ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleIndie)
    Hi!
    I received an interview invite a few weeks ago for January. My stats are
    Highers: AAAAA
    Advanced Highers: AAA
    UKCAT: 2750
    SJT: band 1
    I'm the only one I know who has heard back and I know other applicants with better stats who haven't heard anything. Does anyone know what makes them send out invites earlier to others?
    Are you a gap year applicant because I heard that St Andrews give higher weighting to achieved academics and if you already have your Advanced Highers that would help?

Oh and well done Have you received any other interview offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigs1998)
    Are you a gap year applicant because I heard that St Andrews give higher weighting to achieved academics and if you already have your Advanced Highers that would help?

Oh and well done Have you received any other interview offers?
    No, I forgot to say that they are my predicted grades for this year.

And thanks! I have had interviews at Aberdeen and Glasgow and am just waiting to hear back from Edinburgh. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleIndie)
    No, I forgot to say that they are my predicted grades for this year.

And thanks! I have had interviews at Aberdeen and Glasgow and am just waiting to hear back from Edinburgh. How about you?
    Me too! How do feel they went?

ReputationRep:
    do you think interviewers were friendlier and more welcoming at Glasgow or at Aberdeen? I am hearing a lot of mixed comments about this !

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed both of them - the interviewers were really friendly and it went by really quickly! How did you find them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when the last interview invites will be sent out? I know they interview up till March but do not know how much notice they Give !

ReputationRep:
    Did those who have received interviews (and are Scottish) apply for the Scottish pathway?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone Just thought I'd pop by this thread and say, I'm a current third year student. I can't really answer any questions about selection / interview as things have changed since I applied, but I certainly know all about the town and the course etc. so if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Hi everyone Just thought I'd pop by this thread and say, I'm a current third year student. I can't really answer any questions about selection / interview as things have changed since I applied, but I certainly know all about the town and the course etc. so if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask!
    Hi, anything you don't like about the school or the course that you think other schools would be better with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunburner)
    Hi, anything you don't like about the school or the course that you think other schools would be better with?
    To be honest with you, I'm not sure I could really fault the teaching. It really is excellent, they group lectures together well, practical classes generally do follow on logically from what you've been learning in lectures etc.
    Currently, we still do full-body dissection (I've heard rumours they're thinking of changing it, but they're nothing more than rumours tbh). In first year I found dissection extremely useful. By third year I lost interest and would have happily not gone to any dissection classes. But that's probably just me

What I will say is, it sometimes feels as if I'm studying a science degree and not medicine. We do do clinical skills and placement etc but the course is heavily focussed on the theory side. Being a pre-clinical school that's hardly surprising, but something to be aware of. I sometimes feel as if my St Andrews degree is something to 'get out of the way' before my real training begins, and I'm not sure I should feel that way.

There are also a lot of exams. Each semester lasts about 14 weeks (exam weeks included - there are about 11 or 12 teaching weeks) and there's a mid-semester assessment in Week 7 along with end of semester exams in week 13/14. This has, frankly, knackered me out and I'd be happy to never see another exam again. (Thankfully as I'm a third year I've now done all my written exams at St Andrews so won't have to for a while )
    If you keep on top of the workload the exams themselves aren't that bad, but I did always feel under pressure.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, I'm not sure I could really fault the teaching. It really is excellent, they group lectures together well, practical classes generally do follow on logically from what you've been learning in lectures etc.
    Currently, we still do full-body dissection (I've heard rumours they're thinking of changing it, but they're nothing more than rumours tbh). In first year I found dissection extremely useful. By third year I lost interest and would have happily not gone to any dissection classes. But that's probably just me

What I will say is, it sometimes feels as if I'm studying a science degree and not medicine. We do do clinical skills and placement etc but the course is heavily focussed on the theory side. Being a pre-clinical school that's hardly surprising, but something to be aware of. I sometimes feel as if my St Andrews degree is something to 'get out of the way' before my real training begins, and I'm not sure I should feel that way.

There are also a lot of exams. Each semester lasts about 14 weeks (exam weeks included - there are about 11 or 12 teaching weeks) and there's a mid-semester assessment in Week 7 along with end of semester exams in week 13/14. This has, frankly, knackered me out and I'd be happy to never see another exam again. (Thankfully as I'm a third year I've now done all my written exams at St Andrews so won't have to for a while )
    If you keep on top of the workload the exams themselves aren't that bad, but I did always feel under pressure.
    Thanks for sharing, thats a lot of good information ! thats a shame about the emphasis on theory, I did not know this !
    I come from a school where there are several hundred people in each year, but at St A or other med schools where theres only approx. 150 people in each year, does it feel like you know people very well and that youre all very closely acquainted with each other?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing, thats a lot of good information ! thats a shame about the emphasis on theory, I did not know this !
    I come from a school where there are several hundred people in each year, but at St A or other med schools where theres only approx. 150 people in each year, does it feel like you know people very well and that youre all very closely acquainted with each other?
    No problem (:
    The theory isn't necessarily a bad thing! I'm sure other people have their own opinions on it - just personally, I feel ready to move on. Though I suppose I am fairly confident in my knowledge base for clinical years!

