So adding more means extra checks have to be done on every page when it is loaded. It seems bizarrely inefficient, I assume it's not quite as primitive as the way I've described, but it does still have some effect. I guess the football lot think the same about our party subfora though

It's not a significant slowdown, or at least I assume it isn't. Tbh I only ever had this stuff explained to me once and it was ages ago, we didn't specifically talk about this factor when we discussed it the other day. It's probably not even milliseconds but to be fair, given how few of us are going to actually use this thing (like 20 people out of millions of unique visitors) it makes sense to not give this major priority if it has these sorts of optimisation problems.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    If what Jarred says is the final word from the CT, then I return to my hasty suggestion yesterday: if the newer threads in UKIP's private forum can be temporarily moved to the recycle bin for the duration of the referendum, the UKIP forum can be used for the campaign. Any party's sub-forum can be used for the debate but I suggest UKIP's because it will prevent any issues where two party members are on different sides of the debate.
    Definitely possible. Well, I don't know if I could move UKIP stuff to the Recycle Bin because then I wouldn't know how to get the same stuff back. But I could move it all over to an empty forum like the Government. But then it wouldn't be fair for this campaign to have a subforum and the other one not to. I'll have a think about whether there are some really neat simple solutions to this that haven't been thought of yet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    It shouldn't... To be fair, it'll depend on the customisation the dev team have put behind vBulletin, but even then, the Admin panel won't have been changed much, if at all, and so the time may be increased by a few mins! Theoretically, it should be going onto the sub-forum settings page, and changing which usergroups (in this case, deselecting the relevant party usergroups) have access to the sub-forum. I believe the reason that it takes so long, is because it's low priority for the CT...

however, if this isn't the case, and things aren't so simple, I'd love to know, and then I'd love to know why so much has been changed from the default vBulletin admin settings...
    Given the EU debate doesn't split along party lines, it wouldn't be that simple - it'd be a case of needing to add person by person depending on the side they take.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I didn't even notice those football user groups. TSR staff, hello! Set your priorities straight…

It's not a significant slowdown, or at least I assume it isn't. Tbh I only ever had this stuff explained to me once and it was ages ago, we didn't specifically talk about this factor when we discussed it the other day. It's probably not even milliseconds but to be fair, given how few of us are going to actually use this thing (like 20 people out of millions of unique visitors) it makes sense to not give this major priority if it has these sorts of optimisation problems.
    Well, if the process of creation isn't an issue and the impact on performance is negligible, why can it not be done? You said yourself that “the creation of [the user groups] contribute to global slowdown (ie: across the entire site) so we can't create them unless there's a really good excuse” – why does there have to be a really good excuse to spare “not even milliseconds” for two or three weeks?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Given the EU debate doesn't split along party lines, it wouldn't be that simple - it'd be a case of needing to add person by person depending on the side they take.
    Yes and no - you'd just create two usergroups, and set them up to access the sub-forum - obviously this is hindered by what Jarred has said, and I only echo what everyone else has said about that...

EDIT: reading back, I didn't make my other post very clear - of course you'd set it so that the relevant usergroup would access it... not the party groups!)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I don't think this is against the rules, but what if I offered up an off site forum which could be used for the duration of this!? (It's one a friend had a while back, whom doesn't use it now, but I have access, and could repurpose it so that we could have somewhere private for campaign purposes?)
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I don't think this is against the rules, but what if I offered up an off site forum which could be used for the duration of this!? (It's one a friend had a while back, whom doesn't use it now, but I have access, and could repurpose it so that we could have somewhere private for campaign purposes?)
    Im up for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If the CT are unwilling or unable to provide a suitable means of doing it, then they can hardly complain when activity goes off-site.

ReputationRep:
    I back a UKIPper for this. Nigel springs out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Haha, I didn't even notice those football user groups. TSR staff, hello! Set your priorities straight…

Well, if the process of creation isn't an issue and the impact on performance is negligible, why can it not be done? You said yourself that “the creation of [the user groups] contribute to global slowdown (ie: across the entire site) so we can't create them unless there's a really good excuse” – why does there have to be a really good excuse to spare “not even milliseconds” for two or three weeks?
    Especially since they will probably end up being created for something else anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

I don't work for the company so I can't answer any of that. Bare in mind half of this is just me putting two and two together from talks about usergroups I had years ago, a lot of what I'm saying could be complete nonsense so I'll stop because I get the feeling I'm doing more harm than good.

The best I can say is that the possibility of subfora for this event was discussed and it wasn't deemed feasible. Now, if I can think of a solution that uses what we already have available in the community which doesn't require anything excessive then we'll roll with it but otherwise I guess we will just have to use these threads :dontknow: Gimme a few days though and we'll see.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.