Err.. I have my own little group of friends within the med school. People tend to settle into friendship groups after the first few weeks, but that's natural I think. I'd say that people tend to be very open and friendly so it's easy to make friends, but I wouldn't say everyone is friends with everyone. It would get a bit tiresome
    There are people in my year I don't think I've ever spoken to but I could at least recognise and name them.

ReputationRep:
    No problem (:
    The theory isn't necessarily a bad thing! I'm sure other people have their own opinions on it - just personally, I feel ready to move on. Though I suppose I am fairly confident in my knowledge base for clinical years!

Err.. I have my own little group of friends within the med school. People tend to settle into friendship groups after the first few weeks, but that's natural I think. I'd say that people tend to be very open and friendly so it's easy to make friends, but I wouldn't say everyone is friends with everyone. It would get a bit tiresome
    There are people in my year I don't think I've ever spoken to but I could at least recognise and name them.
    LOL thats good I know it was a strange quesiton but it is because if I go to St Andrews there will be someone who is also going there that I would want to avoid where possible and I wanted to know how easy it would be to avoid them in such a small setting !

ReputationRep:
    LOL thats good I know it was a strange quesiton but it is because if I go to St Andrews there will be someone who is also going there that I would want to avoid where possible and I wanted to know how easy it would be to avoid them in such a small setting !
    Ah I see haha
    Probably hard to completely avoid someone else if I'm honest. But I've never tried to

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see haha
    Probably hard to completely avoid someone else if I'm honest. But I've never tried to
    Haha well not completely , just as long as I am not bumping into them at every turn I am sure I will be just fine

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see haha
    Also wanted to ask what is your favorite thing abt St Andrews University and how would you rate the enjoyability of your experience so far out of 10?

ReputationRep:
    Also wanted to ask what is your favorite thing abt St Andrews University and how would you rate the enjoyability of your experience so far out of 10?
    Ooh, that's a tough one.

St Andrews is a unique place. I am perhaps not a typical student in that I live in Dundee and commute in as I actually prefer cities. But St Andrews is a beautiful place and strolling down the beach at sunset doesn't get old.
    As the town is very student-y, there are also loads of opportunities to get involved in things. If you can think of a society, it probably exists.

Not sure I could rate it out of ten There are things I like (the course, my friends, the scenery) and things I don't (quite isolated, a lot of exams, I prefer city life). I do know that, overall, I'd definitely recommend it here.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, that's a tough one.

St Andrews is a unique place. I am perhaps not a typical student in that I live in Dundee and commute in as I actually prefer cities. But St Andrews is a beautiful place and strolling down the beach at sunset doesn't get old.
    As the town is very student-y, there are also loads of opportunities to get involved in things. If you can think of a society, it probably exists.

Not sure I could rate it out of ten There are things I like (the course, my friends, the scenery) and things I don't (quite isolated, a lot of exams, I prefer city life). I do know that, overall, I'd definitely recommend it here.
    It sounds good ! Just wondering, for medical school exams do you have to get As and perform well in order to graduate\be considered a good student, or is merely passing the exams good enough? Not sure how it works and what happens if you do badly or fail an exam !

ReputationRep:
    It sounds good ! Just wondering, for medical school exams do you have to get As and perform well in order to graduate\be considered a good student, or is merely passing the exams good enough? Not sure how it works and what happens if you do badly or fail an exam !
    The school gives you a decile ranking as well as your percentage score on your test. They have a formula that determines whether or not you pass and it is quite complicated, but very fair. They remove questions that were not taught in the curriculum and they also ensure that you aren't punished for a difficult test that year. With that being said there is still a degree classification and I would say that about 20% of the year on any specific test will get a provisional first i.e. 17 out of 20 or higher and probably the majority around 50-60% would get an upper second, with about 15-20% getting a lower second, <5% getting a 3rd and <5% failing.

I remember my year went from 150 students to 130 by 3rd year, so people do drop out, switch courses etc.

It sounds scary but it really isn't honestly!

The first thing they tell you in medical school is that you all used to be the top in your respective schools and now you won't be. Being average is great in medical school. First year grades don't count for your degree classification or for anything else, they only count if you wanted to apply separately to Cambridge.

Grades do still matter somewhat in second year first semester because your first choice rankings for your clinical hospital/school are based on those rankings i.e. top of the year gets their first choice school/base hospital and it goes down from there.

Grades also matter in second year second semester for your honors dissertation supervisor choices, first rank gets their first choice supervisor.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, you just have to pass. Though do be aware that you graduate from St Andrews with a degree that's graded in the usual style (First, 2:1 etc).

I'm not sure exactly what happens if you fail, but I think there are quite good processes in place. As in, you do have to pass everything but there are opportunities to resit. If there are concerns about your academic performance I believe you get called in to speak with the pro deans but I'm not sure exactly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.